3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

to keep or to sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:10 PM

to keep or to sale

I've just put over 3k into my car. I've owned the car since new and know everything that has been done to it. Due to a job change I'm now driving her 1000 miles every two weeks. She had been primarily sitting in the garage. Since I have started putting those kind of miles on her I've had to start putting some money into her as expected. My question is whether or not to put any more into her or just sale her (I know shes not worth anything). Currently I've just put new valve cover, manifold gaskets, and power steering rack. All belts and hoses from the timing belt on out are new. Recently I've replaced all the enjectors, spark plug wires, & plugs. All other electrical components, roter/etc are new. Struts on the front could stand to be replaced, originally replaced @ 150k. They have been on for 60k. I know I'm probably forgetting something as I have a log with everything that I've done to the car since new. As of now the original transmission is shifting OK but you never know. The engine is still strong and burns no oil. I'm wondering if the tranny goes if it would be cost effective to replace it or at that time just sale/trade it. I know I'll get nothing for trade in. She's not the prettiest thing in the world but I've always tried to be proactive and stay ahead of mechanical problems/issues. Another question is what she would be worth if I sold her..
Old 03-22-2012, 05:49 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

If you've just put 3k into it why in the world would you sell it?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 PM

Possible "money pit"

I guess I'm wondering if it will turn into a "money pit". So far I've made the decission to continue down the "keep it" road (as right now I really don't want to get into car payments) but at some point I've got to realize that this is money that could be going towards a "newer" vehicle.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:56 PM

3rd gens arent worth much anymore, even with all the stuff mine had i sold it for only $100 with blown engine and tranny

it would be a shame for you to sell it if youve owned it since new, you really wont get much for it. best advice i can give is keep it, sink minimal money into it and buy a newer car for work.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:18 PM

Thanks chrome91. Was your 92 on its original tranny when it expired?
Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by dealsgap
I guess I'm wondering if it will turn into a "money pit". So far I've made the decission to continue down the "keep it" road (as right now I really don't want to get into car payments) but at some point I've got to realize that this is money that could be going towards a "newer" vehicle.
You've done the most expensive stuff like those damn expensive Nissan fuel injectors....the big part is done! The struts are cheap and relatively easy for the DIYer! I wouldn't sell her unless you like spending $300-$600 per month on a car note plus full coverage auto insurance.....It's pretty nice to have a car that's paid for or free! I wouldn't let these little issues deter me, just stay on top of your maintenance and inspecting her vitals periodically and you'll be fine!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by dealsgap
Thanks chrome91. Was your 92 on its original tranny when it expired?
original engine and tranny, worst i had to do on the engine was the valve cover gaskets. engines crankshaft started to go at about 427,000km and the tranny blew the clutch band in 1st at 429k and a week later the engine started knocking. i think Royal Purple ATF kept the tranny going because i started having problems around 423K and they went away when i swapped tranny fluids

problem with GXE automatic trannies is they were designed for small 4 cylinder engines but Nissan put them with VG30E. so with a torquey V6 the trannies failed early. i always took care of mine though. worst thing you can do on automatics is go from R to D or D to R moving. dont do that, and always crank the Ebrake before going into park and it shouldnt be a problem

a transmission guy told me once that something like 80% of automatic transmission problems occur because people slam from reverse to drive/drive to reverse moving
Old 03-23-2012, 06:13 PM

If you're worried about racking up those miles on your Max, I'd consider buying something else to drive to work, and keeping your Max garaged and taking her out on the weekends.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:35 PM

dude its a 3rd gen. Just drive the snot out of it. They love miles. My 5 speed had 220,000 miles when i sold it and i barely changed the oil on that car.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:59 PM

OK you convinced me..

Thanks guys for all the ideas. The only thing that I'm really concerned about is the tranny right now. Good ideas from chrome91, I've never thought about cranking up the e-brake before putting it into park. I usually do the exact opposite, but of course I always park her in the garage or on level ground, never a hill..
I will probably keep her and fix any thing, even the tranny, if it goes. I've got a friend who owns a transmission shope so I know he will give me a good deal if I have to get that taken care of.
I've got an 08 HR 350z that sits in the garage. The maxima allows me to keep unnecessary miles off of the Z. As long as she holds together I try to only use the Z when I have to. It only has 18k on it...8^)...Don't tell her but the Z is my real baby..
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 AM

Whether new or used you'll always spend money on your rides. A new car will cost you atleast 600.00 every month for car note and insurance. If your capable of doing the mechanical work yourself then she's worth keeping. The money you've spent already would make it difficult for me to sell. My '89 GXE has around a 150,000 miles on her and she runs great. My boy just sold his 3rdgen w/400,000 miles on her and she ran great(exterior was close to mint). If you take care of her properly she'll outlast most cars from her era. Even owners who beat on them and maintain poorly get many years out of them. The 3rdgen is a great car all around and probably the best vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by whitek8gixxer
dude its a 3rd gen. Just drive the snot out of it. They love miles. My 5 speed had 220,000 miles when i sold it and i barely changed the oil on that car.
True. A friend of mine put over 300,000 miles on his VG before a head gasket let go. He's in the process of getting the replacement engine ready to drop in it.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:33 PM

If you've had a 3rd gen since new, you may have some kids that need a car to learn on or other family members may need it. If you decide to get something else, you won't get much for it, so giving it away may be an option.

After I drove it for years, my '91 has been the learner car for 3 of my 4 daughters and maybe even the 4th in a few years. They are heavier than the typical first car these days, which makes them generally safer. Plus they don't look 20 years old.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:04 PM

My max broke down not to long ago, and I got pissed off half way between trying to fix it that I listed it for sale; since then, I've bucked up and slowly accumulated parts to fix it. It's taken me a few months but I've gotten to the point that I can finally get it back on the road.

It's just a matter of how much you want to keep the car. You've just put money into it, and I'm sure you've gained enough knowledge to be able to make many minor repairs. If I were you I'd consider keeping it, or you could make one young kid happy by selling it.