3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

1991 maxima eng cont relay buzzing

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1991 maxima eng cont relay buzzing

hello, i am new to this site. i am an electrician not a mechanic at all. i have a 1991 nissan maxima. the "eng cont" relay is buzzing and the engine is running rough and will stall unless i maintain some pressure on the gas pedal. i replaced the relay and it still made the same buzzing/vibrating. the buzzing occurs while the car is turned off without the keys in the ignition and while running. i have exhaustively searched the internet and autoparts stores for a wiring diagram/schematic so that i may begin troubleshooting this but i cannot find anything but some windshield wiper and headlight diagrams...please help me as i need to drive this car to work and it would take weeks/months to test all the wires for loose connections as i do not know their layout or purpose?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by broken1991maxima
hello, i am new to this site. i am an electrician not a mechanic at all. i have a 1991 nissan maxima. the "eng cont" relay is buzzing and the engine is running rough and will stall unless i maintain some pressure on the gas pedal. i replaced the relay and it still made the same buzzing/vibrating. the buzzing occurs while the car is turned off without the keys in the ignition and while running. i have exhaustively searched the internet and autoparts stores for a wiring diagram/schematic so that i may begin troubleshooting this but i cannot find anything but some windshield wiper and headlight diagrams...please help me as i need to drive this car to work and it would take weeks/months to test all the wires for loose connections as i do not know their layout or purpose?
a member gave me this link a while back its the cars factory service manual ..
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/maxima/1994/
Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

THANKS Arsonist!!!!!!

I am very limited on time to do anything lately it seems...working full/overtime and attending night school...the manual will be very helpful Im sure. I will keep it posted as I get a chance to check some of the wiring. Thanks ALOT for your help.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by broken1991maxima
Have you checked the fuse block inside the car? Check your o2 sensor/wiring hareness, check your MAF sensor/wiring hareness.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

progress...if you want to call it that

well today i finally got some time...im working daytime and nightschool at night so its tight for time but anyway...i grabbed the wiring harness that enters the fuse/relay block under the hood and moved it around pretty good on both sides of the block...i did this several times and inserted the relay back in and listened for the buzzing...no buzzing! so i tried to start the car...needed a jump start since i havent ran it much in the past few weeks...after that it ran successfully like it ran before this whole buzzing fiasco began...i turned it off and restarted it under its own battery successfully again!...this is going good so far i know but it gets worse...i noticed my clutch pedal went almost to the floor before i got any release of the pressure plate...hmm, so i drove it...it was driving and shifting although i hardly had any clutch pedal...then...the clutch pedal failed altogether while i was on a busy road(bad idea i know) and i pulled into a gas station...i could only get it to go into 3rd gear...so i drove home in 3rd gear and parked it again...its too dark tonight to go any further...i dont have the haynes book for it yet but i will get it if i think i can fix this clutch problem...i have plenty of tools...does anyone have any advice or knowledge of any easy fixes so i can get some clutch pedal back? please help me???? i really dont have extra money to buy the haynes book though... thank you to everyone who has posted and read about my problems
Old 04-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

update: this morning i observed that my clutch isnt a mechanical cable system it is indeed a hydraulic system and further more its fluid reservoir was empty upon inspection. i physically, using my eyes and fingers traced the entire piping route from the clutch pedal push rod through the reservoir through to the transmission termination point(where the starter and transmission connect to the engine block)looking for points where the fluid may have leaked and found no wet spots along the way...it says to use only DOT3-4 fluid so im going to get some fluid and try to fill the reservoir and see what happens...maybe it will leak out again maybe it wont but if its empty on its own like it was then it will most like leak out again...i hope this isnt much different from bleeding my brake lines as i am not a mechanic and im screwed if it is...im going to give it a try....any advice would be extremely helpful please? im going to look at the haynes book at the auto parts store before i do it and if it contains info on the procedure i will purchase it...this sucks!