3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Driving with that AC on, and water starts pouring out from the dash??

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Driving with that AC on, and water starts pouring out from the dash??

I was driving down the road today with the A/C on. I recently noticed my passenger side carpet was kinda damp, But I thought someone wasted somthing on the floor. So I proceed to drive forward and made a quick turn, then I hear water and see water pouring on the passenger side floor carpet. I was hoping that it wasnt coming from the heater core as i just replaced that last year, never want to do that again! But it wasnt coolant it was water. wat is going on with this car?? One thing after the other
Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Silly, your a/c drain is clogged! LOL!!
Just take your finger across the rubber drain opening on the passenger side fire wall (engine bay) and clear that sludge out. Air condition coils are natural moisture collectors/dehumidifiers, they have to drain somewhere! ;-)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:28 PM

Your Maxima is having a baby.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:30 PM

in your ac system theres a part under the dash on your passenger side that looks like a little radiator. when the ac is running it creates kinda like condensation and its supposed to leak out of the car. could be that the little hose is plugged up. have a local shop look it over and either replace it or clean it out.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by 97vqi30
in your ac system theres a part under the dash on your passenger side that looks like a little radiator. when the ac is running it creates kinda like condensation and its supposed to leak out of the car. could be that the little hose is plugged up. have a local shop look it over and either replace it or clean it out.
Like I said, but taking it to a shop? Really? This is as basic a "DIY" (Do It Yourself) as you can get on a car!

Tools required? 1.) Eyes and 2.) one finger!
Old 07-21-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Your Maxima is having a baby.
I was thinking more as.
1. Take out a hot girl that wears a T-shirt.
2. Roll windows down.
3. Turn on AC.
4. Drive fast so she'll get cold
5. Enjoy the view.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
I was thinking more as.
1. Take out a hot girl that wears a T-shirt.
2. Roll windows down.
3. Turn on AC.
4. Drive fast so she'll get cold
5. Enjoy the view.

LMAO lol
Old 07-22-2011, 06:48 PM

I looked under the car near the firewall and had someone else look with me. But I didnt see any rubber hose that had to do with the A/C neither did I see anything dripping from the a/c being ran on the outside of the car( water on the ground ect) gotta fix this soon, or ill be replacing my carpet, as it is soaked and smells like mildew. I already wanted to replace the carpet with a black one, but not so soon lol. If I take out the glove box would that give me room to look at the AC components? I dont even know what to look for?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Not a "hose" that your looking for. And the reason you didn't see anything dripping is because the drain is clogged........hence the water loading up inside the a/c core and leaking out the lower foot vents.
From up top on the passenger side fire wall, it will simply look like a rubber grommet. However, it will stick out just a tad and will have a small opening (that we know to be clogged) and needs to be cleaned out. Once you've found the nickel sized rubber grommet looking drain, take your finger across it, finding the bottom.....you will feel what seems to be a hole/opening. Press against the hole with your finger in a manner to loosen any debri clogging the opening. Would be a good idea to have your car facing down hill to facilitate the water clearing out that port.

If you need further instruction, then I retract part of my prior statement, take it to
Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Get Off My Lawn

...........If you cant figure it out, Take it to a shop.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:25 PM
STFU n00b!

look under the dash and you'll see a few different boxes. the one on the far right is the blower assembly. It's the box with the round thing at the bottom. The box next to that is the AC evaporator, and has the drain in the bottom of that. I *believe* the drain hose is on the right corner of that box, going through the firewall/floorboard. At the bottom of the box, of course.

I don't think you can see/reach the drain from the bottom with the wheels on the ground. Haven't tried to reach it from the top like Chris mentions.

To get at it from the bottom, you will need to jack up the car and look just to the inside of the frame rail against the firewall. you'll then see the AC lines going to the compressor and you're in the right area. look a few inches beneath those and to the right, and you should see something sticking out of the firewall.

Clean that thing out and go from there.

Last edited by Matt93SE; 07-22-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Eh, at 6'2" I do sometimes forget that I have longer arms than others. ;-)
Old 07-23-2011, 11:14 AM

I've seen this happen to quite a few vehicles and 8 out of 10 time the condensation drain is clogged. As mentioned by other members already.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:22 AM

I think I found the drain, gonna wait until the engine kools down a lil bit to see if I can unclogg it.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 PM

well I found the drain on the firewall, and stuck my finger through it as much as I could get it thinkin the thing was clogged and I thought it was unclogged, until today when I had my ac running and more water was pouring on the blower motor and the floor once again.
Old 07-27-2011, 03:04 PM

well Ive had some luck guys, I blew the drain out and water started draining on the ground( where its posed to be ) So hopefully Im gonna blow it out somemore, because I know its still alot of water in there. Gotta get that carpet dry!
Old 07-27-2011, 11:31 PM
STFU n00b!

how hot is it there? open the doors on a hot day and put a fan blowing on the carpet.

you might pull the front seats and door trim so you can lift the carpet up and see how much water is underneath. the carpet USED to be coated in plastic so liquid didn't soak through to the floorpan, but with age that stuff cracks and lets water through.

definitely try to leave the windows cracked a little bit too. I left my car closed up with a wet floor for a few weeks (same kind of drain problem) and came back to a fuzzy green steering wheel and a musty smell.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
how hot is it there? open the doors on a hot day and put a fan blowing on the carpet.

you might pull the front seats and door trim so you can lift the carpet up and see how much water is underneath. the carpet USED to be coated in plastic so liquid didn't soak through to the floorpan, but with age that stuff cracks and lets water through.

definitely try to leave the windows cracked a little bit too. I left my car closed up with a wet floor for a few weeks (same kind of drain problem) and came back to a fuzzy green steering wheel and a musty smell.

It gets to about 100 degrees down here in the afternoons. But the drain is unclogged now and the water is going on the outside of the car now, Im so glad that it wasnt any thing else! I dried my floor mats, and tried to vacuum the carpet to suck up most of the water in it. But just to be on the safe side, I will do what you suggested and remove the carpet.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I think i have the same problem.
i don't drive this car very much, so not sure how bad it is.
vacuumed the pass side front and rear last night, and want to find the source of H2O
coming in the car.
Does anyone have pics they can link or post to help me find the hose/grommet on the firewall ???
I have no FSM or Haynes......
-ALF out...
Old 10-27-2011, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by fatvet
I think i have the same problem.
i don't drive this car very much, so not sure how bad it is.
vacuumed the pass side front and rear last night, and want to find the source of H2O
coming in the car.
Does anyone have pics they can link or post to help me find the hose/grommet on the firewall ???
I have no FSM or Haynes......
-ALF out...
I dont have pics, but the little rubber thing, is right under the area where the metal power steering or brake lines are on the vg engine. You can get to it easily on the passengerside of the car.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had time to look at the sun roof, there are 2 dime size holes at the front corners of the sun roof. they looked A-ok.
this thread is long can anyone say again where to look under the car for the other end of this water passage ???
TIA

-ALF out....