3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd Gen Progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:04 PM

James, if you register on their site and add item to cart it will provide the part number and according to the rep. from nissanpartszone there are only less than 7 left in the nation so hurry and order it.

7mJoe, they suck but luckily its only 2 broken ones and the motor is already out so it will be easy.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
James, if you register on their site and add item to cart it will provide the part number and according to the rep. from nissanpartszone there are only less than 7 left in the nation so hurry and order it.

7mJoe, they suck but luckily its only 2 broken ones and the motor is already out so it will be easy.
Thats how I replaced mine. How much was the part?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 PM

$70 something and change
Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 PM

$70 something and change
I'll feel a hoarding urge coming over me. Lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:14 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Well since I don't know which part it is that is nearly out of stock then I don't have a way to add it to my cart without knowing the name of the part, or at least a description or something. Ya know what I mean?

Can you identify it on here?

http://www.nissanpartszone.com/Page_...igPicture=true

You said it goes under the glass so would that be 79825? Though you said it was $70 something and the only part I see that's $70 is 79810, but that one looks like the main outside molding (and I remember you said the part you needed went under the glass).

Last edited by James92SE; 10-18-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:58 AM

79825 is the one i just ordered and it is being shipped as we speak. 79810 will be my next victim. Remember both of those are extremely limited so order now.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Maxtastic GXE
Awesome work! I can't wait for the final product!
Your Pearl SE is clean as hell!!

Also if you have noticed my sig, my 3rd gen is gonna look like that when its done including the rims being 2 toned.
Got any new pics?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:01 AM

79825 is the one i just ordered and it is being shipped as we speak. 79810 will be my next victim. Remember both of those are extremely limited so order now.
Cool, thanks. So are 79825 and 79810 the only OEM parts I need to re-do the rear window?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:54 PM

Shiloh no new pics yet. All ive been able to do is install new front windshield with SE trimming and install rear bumper cover. Right now im focusing on just replacing some preventative parts on the engine.

James; from the looks of it those are the only parts that seems we will need for the rear the glass. Ill snap some pics once one of them arrive.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:01 PM

Shiloh no new pics yet. All ive been able to do is install new front windshield with SE trimming and install rear bumper cover. Right now im focusing on just replacing some preventative parts on the engine.

James; from the looks of it those are the only parts that seems we will need for the rear the glass. Ill snap some pics once one of them arrive.
If they are then Ima snag some for preventative issues down the road. I already have spare window glasses.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 AM

Well, the rear glass moulding finally arrived yesterday and in fact its the correct one. Now i need to order the SE moulding rubber seal that goes around the back glass. Today i went ahead and started replacing the valve cover gaskets; while trying to take off the upper intake manifold i accidently broke one of my injectors. The pins are still good but not sure if the connector will stay in place and i would hate to assemble it and disassemble later on. Wondering if any of you have a good spare injector for my '93 VG; its a tan injector.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 AM

Wondering if any of you have a good spare injector for my '93 VG; its a tan injector.
The top color of the new injectors are actually pink but they fade to tan over time.

But what dot color do your injectors have? It has to be either yellow or green and you can't mix them.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:54 PM

jbbons25: i honestly can't see the dots you are talking about? i only removed the UIM and not the spacer to get access to the LIM. I'll just leave it as is since the pins are still in tact. Hopefully this shouldn't be an issue at all, i really don't want to drop anymore cash on this engine anyway since i will end up doing another swap in the near future when i have more funds available.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:54 PM

jbbons25: i honestly can't see the dots you are talking about?
I guess with age, this will be also be hard to tell since it's painted on and it could have come off. The color dot would be located on the top of the connector part of the injector. Try to find one injector in your rail that may have the dot.

example (last image): http://microjet.ath.cx/WebWiki/2007....Wierdness.html
Old 10-29-2012, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by jbbons25
I guess with age, this will be also be hard to tell since it's painted on and it could have come off. The color dot would be located on the top of the connector part of the injector. Try to find one injector in your rail that may have the dot.

example (last image): http://microjet.ath.cx/WebWiki/2007....Wierdness.html
I'll double check this again this weekend. Thanks for the info buddy.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:19 PM

Over a month later and finally today i installed the engine and tranny back into my car. Still need to install the axles, replace vacuum hoses and fuel hoses, install my y-pipe and wire engine back up. Need to also reinstall the door handles then the door windows and door panels. Little by little and she is coming together again.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:54 PM

Today, i began to install my door handles. Only the driver side is left since i have to put it together with the keypad and then install it. I also installed my door seals and window seals and then installed the windows except for my front driver side since i wasn't able to install the door handle yet. i still need to get an upper intake manifold gasket and replace all vacuum hoses and fuel hoses so i can wrap up the engine bay. Hopefully next weekend i can install my front bumper and finish up the front drivers door. Here are a few pics:

Old 12-09-2012, 03:07 PM

Nice man how'd the rear window install go?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Very smooth, very smooth. LOL! I still need to get the top seal though.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:18 PM

Very smooth, very smooth. LOL! I still need to get the top seal though.
Great progress!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:42 PM

So, yesterday i hooked up the battery to the car and finally rolled the windows up. Seems that everything is operating ok but still need to finish with the engine and connect everything in the engine bay. But ever since i took the car apart i can't seem to remove my key from the ignition. Not sure if the car still thinks that its in park cuz i never removed the Trans. Control Unit after i did my 5spd swap years ago. Also the engine harness is obviously still not plugged into the engine and trans. not sure if that has anything to do with the key being stuck in the ignition but i need my key out of the ignition!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 AM

Man I remember that happening to me on my blue VE when I was gutting it for the 5 speed swap. I remember being so pissed off about that. I can't for the life of me remember how I got it out, though.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:01 AM

There should be an emergency release button around the lock assembly. Remove the cover and look inside for a red button to push.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 AM

I shall look for that emergency release this weekend. Hopefully i can get my key back. Ill let you know the outcome.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jbbons25
There should be an emergency release button around the lock assembly. Remove the cover and look inside for a red button to push.
Well, i tried what you stated and it worked. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

GRNMAXDMON, I have a question. I'm in the process of pulling the engine in a 92 GXE to repair the broken exhaust studs and was wondering if you had any tips you could throw my way. I believe there are 5 studs total that are broken. 2 on the front and 3 on the rear. Also, did you pull your engine out the top or drop it out the bottom? I also read a few years ago when I had to replace the drive axles that I had to replace them one at a time because if I pulled them both out then a gear would drop off inside the transaxle. I don't know where I read that but wasn't sure if it was true.

Matt
Old 03-03-2013, 06:17 AM

I'm loving the progress on this car... In for more updates!

This exhaust stud issue I hear everyone talk about.... I've dealt with it in the past multiple times on 1st gen pathfinders and 3rd gen Maximas, and I've done it myself a few times, paid a mechanic a few times, and once attempted it and failed miserably and had to tow the car to a mechanic.

So one thing I can say is this is one of those things you let a professional do. It's nowhere near as much a pain in the *** to them as it is to us. No pulling the engine, no broken easy outs, it's done in a day or so, and I've never been charged much or it. Not enough that I ever want to attempt it myself again.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:20 AM

Let e clarify to save a little dignity here... On the last car I mentioned, there were six broken studs, 3 in back 3 in front, all of which I was successful with except for the last one on the front, which turned into a botched up mess.:/
Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by mattd1979
GRNMAXDMON, I have a question. I'm in the process of pulling the engine in a 92 GXE to repair the broken exhaust studs and was wondering if you had any tips you could throw my way. I believe there are 5 studs total that are broken. 2 on the front and 3 on the rear. Also, did you pull your engine out the top or drop it out the bottom? I also read a few years ago when I had to replace the drive axles that I had to replace them one at a time because if I pulled them both out then a gear would drop off inside the transaxle. I don't know where I read that but wasn't sure if it was true.

Matt
Sorry, for the late reply. I dropped the engine with tranny and crossmember from underneath. Once it was completely out I basically replaced my water pump, cam seals, timing belt, front and rear engine mounts and all of the exhaust studs with Nissans updated studs (turbo studs). Reinstalled engine and tranny back into my car and ive been putting it back together ever since. I just need to get new fuel hoses, spark plug wires, cap and rotor and I should be able to have her running in a few weeks.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:37 PM

Encouraging build, keep up the good work!
Old 03-24-2013, 07:02 PM

GRNMAXDMON............ This makes me want to do another 3rd gen project! Nice work! You going to put back on the stillen bodykit?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by 2Legal4Me
GRNMAXDMON............ This makes me want to do another 3rd gen project! Nice work! You going to put back on the stillen bodykit?
thanks, and yes i am reinstalling the lip kit. If you take a look at my sig pic, thats how the car will look when its done. Just yesterday i went ahead and finished replacing vacuum hoses. All i need to replace now is just the spark plug wires, fuel filter, alternator and power steering belt and clutch master cylinder. Change oil filter and oil, add coolant and power steering fluid. Maybe 1 more month and i should finally be done, then take her back to the bodyshop for wet sanding and buffing, get the title changed to my name and get a new tag.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:30 PM

here is the latest pic so far with windows up. At least i know my regulators are still operational .
Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 PM

Sorry guys, apparently i came to a dilemma where i couldn't install the rear glass cuz i need a moulding that goes under it. Called nissan and courtesy and either one of them do not carry it anymore so i hit up nissanpartszone.com and they actually have the moulding. the rear glass are the same for both gxe and se and so is the moulding. now i need to order the rubber seal that goes around the glass for the SE. once i have both i can finally install the rear glass. right now im currently trying to remove the broken exhaust studs from the cylinder head and replace timing belt with camshaft seals and both motor mounts, then the motor goes back in and then i will continue with the exterior. its a very slow process but i really don't want to rush it.
Take your time and do it right.....While in there You might wanna upgrade those valve cover screws with bolts....I find it easier to tighten with a socket, once intake UIM is installed a gearwrench or boxed end wrench can still tighten them.....I use loctite on these V/C bolts cause I don't want them to ever loosen on their own from engine vibration.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:00 PM

here is the latest pic so far with windows up. At least i know my regulators are still operational .
Is this a Home garage paint job? Looks nice!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 AM

It does look nice, good job. Props for doing it the hard way.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Hectic
It does look nice, good job. Props for doing it the hard way.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Is this a Home garage paint job? Looks nice!!!
No it isn't. I took the car apart at my parents home and then towed it to the body shop. Once it was done painted I towed it back to my parents and began to reinstall everything and then I can drive it back to the shop to get it wet sanded and buffed. Aside from that, thanks.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Take your time and do it right.....While in there You might wanna upgrade those valve cover screws with bolts....I find it easier to tighten with a socket, once intake UIM is installed a gearwrench or boxed end wrench can still tighten them.....I use loctite on these V/C bolts cause I don't want them to ever loosen on their own from engine vibration.
Oh believe me I have pretty much extended too long. Soon it will driveable.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 PM

Were you able to get all the window trim off without breaking it? I know how to remove the "belt moldings" (the ones parallel to the ground at the door/glass junction), but the rest seems tricky

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Progress