3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need Some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 09:23 PM

Need Some Advice

Hi Everyone,

I have a few problems that I hope you guys can help with. I posted this earlier but didn't get many responses, I hope this time around I get a little more . I have a 1989 Nissan Maxima SE and I have been experiencing some minor but annoying problems that are just ****ing me off. I love my car and I really don't want to get rid of it due to little things, but I feel like I am getting driven to do that.

1. The tranny has always since I bought it yanked into second gear, not an incredible yank, but just enough to annoy me over the past year to the point where I am now.

2. The car felt faster then it feels now. I wish I knew why.

3. When I come to a stop the RPM's drop and makes the car shutter a little for a quick second (Very annoying when there are guests in your vehicle).

I really hope that you guys can help me with this. I really would like solutions to these problems or advice in the least. I will give you a run down on what I did to my car if that helps.

New O2 Sensor
New Platinum Spark Plugs
New PCV Valve
New Exhaust System
New Belts
New Hoses
Hayden Tranny Cooler
New Brakes
New Air Filter
Throttle Body Cleaned Out
Advanced Timing
Regular Oil Changes
Always Use Premium Fuel
New Tires/Rims
Tranny Oil Is Clear and Clean (Just had it checked)
Computer Diagnostic Showed Up OK

Please Help Me.
Old 12-22-2001, 11:40 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well......

1. might be a broken engine mount, if it is most likely the front one is the culprit!

not real sure about the others.....sorry!
Old 12-23-2001, 03:44 AM

mmmmm.........

Well there is always a way to fix something....

Well the tranny may need a complete flush and replacement of transmission oil. I recomend synthetic transmission oil. Get a tranny cooler straight away. Heat kills these transmissions.

Yes the engine mounts may be broken and need to be repaired...
Thats all I can help U on dude... Hope it helps.... Safe motoring...
Old 12-23-2001, 09:52 AM

Re: mmmmm.........

Originally posted by KITT
Well there is always a way to fix something....

Well the tranny may need a complete flush and replacement of transmission oil. I recomend synthetic transmission oil. Get a tranny cooler straight away. Heat kills these transmissions.

Yes the engine mounts may be broken and need to be repaired...
Thats all I can help U on dude... Hope it helps.... Safe motoring...

I had the motor mounts replaced actually. I had that done in April. As for the tranny problem. The oil that I have in there is clean, I am not sure if it is Synthetic though. The mechanic said that since it is clean I shouldn't mess around with it. If you think that a complete Tranny flush and fresh Synthetic Tranny oil can solve the problem that I will try that in the next week. I do have a Hayden Tranny Cooler already. What would you reccomend as a good Synthetic Oil to use? And since my oil is clean would flushing my tranny and putting new Synthetic oil in there cause any real problems? Around how much does this procedure cost, not that it's a problem, I just want an idea. Thanks for you repsponse, I hope you can help.
Old 12-23-2001, 11:21 AM

I have the answer. I had the same shaking problem and I recently fixed it. Basically you need to raise your idle speed. Lemme find the link for instructions.
Old 12-23-2001, 11:22 AM

here ya go

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....djust+and+idle
Old 12-23-2001, 12:51 PM
Mikes90GXE

Re: here ya go

A good way to check if your engine mount is bad - With trans. in drive and foot on brake, press on gas and see if the engine rocks upward in the engine compartment. Try in reverse also. If engine moves much, especially if it 'klunks' with the gas/no gas cycle, then the mount/mounts are bad.

The shift into second gear could be causing your engine to rotate against the bad mounts therefore causing the klunk-like shift.

Old 12-23-2001, 01:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I can't help much, but does anyone know if there's the possibility a few of these could be all transmission troubles? (Not VB or clutch related, but maybe electrical/electronic?)

Rough shifting into second, and when you come to a stop it's almost like the torque converter doesn't want to unlock all the way and tries to haul the engine down to a stop with it...

Yes/no?
Old 12-24-2001, 06:57 AM

Re: Re: mmmmm.........

Originally posted by pimpofbrooklyn

I had the motor mounts replaced actually. I had that done in April. As for the tranny problem. The oil that I have in there is clean, I am not sure if it is Synthetic though. The mechanic said that since it is clean I shouldn't mess around with it. If you think that a complete Tranny flush and fresh Synthetic Tranny oil can solve the problem that I will try that in the next week. I do have a Hayden Tranny Cooler already. What would you reccomend as a good Synthetic Oil to use? And since my oil is clean would flushing my tranny and putting new Synthetic oil in there cause any real problems? Around how much does this procedure cost, not that it's a problem, I just want an idea. Thanks for you repsponse, I hope you can help.
Well see Im from Australia so Im not sure if teh same oils are sold over where U R from dude. I had my tranny flushed and had Castrol Transmax Z put in. It cost me $120 for 8 litres of oil and another $60 for the service. But its worth it if ya want the tranny to keep going. I have noticed better shifting and it handles heat better. After all the stop and start driving that I do in Sydney... hehe... :P
I suggest that U get a flush done and get a good brand synthetic tranny oil put in. Ok ... Let me noe how ya go! Merry Xmas...