3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

More injector joy

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 PM

More injector joy

Four months ago I replaced all 6 injectors with some new Beck/Arnley ones I got a Rock Auto. Two months ago—engine running rough—one of the new injectors on Cyl 2 tested as open with an ohmmeter. I pulled the manifold and replaced it. Last week—engine running rough—couldn't be another injector so I took it to the dealer for a diagnostic. They said the computer was showing a misfire in Cyl 1 and said it was the injector. The ohmmeter is showing it as in spec (12.5ish), however that is the only injector that I can hear above the sound of the engine. The others I have to use some sort of stethoscope (aka: pinch bar) to hear and when I do, they sound much smoother the the loud one. I got another replacement coming, but I'm not looking forward to pulling the manifold off again. Would a noisy injector be a likely sign its bad even though its resistance is in spec? And, I wonder when the next new injector will go bad. I wish I would have bought Bosch the first go around instead of going cheap.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by redhunter
I wish I would have bought Bosch the first go around instead of going cheap.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:36 PM

What does it sound like? I just got done replacing mine. (had to pull 3x cuz of wrong o-rings "flodded the motor") Don't want to have to do this again for a while.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by maximo018
What does it sound like? . . .
Hard to describe other than it is clearly audible above the noise of the engine. Somewhat of a pneumatic sound, like a small pump. A more objective test is to check if your MPGs have dropped dramatically. I normally get 23ish, but when it dropped to 16 I began looking for the problem, which the dealer pointed out was the injector with some sort of mechanical problem flooding the cylinder.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 AM

I recently replaced my 2 of my injectors( 2 went bad at the same time) Car ran fine for a few months. Now all of a sudden Im driving down the road, and I stop and I lift the hood, and hear this pretty loud vacuum leak??? It starts to affect my idle speed, and now it seems as if the car hesitates on acceleration. Someone told me it was the injector on cylinder #3 that I just replaced. The mechanic poured water on the area near where the vacuum leak was coming from, and it seemed to be coming from the injector, because once the water hit it, the hissing got louder. I never heard of injectors making this sound before?? Well Ill be taking the manifold off again early in the morning. Gas is too high to have bad injectors!
Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 PM

Mine Hissed their a$$es off when I had the wrong o-rings. 1/2 a tank flooded the engine.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by maximo018
Mine Hissed their a$$es off when I had the wrong o-rings. 1/2 a tank flooded the engine.
Wrong O-rings...didn't go with aftermarket did you?
Old 04-09-2011, 07:53 AM

I think I pinched the fuel rail insulator rubber oring thinggy. I traced the hissing sound to one injector after pouring water on it, Ill have to see if I can get it to seat correctly.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I replaced all 6 injectors on my 93 sohc and now 1&3 cylinders are flooding. Took it do the dealer who said they couldn't get a reading from the computer and it needed replaced before they could do anything else. No longer available, so ebay time. Got one and same problem, got another, same problem. Replaced injectors, same problem. Thinking of getting a reman computer since they still say they can't detect it, but before I spend 350.00 I thought I would see if anyone had any other suggestions. One thing I will add, found the ground under the battery was disconnected, so reattached that and it helped somewhat.

Last edited by bglea; 04-30-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:29 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by bglea
I replaced all 6 injectors on my 93 sohc and now 1&3 cylinders are flooding. Took it do the dealer who said they couldn't get a reading from the computer and it needed replaced before they could do anything else. No longer available, so ebay time. Got one and same problem, got another, same problem. Replaced injectors, same problem. Thinking of getting a reman computer since they still say they can't detect it, but before I spend 350.00 I thought I would see if anyone had any other suggestions. One thing I will add, found the ground under the battery was disconnected, so reattached that and it helped somewhat.
I'll have to look and see if I have another VG auto ECU... BUT, these ECU's don't really tell you a damn thing when you "hook up to them". They're not OBD2, and have nowhere near the realtime data gathering. And the person "hooking up" might not know what he's doing, and your ECU is probably fine.

Odds are you just pinched a couple o-rings when installing the injectors, hence the flooding.. unfortunate but extremely common mistake. If you take the fuel rail up out of the intake, then turn the key on to make the fuel pump run, you SHOULD observe fuel leakage, on those 2 cylinders.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:19 AM

Whenever I have injector issues I remove spark plugs of all cylinders and crank the car over (whilst cold of course) if any tidal waves of juice come out, those injectors are ffried
Old 05-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Maxkiller
Whenever I have injector issues I remove spark plugs of all cylinders and crank the car over (whilst cold of course) if any tidal waves of juice come out, those injectors are ffried
not necessarily fried tho... like i said, if the o-rings are leaking, then the fuel will usually leak down, into the intake ports, pool up on top of the intake valve until it opens then drop into the cylinder. so the injector might be 100% fine, but needs to have been installed correctly. Also if you mix and match VG and VE injectors on a later year (93-94) VG that has the newer style injectors/rails, then you will have some cylinders running at 180cc and some at 259cc.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:56 AM

I've used auto salvage injectors from local JY's and they have worked great in the past. CapedCadaver is on the money with his posted opinions or atleast I agree with him. Hey Redhunter, what ever happened with your situation and did you try to get your money/replacements for those Beck/Arnley injectors??