3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How to use a miltimeter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 11:04 PM

How to use a miltimeter?

I recently bought a digital multimeter from harbor freight on sale. I dont really know how to use it to test my injectors. Ive got one or 2 going out slowly, I can feel it at idle whenever I turn my a/c on, and I can feel the Iac vale speed up the idle somtimes when I come to a stop, so i know the injectors are the culprit, which one I dont know yet. I can usually tell by pulling the plugs on them, but they havent completly died yet. SO as to why I got the multimeter. It has three holes on it for sticking the prongs into. It also has the dc setting which I set it at 20 or 200. The prongs are red and black. Do i put them both on the injector wires at the same time, or is the red supposed to go on a certain wire, and the same thing for the black prong? please help .
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 PM

If you got the $4.99 one that I'm seeing on their website, first remove the injector plug, set the **** to 200 ohms, turn on the multimeter and place each prong to each pin of the injector as so

Old 07-06-2011, 06:23 AM

How do you know it not that your Iacv needs to be adjusted down or your idle adjusted up? Do you have a miss?
Old 07-06-2011, 07:07 AM

Did you try reading the instructions by any chance?

COM = negative. You then stick the positive probe into the corresponding port for whichever reading you're trying to obtain and turn the dial to the correct range. If the range is unknown, start high and go lower until you achieve an accurate reading. Polarity does not matter.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by jbbons25
If you got the $4.99 one that I'm seeing on their website, first remove the injector plug, set the **** to 200 ohms, turn on the multimeter and place each prong to each pin of the injector as so

Ok thanks man for that detailed picture, and yes thats the exact same one miltimeter that I have.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
How do you know it not that your Iacv needs to be adjusted down or your idle adjusted up? Do you have a miss?
Yes I have a miss, I believe its one of the injectors