3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Battery Replacement Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
I'm tired of trying to feed you common sense. Charging systems in cars-- whether alternator, generator, solar panel, regenerative braking, a bigass turbine on the roof, whatever-- will NEVER be obsolete on a car.
NOBODY wants to drive their car across town and then have to plug it into a charger. NOBODY. They want to be able to walk outside, stick a key in it (hell they don't even want/have to do that anymore), plop their **** in the driver's seat, and drive away. Messing with a plug-in external charging system is 10 steps backwards in technology.

Think about how much electrical crap there is in a car now. 40 years ago, cars came with 35A alternators. 25 years ago, they were up to 80A. 15 years ago, they were at 100A. They're up to around 120A now.
Electrical demand is growing on cars every day. Safety systems like ABS pumps use a LOT of juice when they're doing their work... Then there's the everyday stuff like ignition, engine management, headlights, wipers, air con, infotainment systems, etc.. More gadgets requires more juice.

With that requirement of power means a requirement to charge while you're on the move-- WITHOUT plugging into a wall while you're stopped. People just won't do it, and they shouldn't have to.

Just because a battery can spit out 500A for 30sec (do the math genius, storage capacity of 500A * 30sec = 4.1 Amp-Hrs. A good size lead-acid battery is good for 100AH)... This doesn't mean crap when you're driving down the highway pulling 85amps for 10 hours.

Please stop believing the ricer mags and start using your brain for a change. These new batteries are neat, but they're a novelty that has a very small niche market in the auto world. A complete-loss electrical system in a race car is just about the only place they're useful.
It was a sad realization when I remembered the alternator in my Mustang is 37 or 47 amps (I forget) and the amplifiers I bought for it can pull 115amps at 12.6v
Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 PM

Guys your missing the point here. I brought up a new technology to get opinions on it plain and simple. The technology is in its infancy and soon it will be more practical. Doing away with an alternator? No not this year or next year. 5 years down the road though? I truly think that battery technology will be to a point that they don't need to be recharged by an alternator on the car. I suppose this is exactly the responses I wanted. A good conversation can only occur when there are opposing opinions. IMO Lithium technology is the future and lead-acid's days are numbered
Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Guys your missing the point here....................................... I truly think that battery technology will be to a point that they don't need to be recharged by an alternator on the car. I suppose this is exactly the responses I wanted. A good conversation can only occur when there are opposing opinions. IMO Lithium technology is the future and lead-acid's days are numbered
This has not been a good conversation .................. its been a demonstration of ignorance and a refusal to even consider the practicalities of the technology ...............and every-time you try to sugar-coat your dumb-*** statements it just makes you look less competent to even have a conversation on the topic.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Guys your missing the point here. I brought up a new technology to get opinions on it plain and simple. The technology is in its infancy and soon it will be more practical. Doing away with an alternator? No not this year or next year. 5 years down the road though? I truly think that battery technology will be to a point that they don't need to be recharged by an alternator on the car. I suppose this is exactly the responses I wanted. A good conversation can only occur when there are opposing opinions. IMO Lithium technology is the future and lead-acid's days are numbered
I understand what you are saying on a hypothetical level but realistically you are advocating for needing to maintain two "fuel" sources instead of one.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 PM

Die Hard

I use a Die hard Gold 840 cold cranking.