3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Clutch replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 AM

Clutch replacement help

Hey my maxima buddy's. I have a 1992 ve30de. Which I'm in love with lol. I've been doing most of the work myself from tune up to injector change. Now my clutch has been slipping very bad, my ? Is how hard is it to replace a clutch. Do I need any special tool? Do I have to remove any major parts like axle ? Do I need a engine lifter? I'm doing on jack stands. Thanks. I like to save money n doing it myself.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Way out West

You do need to take out the axles.

You will need a 36mm socket and either air tools or a long pipe (extension) to get more leverage on the big axle nut. Maybe if you are really strong you can do it with a normal 1/2 inch drive socket wrench, but I couldn't. haha

You do not need to take out the engine, but you will need to use a jack or trans. jack to remove the tranny.

If you buy a clutch kit, it will come with the alignment tool, pressure plate and throw out bearing. You should also replace your gear box fluid, too. It's a good time to just drain it all and start new.

Price will depend on what kind of clutch you want. For performance, get an Exedy Stage 1 or maybe an ACT street disc. I had an ACT, but it was ruined when my throw out bearing exploded. Performance clutches are bout $300 to $400.

Stock clutch, just get an OEM exedy. They are between $120 and $200 for the kit, depending on where you buy it. My most recent clutch is an OEM exedy one I just had installed. I am getting too old and lazy to do it myself.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:43 PM

Doesn't sound that bad thanks. As for the gear oil, I change it about 5 months ago. It's fresh, I don't think I need to change the oil.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:49 PM

What do you think about clutch kits on eBay?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Hi Chris, thanks again for the Fidenza, i am loving it.....except the few times i had to do stop and go going up hill....
Now back to the OP, replacing the clutch isn't difficult at all, if you are doing it for the first time, plan on spending a day taking it apart and another day to put it back together. No need for special tools but a 36mm 1/2' socket and a long breaker bar for the axle nut, (my craftsman impact wasn't strong enough anyway), only driver side axle is necessary not the passenger side, i didn't even use my transmission jack, a good quality 3 tons jack will be good enough. no need to touch the exhaust or motor mounts, only the two tranny mounts will have to come out. Get the car high enough, block the back wheel and make sure the car is on jack stands GOOD, then go have fun.
BTW, i went with a SACHS clutch from O'Reilly, local, cheap and seem to have good quality, Pressure plate from England, Disc from Korea, and TOB from Japan. For a DD i think it is more than good enough for me.
I did reuse my gear oil too, they are redline oil n i just change it a couple thousand miles ago.
ebay clutch??? i don't know if i trust them....

Last edited by NismoChi; 07-07-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:06 PM

Thanks. I can handle the job I just need to buy a 36mm socket. I'll go with a excedy clutch on eBay for $120. I want to thank you guys for the pointer. God bless my Nissan brothers
Old 07-07-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by TonyJr
Thanks. I can handle the job I just need to buy a 36mm socket. I'll go with a excedy clutch on eBay for $120. I want to thank you guys for the pointer. God bless my Nissan brothers
Whatever you do if you haven't already read... USE OEM THROUGH OUT BEARING. Too many of us have fallen to the aftermarket culprit tob. Don't be like some of us and have to go back in and replace stuff over a simple prevenitive situation.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by TonyJr
Hey my maxima buddy's. I have a 1992 ve30de. Which I'm in love with lol. I've been doing most of the work myself from tune up to injector change. Now my clutch has been slipping very bad, my ? Is how hard is it to replace a clutch. Do I need any special tool? Do I have to remove any major parts like axle ? Do I need a engine lifter? I'm doing on jack stands. Thanks. I like to save money n doing it myself.
This is my second post here. On my own point of view the repair depends on the clutch. There are those you can get that are sprung and unsprung. 99% of the time however this is required. I may try to look at the correct parts number and though im quite late with this i hope you are still in touch or might already find the answer to your question.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by Coleen
This is my second post here. On my own point of view the repair depends on the clutch. There are those you can get that are sprung and unsprung. 99% of the time however this is required. I may try to look at the correct parts number and though im quite late with this i hope you are still in touch or might already find the answer to your question.
Holy huge sig pic batman