3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Buying new engine ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 PM

Buying new engine ?'s

hey guys my VE engine gave out on me at 215,168 miles left me stranded on the highway, i have the engine out, what are some parts or issues should i take care of since the engine is out, also things i should look for when buying a used Ve. tips will be greatly appreciated, im also currently looking for a new VE engine, but these are pretty hard to find. hopefully i find one soon.

Last edited by lux97Max; 02-18-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:30 PM

First off new VEs are jdm and have some where around 40-70k miles on them. Replace the CPS if you get one, front & rear seals, check coil packs (if they need to be replaced), replace both coolant temp sensors (wouldn't hurt to swap in a new thermostat), spark plugs of course, replace water pump, test power steering pump, injectors & alt, and keep your a/c if it was already working. While out check motor/ trans mounts rack bushings. Take care of these issues and life will be a lot better for you when its all said and done.

Btw why do you have one e36 headlight and one regular one? Also do you like the 89 to 91 SE tailights or you just haven't switched them yet?
Old 02-18-2012, 10:40 PM

Oh yeah replace any broken exhaust studs while the motor is out of the car. You'll thank yourself later. James92SE and others can vouch on that. If the VTCs click then you can either ground them or get a rebuild kit. Other than that thats it.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 AM

yea lol, i did the e36conversion but decided to go back to stock, yea i like the 89-91 tail lights better than the 93-94 i think it gives it a more sporty look, and they light up brighter then 93-94 at night. thanks for the info ill keep this thread updated with pics and ?'s if i run into problems.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:50 AM

If you can find a remanufactured shortblock and use yourself as a corethat'll save you alot of time. ARP rod bolts can be added to the remanufactured block's lower end! If this isn't possible have your shortblock rebuilt as well as your heads.....GL
Old 02-19-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
yea lol, i did the e36conversion but decided to go back to stock, yea i like the 89-91 tail lights better than the 93-94 i think it gives it a more sporty look, and they light up brighter then 93-94 at night. thanks for the info ill keep this thread updated with pics and ?'s if i run into problems.
I've unfortunately have gone into one of these motors 3x already so if you got ? shoot me a pm.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
If you can find a remanufactured shortblock and use yourself as a corethat'll save you alot of time. ARP rod bolts can be added to the remanufactured block's lower end! If this isn't possible have your shortblock rebuilt as well as your heads.....GL
On my spare VE I'm gonna go with ARP studs and lock nuts instead of stock head bolts.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:26 PM

3x wow, if this engine i get craps out on me i might consider upgrading to a 4th gen engine, is there alot of work into converting it or swapping it out for the vq3.0de?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If your engine is salvageable and you have the time I would have your existing motor rebuilt. I think it's a gamble to spend money on a used motor. I would hate to put a used motor in to find out later that it wasn't healthy. Nothing like having the peace of mind knowing that you have a fresh motor in the max.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 PM

thats what im sayin, i could rebuilt it, but its done so i have no choice but to buy a used one, ive look into jdmenginzezone, jdmenginecorp and other websites , but these two seem to be the most legit, but they are out of stock, and theres no telling when the will recieve a Ve i was thinking maybe going the VQ route since these engines are so easy to find.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:10 PM

are the vq3.0 de faster than the Ve3.0 de?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM
I miss my VE

are the vq3.0 de faster than the Ve3.0 de?
Stock for stock the VE owns the VQ30DE. VQ is just lighter.

Btw, what happened to your VE that it failed on you? Normally people go way past the 300k mark on them. Where you doing some serious racing or poor maintenance? What exactly happened if you dont mind me asking.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:06 PM

i think my oil pump failed, not sure, i think ima stick with the ve
Old 02-19-2012, 05:15 PM

why is the ve better than the vq?
Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 PM

I don't know if that's a fact.....VQ30DE is virtually bulletproof.....and seems to last forever without any issue whatsoever!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thats what im sayin, i could rebuilt it, but its done so i have no choice but to buy a used one, ive look into jdmenginzezone, jdmenginecorp and other websites , but these two seem to be the most legit, but they are out of stock, and theres no telling when the will recieve a Ve i was thinking maybe going the VQ route since these engines are so easy to find.
I have a spare ve I pulled out of a running 94se that I could sell to you if you want to make the trip up to Boston.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:56 PM

post pics! it has to be fed-spec also no leaking oils nothing blown it has to be in perfect mechanical functioning order.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:11 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

I wouldn't worry about leaks on whatever engine you buy, you can (and should!) just replace all oil seals while the engine is out before you drop it in.

So what exactly happened to the car I mean on the highway it just shut off? Did you get a dummy oil pressure light beforehand or any symptoms etc? Just curious

Odd those places are out of VE's. Last I checked about a year ago they all seemed to have a decent supply and they could be had for about $450. Like Maximo said, if you go JDM you will need to swap your CPS and coolant sensors onto the new one.

Is JDM Engine Corp the one in Richardson, TX? That's who I was gonna use since I'd just be able to pick up and not have to pay freight

Last edited by James92SE; 02-19-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Like Maximo said, if you go JDM you will need to swap your CPS and coolant sensors onto the new one.
Thats funny cuz I learned all that from you back when you replaced the motor in your blue VE. So technically you said it. Lol
Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 PM

hopefully i find the answer when i start taking it apart, i was going about 70mph and suddenly my radio cut off and all the dash lights came on and i couldn't accelerate, i was guessing it was my fuel pump or something, so i veer off and turn it back on and all i could hear was a grinding type noise and thats when i knew the engine was gone, i was only about a mile away from the gas station, so i said hell lets see if this bad boy got any life to make it, cus i wasn't really trying to stay on the side of the highway (very dangerous) as soon as i started going I couldn't shift into 2gear I could only go about 15 mph, but this sucker made it and it died soon as i got there, i guess these are some die hard engines, i was laughing the whole way there not to mention if anyone was on 32 east highway on a Saturday mourning last week and saw a black maxima going 15mph in the right lane that was me..lol
Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 PM

hopefully i find the answer when i start taking it apart, i was going about 70mph and suddenly my radio cut off and all the dash lights came on and i couldn't accelerate, i was guessing it was my fuel pump or something, so i veer off and turn it back on and all i could hear was a grinding type noise and thats when i knew the engine was gone, i was only about a mile away from the gas station, so i said hell lets see if this bad boy got any life to make it, cus i wasn't really trying to stay on the side of the highway (very dangerous) as soon as i started going I couldn't shift into 2gear I could only go about 15 mph, but this sucker made it and it died soon as i got there, i guess these are some die hard engines, i was laughing the whole way there not to mention if anyone was on 32 east highway on a Saturday mourning last week and saw a black maxima going 15mph in the right lane that was me..lol
Well when all dash lights come on and she shuts off as a result thats usually when timing belt breaks but thats on VGs as VEs are chain driven. Check those VTCs to see if one of them grenaded itself into the motor. Rare but it happens. Either way with the grinding that sounds internal. GL.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:51 PM
I miss my VE

why is the ve better than the vq?
I was speaking from a performance stand point, not really reliability. They are pretty much the same in the low and mid range in terms of power, but the VE walks away from the VQ usually somewhere during 3rd gear. Thats mostly due to the VE having a superior intake manifold and valve timing.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM

VE ftw!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
but the VE walks away from the VQ usually somewhere during 3rd gear.
+1
Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by maximo018
I've unfortunately have gone into one of these motors 3x already so if you got ? shoot me a pm.
put a VQ you will have that forever
Old 02-20-2012, 10:16 PM

Stock for stock the VE owns the VQ30DE. VQ is just lighter.

Btw, what happened to your VE that it failed on you? Normally people go way past the 300k mark on them. Where you doing some serious racing or poor maintenance? What exactly happened if you dont mind me asking.
The VQ and the VE are the same they put out the same HP 190 and the TQ actually in the VQ 205 TQ more than the VE TQ 190. The redline is more on the VQ 7200 rpm and the VE 6500 rpm. The VQ is all aluminum and the heads on the VE are iron and the rest of the motor is aluminum. I will say the VQ owns the VE even, if the VE has the VTC because it's just an way for the VE to help it breath better. This is why the VQ hit 7200 rpms to make up for the loss of the VTC. I know the VQ is bullietproof motor I will say it's better than the VE any day. I have respect for the VE it's the 1gen VQ early stages of the VQ engine. I will give props for the tranny the VE uses there third gear ratio is outstanding and that why the VE start pulling it's the trannys that make the different. I know the 4thgen trannies are not that greatly geared out like the VE trannies. I would say OP get what makes you feel safe and secure about the car lasting you a lifetime VQ or VE just know that the price is all the same rebuild or new engine.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM

I was speaking from a performance stand point, not really reliability. They are pretty much the same in the low and mid range in terms of power, but the VE walks away from the VQ usually somewhere during 3rd gear. Thats mostly due to the VE having a superior intake manifold and valve timing.
It's not the engine that does the walking,because it only sees 6500 rpms when a VQ sees a 7200 VQ working harder than then the VE. The third gear has a better gearing ratio in the VE than the VQ.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:36 PM

VE ftw!

oil is very imporant my friend VQFTMFW.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by vqmaxman
The VQ and the VE are the same they put out the same HP 190 and the TQ actually in the VQ 205 TQ more than the VE TQ 190. The redline is more on the VQ 7200 rpm and the VE 6500 rpm. The VQ is all aluminum and the heads on the VE are iron and the rest of the motor is aluminum. I will say the VQ owns the VE even, if the VE has the VTC because it's just an way for the VE to help it breath better. This is why the VQ hit 7200 rpms to make up for the loss of the VTC. I know the VQ is bullietproof motor I will say it's better than the VE any day. I have respect for the VE it's the 1gen VQ early stages of the VQ engine. I will give props for the tranny the VE uses there third gear ratio is outstanding and that why the VE start pulling it's the trannys that make the different. I know the 4thgen trannies are not that greatly geared out like the VE trannies. I would say OP get what makes you feel safe and secure about the car lasting you a lifetime VQ or VE just know that the price is all the same rebuild or new engine.
The VE definitely does not have iron heads. Iron block, aluminum heads. I assume that was a typo on your part.

You seem to know a lot about the VE even though I suspect you (like most 4th genners) have no actual direct experience with the VE.

What is the 3rd gen gear ratio compared to the 4th gen? Just curious since you seem to know. I don't even know myself.

This is all moot anyway. OP definitely can't/won't put a VQ in it without a full on custom install.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 AM

The VE definitely does not have iron heads. Iron block, aluminum heads. I assume that was a typo on your part.

You seem to know a lot about the VE even though I suspect you (like most 4th genners) have no actual direct experience with the VE.

What is the 3rd gen gear ratio compared to the 4th gen? Just curious since you seem to know. I don't even know myself.

This is all moot anyway. OP definitely can't/won't put a VQ in it without a full on custom install.
It's not moot it's a known fact I had a vg and a ve. I always drove both the Vg was heavy all iron Hp 160 TQ 180 not bad a very nice underdog got me around. I had all kinds of missfires and it still ran. The Ve was much better 5speed it drove in the snow handling was good but, I delevoped a vtc clacking that one day got to grind and stop,I looked to see what happend I knew the oil was not on the dipstick.The pump failed causing my vtc clacking than my engine died. I know the car had it's top pulling in 3 and 4 the 1 and 2 were norm gears. I was wondering why did the ve only come in 5speeds. Vg's came in auto and manual.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 AM

Looking the FSMs for the 94, 95 and 99 Maximas, their MTs have the same gear ratios for all forward gears (3.285, 1.850, 1.272, 0.954, 0.795).

And the VE did come with an auto (RE4F04V vs the RE4F02A on the VG)

Last edited by jbbons25; 02-21-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:44 PM
I miss my VE

Lol nice try. I was almost sure both cars had the same gearing, but my memory was a bit hazy(Thanks jbbons).. But you apparently are biased towards the VQ and have alot of holes in your knowledge of the VE I see. Pretty ignorant if you ask me. If you actually experienced the VE fully and not for what ever it is you were using it for, you would have realized that it's a superior performing motor in the real world(lets keep it clear, Im talking about the VQ that came in 4th gens.. not like im very impressed with what the more powerful VQ's in the later gens are showing, but thats a different story.) I would actually put down money and say that Im almost certain the VE was more expensive to make and uses stronger, more quality stuff. Nissan was pretty broke around the production time of the 4th gen, from what I learned on this forum, and you can pretty much tell the differences in the 3rd gen interior and exterior quality compared to the 4th gen. You can choose to believe what you want, and look at all the rpm data you have there, but in the real world, there is quite a difference in the two. I even have an 03 BMW 330 with amazing autobahn top end, and who do you think pulls on me around 120? You got that right. The VE top end ain't no joke man. Good for almost 150mph.. And thats for a 92' Nissan, don't forget. Taking my friends VQ to the extreme, I really wasn't expecting to see 140mph anytime soon watching that speedo go up. I have alot of experience with these things believe it or not, Im not some jerk job on here who just started driving last year thinking my assumptions are facts. I actually talk from trying stuff, and have the experience to keep an open mind without being biased.

And a question, which VQ's are you talking about that are revving to 7200?

+1

Last edited by VEvolution; 02-22-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM

It's not moot it's a known fact I had a vg and a ve. I always drove both the Vg was heavy all iron Hp 160 TQ 180 not bad a very nice underdog got me around. I had all kinds of missfires and it still ran. The Ve was much better 5speed it drove in the snow handling was good but, I delevoped a vtc clacking that one day got to grind and stop,I looked to see what happend I knew the oil was not on the dipstick.The pump failed causing my vtc clacking than my engine died. I know the car had it's top pulling in 3 and 4 the 1 and 2 were norm gears. I was wondering why did the ve only come in 5speeds. Vg's came in auto and manual.
I said its moot point because the OP can't/won't swap in a VQ. Therefore it's moot to debate VE/VQ. Do you know what moot means?
Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 PM

Lol nice try. I was almost sure both cars had the same gearing, but my memory was a bit hazy(Thanks jbbons).. But you apparently are biased towards the VQ and have alot of holes in your knowledge of the VE I see. Pretty ignorant if you ask me. If you actually experienced the VE fully and not for what ever it is you were using it for, you would have realized that it's a superior performing motor in the real world(lets keep it clear, Im talking about the VQ that came in 4th gens.. not like im very impressed with what the more powerful VQ's in the later gens are showing, but thats a different story.) I would actually put down money and say that Im almost certain the VE was more expensive to make and uses stronger, more quality stuff. Nissan was pretty broke around the production time of the 4th gen, from what I learned on this forum, and you can pretty much tell the differences in the 3rd gen interior and exterior quality compared to the 4th gen. You can choose to believe what you want, and look at all the rpm data you have there, but in the real world, there is quite a difference in the two. I even have an 03 BMW 330 with amazing autobahn top end, and who do you think pulls on me around 120? You got that right. The VE top end ain't no joke man. Good for almost 150mph.. And thats for a 92' Nissan, don't forget. Taking my friends VQ to the extreme, I really wasn't expecting to see 140mph anytime soon watching that speedo go up. I have alot of experience with these things believe it or not, Im not some jerk job on here who just started driving last year thinking my assumptions are facts. I actually talk from trying stuff, and have the experience to keep an open mind without being biased.

And a question, which VQ's are you talking about that are revving to 7200?

+1
Ok, wait a minute here, there are no biased answers here' I am talking real fact here the Vq is better than the Ve what I said is true, I stand behind it and they were broke making the 4thgens but they did a good job on the Vq that's why it was on the wards top 10 engines of the years and still counting. The engine had better parts than the ve that's why we call Vq's bulletproof it's hard to go bad and blow out the vtc like the Ve. The vq was made with polybeunium coated pistons cams and crankshaft even the blocks were coated. I don't remember Ve having anything of this in nature to there motor thus why they have oil seal and rings go bad like the 3.5l vq did. They did better on the interior on the 3rd gen on some extents. The vq doesn't tick like the ve. I even had a vg and a ve they both are great cars I even mentioned the gearing on the third is better then the 4thgen. The 4thgen weight more than the 3rdgens. So you said you had a Vq and you don't even know that it revs to the 7200 rpms wow I am shocked. IT revs this high so the usim can make power and it's making up for the Vtc's that vq's don't have the higher the rpms are the better chance you have for mid and topend power I have hit 140 and I can hit it immediatly and there is no loss or slowing down to get in the triple digits for the fed spec vq's. The bottom line here is that there both great cars and I know it's a drivers race to do the decisons.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:11 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

so, a ve-auto is a 5-speed?
pass that blunt over here, man, you've been bogarting too long.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:38 PM

Ok, wait a minute here, there are no biased answers here' I am talking real fact here the Vq is better than the Ve what I said is true, I stand behind it and they were broke making the 4thgens but they did a good job on the Vq that's why it was on the wards top 10 engines of the years and still counting. The engine had better parts than the ve that's why we call Vq's bulletproof it's hard to go bad and blow out the vtc like the Ve. The vq was made with polybeunium coated pistons cams and crankshaft even the blocks were coated. I don't remember Ve having anything of this in nature to there motor thus why they have oil seal and rings go bad like the 3.5l vq did. They did better on the interior on the 3rd gen on some extents. The vq doesn't tick like the ve. I even had a vg and a ve they both are great cars I even mentioned the gearing on the third is better then the 4thgen. The 4thgen weight more than the 3rdgens. So you said you had a Vq and you don't even know that it revs to the 7200 rpms wow I am shocked. IT revs this high so the usim can make power and it's making up for the Vtc's that vq's don't have the higher the rpms are the better chance you have for mid and topend power I have hit 140 and I can hit it immediatly and there is no loss or slowing down to get in the triple digits for the fed spec vq's. The bottom line here is that there both great cars and I know it's a drivers race to do the decisons.

I don't care to look up the coating stuff, but I am 99.99% sure you are wrong about the stock redline. IIRC, stock VQ redline is 6700ish. 7200 with a JWT ECT, maybe. It's been well established over the years the VQ doesn't perform all that well on the top end, which is why the middle east variable intake became all the rage.

Again, what are the 3rd gen and 4th gen gear ratios? Putting two and two together from your previous statement about the 3rd gen being "good in the snow" I suspect you're confusing the limited-slip differential (which the VE had) with gear ratios.

Also, I suspect the actual catastrophic failure rate of the VE to be (if at all) only marginally higher than the VQ. Because the VQ was produced in such massive numbers, the cases of random catastrophic failure are overlooked whereas in the VE those cases are magnified.

For what it's worth, VQ's were/are plagued every bit as much as the VE with failing coil packs and knock sensors. The only difference is VQ coil packs can be had for cheap aftermarket and the knock sensor is a 5 minute job on the VQ instead of the tear-down-the-top-end job like on the VE. Injectors are identical. Other than the VTC problem there's no way for the VQ to be more "reliable", and keep in mind, VTC failure is rarely an actual reliability problem especially once grounded.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 PM
No turbo, no care!

I will give props for the tranny the VE uses there third gear ratio is outstanding and that why the VE start pulling it's the trannys that make the different. I know the 4thgen trannies are not that greatly geared out like the VE trannies..
Originally Posted by jbbons25
Looking the FSMs for the 94, 95 and 99 Maximas, their MTs have the same gear ratios for all forward gears (3.285, 1.850, 1.272, 0.954, 0.795).)
I even mentioned the gearing on the third is better then the 4thgen.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I miss my VE

Really? I said I own a VQ? Where? I said I raced against plenty and took my friend's VQ to the limit. Thats more than enough data required to make my conclusion on the stock performance differences between the 2. Even the later gens can't pass my VE on top end(which is also my friends car now) You said the 4th gen is heavier? Really? Please show me where you got this information from. I can show you otherwise if you want. Everyone on here knows that the 4th gen is lighter than the 3rd, if not the lightest Maxima of them all. The trunk is the weight of a feather. I especially like how it rattles even without prior accidents You say the VQ is bulletproof, but since when are aluminum engines stronger than iron ones? Hm? These VTC issues your talking about.. Don't know about you, but my friend has been driving for 100k with ungrounded ticking VTC's and I hear people all the time making it to 300k like that no problem. 7200rpm? Really? Hm, not too sure about that one big guy. I saw something along the lines of 6500 give or take on my friends tach. You sure you reading the thing the right way? This might help..

VQ30DE
The 3.0 L (2987 cc) VQ30DE has a bore and stroke of 93 mm and 73.3 mm respectively with a compression ratio of 10.0:1. It produces 193 PS (142 kW; 190 hp) to 230 PS (170 kW; 230 hp) @ 6400 rpm and 205 to 217 lb·ft (278 to 294 N·m) @4400 rpm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine

So yeah, that looks a bit off from what you were saying. I can guarantee all the other things you were saying and will say are going to be in tune with the information you provided about the weight of the vehicles, the gearing, the rpm, etc.

P.S. - The VE had a limited slip diff
Old 02-23-2012, 01:19 AM

I don't care to look up the coating stuff, but I am 99.99% sure you are wrong about the stock redline. IIRC, stock VQ redline is 6700ish. 7200 with a JWT ECT, maybe. It's been well established over the years the VQ doesn't perform all that well on the top end, which is why the middle east variable intake became all the rage.

Again, what are the 3rd gen and 4th gen gear ratios? Putting two and two together from your previous statement about the 3rd gen being "good in the snow" I suspect you're confusing the limited-slip differential (which the VE had) with gear ratios.

Also, I suspect the actual catastrophic failure rate of the VE to be (if at all) only marginally higher than the VQ. Because the VQ was produced in such massive numbers, the cases of random catastrophic failure are overlooked whereas in the VE those cases are magnified.

For what it's worth, VQ's were/are plagued every bit as much as the VE with failing coil packs and knock sensors. The only difference is VQ coil packs can be had for cheap aftermarket and the knock sensor is a 5 minute job on the VQ instead of the tear-down-the-top-end job like on the VE. Injectors are identical. Other than the VTC problem there's no way for the VQ to be more "reliable", and keep in mind, VTC failure is rarely an actual reliability problem especially once grounded.
The Fed spec can hit 7000 rpm stock, I can my fed spec, other fed specs can hit 7000 rpm the late 97-99 maximas can hit the redlines. The VQ are more relaible than the VE,because Ve's start smoking burning oil like the 3.5 or if that car has been driven hard to the ground.I wouldn't see a VQ do that. I always ask myself why I see so many of the VE thrown away out in JY most of them are in perfect condition. I will agree that the only problem on the VQ was there alternators in the 98 had a recall catching on fire issue blame nissan for going cheap on many things and the coil pack issues on the 99. the knock sensors issues and the o2 sensors on the 95-96 maximas. The 99 se-ls are the only ones that have the LSD and TCS. I am still looking for the gear ratio specs.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by BenStoked
so, a ve-auto is a 5-speed?
pass that blunt over here, man, you've been bogarting too long.

auto has a 4 -speed. manual has 5 speed.

Quick Reply: Buying new engine ?'s