3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

White LEDs on a GXE cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 PM

White LEDs on a GXE cluster

I searched to see if anyone had tried this but I only seen this done on SE gauges, so it could come as useful info for newcomers.

So I got some WLED-WHP5 white LEDs from superbrightleds.com and installed them on the cluster and the transmission shifter. The shifter looks great

But on the cluster, not what I was expecting...

I knew that the GXE gauges have some green film that is applied behind them that is not removable, but was hoping that it wouldn't be that noticable. Looks like the only way to get white lighting is to use SE gauges.

So right now I'm trying to figure out how to remove that green film or go with an SE cluster or try out some green LEDs and see how that goes. I got only one with my order and it looks ok. (Better than what this photo gives out)

Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

SE Cluster

I like the way your cluster looks...its bright and clean. I imagine that it is MUCH brighter than it appears in the photo. I have an SE and the is a BLUE film on the back on the cluster face(gauges). TO my understanding this can not be removed and it gives my lights a blue-ish tint to the naked eye but not like those tacky aftermarket face(gauges). As for the shifter, I think that WILL be my next mod because I love the way your turned out with the LEDs behind it. I have taken my dash completly apart and I was disappointed to find that the buttons for the fog lights, cruise control, light intensity, climate control, etc. ALL have that same green film behind them. The ligt bulbs are actually warm white and the filmm (which can not be removed) gives it a green look, THAT IS AN EYE SORE. I made the unfortunate mistake of trying to scratch it away and it took away the labeling(the little headlight symbol) with it...now I have to replace the entire switch. But I did have the idea of just scratching it ALL away I basically refabricating my own switch. Lights, symbols, and all. I let you know how it goes. Check out my profile for pics of my cluster w/ LEDs, and good luck!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:53 PM

Old 05-25-2012, 08:47 PM

So I finally got the time to continue testing this. I got a fresh vent lever which also has the green background tint and modified it to use LEDs. I'm using 6950K white, 30 degree, 3 mm LEDs from superbrightleds.com

Using my brother's Lee Filters samples and it seems that flesh pink (192) will give out the best white output.

As the picture shows, it doesn't come out as bright as without the extra filter. So I bent the leads on another LED to point straight to the screen.

Would have been nice if it didn't have the hotspot. Guess I will need a wider angle LED.

Last edited by jbbons25; 05-25-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:12 PM

this is great, someone actually taking pictures of the LEDs theyre upgrading! a couple questions

what is the millacandella of the LEDs you are using?

I have done my buttons and other things several times, I have found FLAT TOP 3mm LEDs will give you the best output as far as hotspots are concerned...I have noticed anything over 6000mcd is too bright for my liking, but also depends where the bulb is facing.

what about flesh pink whatever? something you're putting over your LEDs?

if you get more into the ACC unit post some pictures...I wanted to LED that as well but think I will just go with incandescent minibulbs + colored covers

here is one section of my dash that i have done

Name:  DSC01139.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  7.9 KB
Name:  DSC01140.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  7.9 KB

the "A/T" font is an 8000mcd super white component 3mm + blue cover
the "comfort" and "sport" are way too bright (like 15kmcd) but they point at the ceiling, still need to change these out. superbrightled drop in high power LED bulbs
the "P" and "C" are drop in LED bulbs as well, tho not high power, these look perfect

the cigarette lighter escutcheon has 2 SMD 6000mcd super white LEDs pointing down from the top; this was A LOT of work, however I am still not pleased with the output.

Last edited by DMad8724; 05-25-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:27 AM

The LEDs I used are 8000 mcd. The LEDs light up great when facing in the first picture of my previous post without the filter. But I'm trying to get a white illumination on my interior and it does seem to be a challenge.

As for the filter, I'm putting it behind the indicator. I'm planning to apply that filter behind the gauges as shown on post #3 to get white gauges.

I also installed an LED on my cigarette lighter. I installed this though

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2F74-xHP3.html

Even the cig lighter has a green tint!!

Last edited by jbbons25; 02-15-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 AM

I had ordered some 74 LED bulbs (not the kind you have) and they didnt fit, so I thought chopping it all up and adding SMDs pointing right where I wanted them would get me a great output, however yours looks 10x better than mine. Btw jibbons courtesy lists 2 parts numbers for that lighter escutcheon 89-92 and 93-94 i believe...I didnt think mine had a green tint? the one I used is old style I believe, maybe one of them doesnt have a green tint

I added some cool white LED bulbs to my ACC unit a while back, however they were way too bright and the top left buttons (next to the display) didnt light up as brightly as the rest. I plan on using stock bulbs + blue light bulb covers (whats comes on stock SE gauge bulbs), maybe this while have a nice effect against that green film.

for my dash buttons and other LEDs im going with the stock green/orange colors, so the background film doesnt bother me there

any more info on these "filter samples" ? no experience whatsoever...
Old 05-26-2012, 12:35 PM

The part I ordered fits but you need to put some force. I checked on a spare cig lighter housing that came from a later year Maxima and it seems that the end of it is coated amber. So I'm guessing it varies by year or trim. What I'm planning to try out is get some reflective tape and tape the outer edge of the bezel and see if the light would reflect to the bottom for a uniform light.

As for the LEE filters, they are thin films of transparent colored sheets that block off light except for the color of the film. You can get a swatch sample on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-Filters-...item43afd4bad6

What I was doing was finding a filter that would counter the green tint behind the gagues and indicators. You should check out lee filters on google image search as you can see what others have done.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 AM

Well here is my first attempt to have white face GXE gauges

I got a 2' x 2' sheet of Lee Filters #036 Medium Pink, cut it to the shape of the speedometer and place it behind the face. You can see it on the hole where the needle rest piece should go. Unfortunately, this pic does not do justice on how dim it actually comes out. Plus, you can see some of the color on the kilometer indicators.

I will try to see if there is a way to make it brighter without getting brighter lights.

PS: One can also try this on the clock, but it will just as dim as well.

Last edited by jbbons25; 08-12-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by DMad8724
this is great, someone actually taking pictures of the LEDs theyre upgrading! a couple questions

what is the millacandella of the LEDs you are using?

I have done my buttons and other things several times, I have found FLAT TOP 3mm LEDs will give you the best output as far as hotspots are concerned...I have noticed anything over 6000mcd is too bright for my liking, but also depends where the bulb is facing.

what about flesh pink whatever? something you're putting over your LEDs?

if you get more into the ACC unit post some pictures...I wanted to LED that as well but think I will just go with incandescent minibulbs + colored covers

here is one section of my dash that i have done

the "A/T" font is an 8000mcd super white component 3mm + blue cover
the "comfort" and "sport" are way too bright (like 15kmcd) but they point at the ceiling, still need to change these out. superbrightled drop in high power LED bulbs
the "P" and "C" are drop in LED bulbs as well, tho not high power, these look perfect

the cigarette lighter escutcheon has 2 SMD 6000mcd super white LEDs pointing down from the top; this was A LOT of work, however I am still not pleased with the output.
I'm liking how the sonar switch looks with those bulbs...I'm ordering some today!!
Old 11-14-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by jbbons25
I searched to see if anyone had tried this but I only seen this done on SE gauges, so it could come as useful info for newcomers.

So I got some WLED-WHP5 white LEDs from superbrightleds.com and installed them on the cluster and the transmission shifter. The shifter looks great

But on the cluster, not what I was expecting...

I knew that the GXE gauges have some green film that is applied behind them that is not removable, but was hoping that it wouldn't be that noticable. Looks like the only way to get white lighting is to use SE gauges.

So right now I'm trying to figure out how to remove that green film or go with an SE cluster or try out some green LEDs and see how that goes. I got only one with my order and it looks ok. (Better than what this photo gives out)

The blue led bulbs work the best concerning the green film/filter, if your able to remove the green film the blue will be brighter though. The blue color is more dominant than the green film.