3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone Interested in BMW E-36 Headlight Conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 04:09 PM
tturner5

Anyone Interested in BMW E-36 Headlight Conversion?

Hi all. Since purchasing my 1991 Maxima SE, I have been bitten by the modification bug. Since my interest in mods is more geared toward physical modification than performance oriented modifications I started looking for good physical modifications to perform on the car.

One of the first I decided to undertake was the BMW E-36 Headlight European Ellipsoid conversion with Angle Eyes. I found a company that sells BMW E-36 Headlight Kits (European Ellipsoid and American) with and without Angle Eyes installed (Yeeeah)!

I have spoken with the owner of this company and we discussed Maxima.org member special quantity pricing and a true conversion kit to be fabricated if demand was sufficient.

A conversion kit may be able to be fabricated to include a mounting bracket to convert 1990-1994 Nissan Maxima headlights to accept BMW E-36 Headlights with or without Angle Eye headlights (Those like on the BMW 5 series). Also the conversion kit would include the correct wire plug to convert the 9006 sytle lights to the Maxima 9004 lighting system.

This entire conversion is totaly dependant on demand from this forum. This kit would include everything necessary to complete the conversion in a few hours with confidence and accurate fitting.

Is anybody interested?

This conversion is not for the light of pocket, with an estimated price of $600-$700. The system more than pays for itself in uniqueness, aggressive demeanor and just plain a%skicking looks. You will have a system that is fully operational without gaps, leaks, and will have the reliability of a stock headlight. True you can do it yourself, but run the risk of premature failure, and unaccurate alignments.

Please email and/or post a reply to this thread is you are interested.

Old 12-27-2001, 04:11 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

you might want to check on those angel eyes a little more. HID one's are not available yet so those are non HID most likely. HID angel eyes plus a conversion kit will most likely cost more than that...but hey if you could care less about HIDs then this would be something to look into
Old 12-27-2001, 04:23 PM
tturner5

Originally posted by Chris91SE
you might want to check on those angel eyes a little more. HID one's are not available yet so those are non HID most likely. HID angel eyes plus a conversion kit will most likely cost more than that...but hey if you could care less about HIDs then this would be something to look into
Chris91SE the Angle Eyes that will be included in the conversion kit are not available yet, however they are immenient. As fas as HID's go I dont know. The system I am talking about isnt HID. These lights are mostly for cosmetic enhancement, uniqueness, and sheer statement status.

So are you game to order the kit when and if it become available?

Old 12-27-2001, 04:24 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by tturner5

Chris91SE the Angle Eyes that will be included in the conversion kit are not available yet, however they are immenient. As fas as HID's go I dont know. The system I am talking about isnt HID. These lights are mostly for cosmetic enhancement, uniqueness, and sheer statement status.

So are you game to order the kit when and if it become available?
I am not...just posting a forewarning for those interested...angel eye E36 lights are on the market but the quality isn't exciting...i would like to see some pics of these ones when they are done...
Old 12-27-2001, 06:33 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

if the fitment and spacing issues can be solved some how, I'd be interested. the only thing holding me back from doing that mod is the gap that is left between the body of the car and the light housing.....solve that and it be all good!
Old 12-27-2001, 06:36 PM

what i would like to do is what brandon90gxe did. the audi a6 i think projector in the e36 light. brandon, where did you get the audi light and how hard was it to get it in the e 36 housing?
Old 12-27-2001, 06:49 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by noleafclover
what i would like to do is what brandon90gxe did. the audi a6 i think projector in the e36 light. brandon, where did you get the audi light and how hard was it to get it in the e 36 housing?
I thought he just used the e36 lights, but just made a "custom" projector, I didn't think he used anything from an A6???
Old 12-27-2001, 07:12 PM
Wink519

Doesn't the five series have the "angel eyes" and have xenon lights. If so, wouldn't that make them compatible with HIDs.

Old 12-27-2001, 07:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DA-MAX
I thought he just used the e36 lights, but just made a "custom" projector, I didn't think he used anything from an A6???
No, I read about someone doing this earlier too. Might have been Brandon or someone else, but he explained some actually. It was on a website somewhere. He took the HID projectors from an A6 and put them in place of the E36 lowbeams, requiring the use of some custom brackets or adapters he had to make.

Maybe if I have time later I'll try to dig up this link.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:34 PM

i like my 150 dollar mod! with plain bulbs, as long as i can seee at night, psshh, i could care less.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:37 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

interesting! man people think of all types of crazy **** now a days!

Originally posted by Bman

No, I read about someone doing this earlier too. Might have been Brandon or someone else, but he explained some actually. It was on a website somewhere. He took the HID projectors from an A6 and put them in place of the E36 lowbeams, requiring the use of some custom brackets or adapters he had to make.

Old 12-27-2001, 08:00 PM
tturner5

Originally posted by Wink519
Doesn't the five series have the "angel eyes" and have xenon lights. If so, wouldn't that make them compatible with HIDs.
Yes the 5-Series does use the Angel Eyes in the headlight assembly. They look very nice.

Some people seem to be quite against this idea of the E-36 conversion kit. Maybe cause of the money maybe because they are just negative people. HID or not, when you see a 5-series or any other car with the Angel Eyes headlights, it is a stop and look event or at least an event which calls attention to itself even for a second. Put them on your Maxima and you will be the observed for that moment.

Old 12-27-2001, 08:59 PM
STFU n00b!

Well the point is that the HID Angel eyes aren't out yet, and if someone is going to spend several hundred $ on a conversion, then they'll want the HID. (which would easily make it over $1000 anyway)

The "regular" E36 lights can be purchased for under $200. (I actually got a set for $75 from a bimmer.org guy who upgraded to HID on his M3)
The rest of the parts are cheap. about $15 for the wiring harness plugs and adaptors, and other than that it's labor.

BUT.. to get the Angel eyes is something completely different than the regular E36. These would obviously cost more, as used ones aren't on the market and won't be for quite some time.
Old 12-28-2001, 12:21 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Well the point is that the HID Angel eyes aren't out yet, and if someone is going to spend several hundred $ on a conversion, then they'll want the HID. (which would easily make it over $1000 anyway)

you see the light my friend
Old 12-28-2001, 01:53 AM

Bring to down to the $300 - $400 range and you will see more
interest.
Old 12-28-2001, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Bman

yup . good memory! I got the HID's benifit working at a porsche/ audi dealership. This kit is intersting, but the price range is a bit steep. If you wanna use my car as a test car for the angel eyes (and i dont have to pay im all for it hehe.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:38 PM

Where is the GAP actually at?
Between the top of the housing and the hood?
My stock lights never ligned up any way. drivers lamp is sticking out alot near the grill and the passenger light sticks in alot near the grill just to get the light pattern straight forward.
Stock lights leave much to be desired.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:54 PM
Wink519

GAP

A lot of people complain about the gap, but i don't see much of a gap in most installs. In Brandon's car there is hardly any gap at all.

Old 12-29-2001, 09:11 PM
tturner5

Originally posted by Mr. Rose
Where is the GAP actually at?
Between the top of the housing and the hood?
My stock lights never ligned up any way. drivers lamp is sticking out alot near the grill and the passenger light sticks in alot near the grill just to get the light pattern straight forward.
Stock lights leave much to be desired.
The gap is at the top between the hood and the top of the headlamps. Typically it is between 1 to 1.5 inches. Should the conversion kit be something that goes into a type of production then I will aleviate this problem somehow with sheetmetal, rubber, or some other element resistant material. As it looks right now, I will probably be doing to conversion with only a handful of guys.

This topic doesnt seem to be drawing to much interest so may or may not be replying anymore. Please email me at my email address should you require information. Ok. Thanks to those who are positive.

Old 12-29-2001, 09:22 PM

Re: Anyone Interested in BMW E-36 Headlight Conversion?

for around 700 i'd be interested. . ..

Originally posted by tturner5
Hi all. Since purchasing my 1991 Maxima SE, I have been bitten by the modification bug. Since my interest in mods is more geared toward physical modification than performance oriented modifications I started looking for good physical modifications to perform on the car.

One of the first I decided to undertake was the BMW E-36 Headlight European Ellipsoid conversion with Angle Eyes. I found a company that sells BMW E-36 Headlight Kits (European Ellipsoid and American) with and without Angle Eyes installed (Yeeeah)!

I have spoken with the owner of this company and we discussed Maxima.org member special quantity pricing and a true conversion kit to be fabricated if demand was sufficient.

A conversion kit may be able to be fabricated to include a mounting bracket to convert 1990-1994 Nissan Maxima headlights to accept BMW E-36 Headlights with or without Angle Eye headlights (Those like on the BMW 5 series). Also the conversion kit would include the correct wire plug to convert the 9006 sytle lights to the Maxima 9004 lighting system.

This entire conversion is totaly dependant on demand from this forum. This kit would include everything necessary to complete the conversion in a few hours with confidence and accurate fitting.

Is anybody interested?

This conversion is not for the light of pocket, with an estimated price of $600-$700. The system more than pays for itself in uniqueness, aggressive demeanor and just plain a%skicking looks. You will have a system that is fully operational without gaps, leaks, and will have the reliability of a stock headlight. True you can do it yourself, but run the risk of premature failure, and unaccurate alignments.

Please email and/or post a reply to this thread is you are interested.
Old 12-30-2001, 09:49 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

I'm interested. Check yer mail!
Old 12-30-2001, 02:23 PM
tturner5

Originally posted by nubiannupe
I'm interested. Check yer mail!
I checked it. So far there are 3-4 people including myself who are interested in the kit. This is a good start. However in order to get all pieces in a type of turn key fashion we will need maybe 5 more people who are wanting to purchase the kit. Anymore takers?

Thanks for the positive responses.

Old 01-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Large Member

Did you guys know that Phillips (yes the TV manufacturer!) made a 9004 HID kit? It's supposed to be universal but I don't know how well it works on the Maximas. I only mention this because I saw 1 on ebay a couple months ago. It was about $450 and that seems to be pretty cheap from the HID kits I've seen before ($600-$800).
Old 01-03-2002, 07:35 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

yeah I heard of that one....I think one or two of the 4th gen guys have it. not sure of the results though....

Originally posted by Shadow1198
Did you guys know that Phillips (yes the TV manufacturer!) made a 9004 HID kit?

about the Beamer light kit what exactly would make this mass produced kit so worth while over doing the conversion yourself???? i mean DIY of the conversion will run you about $150+/- at the most(as Matt said) maybe you already said it, but I'm just really curious or maybe I missed it... but hell if you can produce a bolt-in kit that is pre-assembled(minus wiring) and available for $175-200+sh than maybe I'd be interested!