3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

what the...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 10:32 AM

what the...

Yesterday morning, after driving a couple of miles, I park my car and turn off the engine..pull the key out..but I hear a winding noise. I pop the hood and notice that the sound is coming from the front right part of the engine bay which i believe is the starter? I was in a hurry so I didn't think much of it. I come back about 10 hours later and my battery is dead!

Anyone else ever have this problem??
Old 01-11-2002, 10:34 AM
STFU n00b!

ummm, was your car in gear when this happened? if so, it couldn't be your starter, unless it didn't engage on the flywheel...
and the starter is almost directly underneath the battery.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:35 AM
I'm needing a caw

No. I bet your solenoid is stuck, that's why your battery went dead. Solution is new starter or take apart old one and try to fis.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
ummm, was your car in gear when this happened? if so, it couldn't be your starter, unless it didn't engage on the flywheel...
and the starter is almost directly underneath the battery.
No, the car was not in gear. The car actually ran fine..just as it always did.
ok, in that case..i guess it's not my starter then..because the noise was coming from the opposite side of the battery...maybe it's the compressor then? i wish I had the manual.
Old 01-11-2002, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
No. I bet your solenoid is stuck, that's why your battery went dead. Solution is new starter or take apart old one and try to fis.
I got a new starter less than a year ago back in April. but i guess we already figured out that it's not the starter..(read above)

the noise was definitely coming from this metal box like thing with little metal pipes coming out of it.. (can you tell that I know next to nothing about cars??)
Old 01-11-2002, 11:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Waiiiit a minute, you mean the front right FACING the engine bay, or as you're sitting in the car? If it's the front passenger's side, the little metal box with all the metal tubes coming out of it is the ABS actuator (or something). I don't know if it makes much noise or not. Is there anything else around there maybe?
Old 01-12-2002, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Bman
Waiiiit a minute, you mean the front right FACING the engine bay, or as you're sitting in the car? If it's the front passenger's side, the little metal box with all the metal tubes coming out of it is the ABS actuator (or something). I don't know if it makes much noise or not. Is there anything else around there maybe?
Sorry...shoulda been more clear on that.. front right from sitting inside the car. so yes, I guess it is the ABS actuator. Come to think of it...my ABS light has been coming on and off lately. Could the two be related?

by the way..thank God the problem went away..cuz otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to get my y-pipe installed today.