3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Can't find this info anymore, can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 10:48 AM

Can't find this info anymore, can anyone help?

Hi..I came across one information in this board before (I remember it was in the shop section?) but can't find it anymore. I wonder if anyone can help.

The issue is when I shift from N to D. The tranny takes a pause for 2 seconds then it will engage in 1st gear. I recall someone post an information about replacing a plastic piece somewhere in the shifting lever linkage. Can anyone help point me to the right direction please?

Regards,

-AC
Old 01-11-2002, 11:40 AM

The palstic pice you are thinking of is the plastic bushing. There are two: one on each end of the shift cable. You have a problem with the bushings only when the gear indicator on the shift console doesn't match the gear the trans is in.
If it takes a long time to change gears, you either need a fluid flush and/or the line pressures are low.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. There is no problem after the gear is engaged to 1st and the gear change from that point onwards is fine. The only problem is from N to D takes 2-3 seconds to engage. Tranny flush was performed 2k miles ago and it has nothing to do with this problem. The problem has been started 30-40k miles ago. It's not getting worse. I remember the information state clearly the exact same issue as I have. But I'll check into the plastic of the shifting cable anyway. I found out Nissan use lots of poor qquality plastic and they breaks a lot (eg. the plastic holds the cable for power window).
-AC
Old 01-15-2002, 12:51 PM

It's been a while since your post, but if you're still having touble I had a similar issue.

My tranny sometimes wouldn't engage when I shifted (auto) from park to any other gear and would hesitate on shifts. I thought it was the tranny going out, but after taking it to AAMCO it turned out to just be a $7 plastic gromit. Cost $40 to install though.
Old 01-15-2002, 01:31 PM

Thanks for reply and I do still have the problem. Yes, I recall somebody mentioned a piece of plastic and where is it? I looked at my Chilton's manual (pls don't laught, I know it's pretty useless) and there is no graphical illustration. There is only one small section about adjusting the shifting cable. Could you give me move info as to where to look for that plastic piece? Thanks again.

-AC
Old 01-15-2002, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by AC439
Thanks for reply and I do still have the problem. Yes, I recall somebody mentioned a piece of plastic and where is it? I looked at my Chilton's manual (pls don't laught, I know it's pretty useless) and there is no graphical illustration. There is only one small section about adjusting the shifting cable. Could you give me move info as to where to look for that plastic piece? Thanks again.

-AC
yah i have a chiltons, yah it does suck, i`ll see what a haynes has, and i know the FSM is good