3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

PART NEEDED -- VE clutch fork (withdrawal lever)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM
Way out West

PART NEEDED -- VE clutch fork (withdrawal lever)

I finally got around to taking my car to a shop to get the clutch replaced.

The bearings went and it burned up the clutch fork, so I need one for a VE.

Also, is anyone positive if the clutch forks interchange from a VG or a VQ?

If anyone has a VE one available, shoot me a PM with a price including shipping to 97058.

This is what it looks like:

Name:  IMG_2874.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  74.9 KB

This is what happened to mine:

Name:  IMG_2875.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  59.4 KB

Last edited by Cliff Clavin; 04-05-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 PM

I have one. Don't you still have that other tranny though? Could just swap it.

The one I have is from a VG tran, but they're identical. I'm almost positive.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Hectic
I have one. Don't you still have that other tranny though? Could just swap it.

The one I have is from a VG tran, but they're identical. I'm almost positive.
James is shipping me one tomorrow, for sure from a VE

My original trans has no external pieces, just the shaft sticking out. I don't know what happened to the fork. I am pretty sure I don't have it in one of my bins because 90+ percent of them are filled with parts from the black parts car I had.

Do you happen to know the specs on the flywheel? My local machine shop guy said he could resurface the fidanza, but he needs to know the "step" from the factory specs. I have no idea, so I printed off the last 3 pages of the "clutch" section of the fsm to see if any of that makes sense to him.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 PM

Last 3 pages will do, that's where the specs are located. Didn't someone say the Danza doesn't ever need resurfacing though?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Way out West

Last 3 pages will do, that's where the specs are located. Didn't someone say the Danza doesn't ever need resurfacing though?
It definitely needs something done. There are terrible hot spots on it. From what I recall, Fidanza says you can resurface it once. You can also buy new inserts, which run like $50-$75. Going back to the OEM clutch should hopefully prevent it from needing anything else for a while, so a single resurface should hopefully do.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Way out West

Got the clutch fork on the way. Thanks, James...I owe you one.

As for the Fidanza, the insert is warped too much to resurface. I don't have time to order a new insert and get it into the car by Monday or Tuesday. I might be putting the Fidanza up for sale. If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. It will be needing the insert, which is $48.75 at Horsepower Freaks.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Isn't HPF in Portland?

nooooo, keep the Fidanza
Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by MrGone
Isn't HPF in Portland?

nooooo, keep the Fidanza
Too late, car should be finished today.

Yes, HPF is in Portland, but they don't have inserts in stock. They have to order them, which takes 5-7 business days. The car is torn apart taking up shop space in a busy garage.

I am going to miss it, but I might just hang onto it and put it back in later when I get some extra money or time.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 PM

What did you decide for the replacement clutch? Surely not another Act. Did you find out why the thing blew up in the first place? Double clutchin' not granny shifting like you should?
Old 04-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Way out West

What did you decide for the replacement clutch? Surely not another Act. Did you find out why the thing blew up in the first place? Double clutchin' not granny shifting like you should?
Throw out bearing blew apart, thus the damage to the clutch fork. I am not sure if that is what caused the damage to the flywheel.

It has been replaced with an OEM exedy clutch and I had to put the stock flywheel back in it.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
It has been replaced with an OEM exedy clutch and I had to put the stock flywheel back in it.
I'm having my OEM flywheel lightened, which is preferable to me than all the other options out there.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
I'm having my OEM flywheel lightened, which is preferable to me than all the other options out there.
I thought you smashed yours?

I can get the fidanza insert for $48. I might do that later. I don't really like how it drives now and I was very happy with my fidanza in there.

It is kind of strange driving it. It feels much less like a racing car than it did with the ACT and fidanza. It is really smooth, though.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 PM
No turbo, no care!

Same thing happened to me about 7 years ago, Im pretty sure it was a non-OEM throw out bearing that blew up on me. At the time others were saying it was important to use the OEM TOB regardless of the choice of clutch. The TOB was the only thing damaged but I decided to replace my clutch since I had just gone turbo. I went with a Spec Stage 3 and an OEM TOB despite the clutch coming with its own. That clutch performed flawlessly for almost 40K when it began slipping. I was so happy with that particular clutch that I replaced it was the exact same one about a year ago. This time however I decided to see what happens with the Spec TOB and installed it. So far so good.

Here you can see how the TOB came apart
Name:  brokenTOB.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  60.5 KB
The damage to my fork, not as bad since I pulled the trans right away.
Name:  ForkDamage.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  14.0 KB
You can see the old clutch and pressure plate were just fine, (below) and the Spec Stage 3 (above)
Name:  specclutch.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  55.6 KB
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Way out West

The mechanic took it apart and didn't show me the TOB. I am assuming it was in pieces because of the different types of damage -- flywheel, fork and also the edges of the disc are busted up. Pressure plate looks fine, though.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 PM

I thought you smashed yours?
Name:  2012-01-11_16-38-46_334.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  98.2 KB

Life goes on. Ready to play with a few more horses.

Last edited by Augustus Maximus; 04-12-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:04 PM

Name:  clutch.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  105.7 KB
Went back to stock clutch and PP today. I didn't like the 350Z setup at all, so after less than 500 miles on it I threw it out. Sweetening her up for DD duty now that the VE crashed.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Augustus Maximus
Went back to stock clutch and PP today. I didn't like the 350Z setup at all, so after less than 500 miles on it I threw it out. Sweetening her up for DD duty now that the VE crashed.
Sounds kind of familiar. Part of what prompted me to finally fix the Maxima is the cost of diesel. I have been driving my truck to work and I figured I had better put the Maxima back into service to save money on gas.

Now I need to figure out why it's misfiring. I think I have a bad rear coil pack. It's always something.

I like the Z31. I think that's a good choice for a fun little car without all of the headaches of a Z32 engine. I have always loved the Z32s, but I am afraid to look under the hood of those sometimes.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:29 PM

Sounds kind of familiar. Part of what prompted me to finally fix the Maxima is the cost of diesel. I have been driving my truck to work and I figured I had better put the Maxima back into service to save money on gas.

Now I need to figure out why it's misfiring. I think I have a bad rear coil pack. It's always something.

I like the Z31. I think that's a good choice for a fun little car without all of the headaches of a Z32 engine. I have always loved the Z32s, but I am afraid to look under the hood of those sometimes.
Hell try to fit your entire hand any where under the hood of one of those cars. Only Nissan you got to pay me good money to work on. Otherwise I'm not touching it.