3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 12:20 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

My friend has a 91 Nissan 240 5 spd with a Cherry Bomb and a port and polish job. He was talking all this crap, so we had to find out. He removes his stock airbox and this we run them. We were neck and neck up 'til 75 mph and I pulled a half car length on him. We quickly shut it down at about 85 mph.

I did not expect his car to even hang with me. He knows how to race his 5 spd too. My question is, do you think the port and polish helped him that much? Or is that car that fast pefectly stock?
Old 01-11-2002, 12:24 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

Originally posted by Aaron92SE
My friend has a 91 Nissan 240 5 spd with a Cherry Bomb and a port and polish job. He was talking all this crap, so we had to find out. He removes his stock airbox and this we run them.
ummmm, you sure he actually has a p/p job??? I'm just curious since you say he's still using the stock airbox....it just sounds fishy to me..... but p/p on the intake/exhaust has proven minimal gains on N/A maximas to answer your question.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:26 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

and another thing....you're only running 16's and consider the 240 runs mid 16s as well...the comp is definently there!
Old 01-11-2002, 12:27 PM

My friend has a 91 Nissan 240 5 spd with a Cherry Bomb and a port and polish job. He was talking all this crap, so we had to find out. He removes his stock airbox and this we run them. We were neck and neck up 'til 75 mph and I pulled a half car length on him. We quickly shut it down at about 85 mph.

I did not expect his car to even hang with me. He knows how to race his 5 spd too. My question is, do you think the port and polish helped him that much? Or is that car that fast pefectly stock?
240SX 5 spd.'s ARE FAST. i would not think about getting your car ported because of the bad gas mileage. but if you have the money... go for it
Old 01-11-2002, 12:31 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by DA-MAX
and another thing....you're only running 16's and consider the 240 runs mid 16s as well...the comp is definently there!
Yeah, that's true. I am not sure he actually has a true P/P job. That's what he said. I don't know exactly what is involved in doing that.

I raced a 93 240 Auto at the drag strip in Vegas (2010'). He ran a 17.80. I know the 5 speeds are faster. I wasn't sure how much faster. It was definitely a great race. He had me worried.

Do you know what is involved in a p/p job?
Old 01-11-2002, 12:35 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Do you know what is involved in a p/p job?
well, if I'm correct a grinder is used to smooth of and take off excess surface area of the manifolds(or whatever is being ported). I know when Don did this a while back he stated how many lbs of material was shaved off, but I don't rememeber. but after all that he saw about a 1-2hp gain n/A from this p/p of the intake and exhaust! I guess without some type of forced induc. there is no point in doing it for an N/A car!
Old 01-11-2002, 12:35 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Re: Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
240SX 5 spd.'s ARE FAST. i would not think about getting your car ported because of the bad gas mileage. but if you have the money... go for it
I am not going to do this to my car. I would just like to know what exactly is done when you p/p. And yeah, he was pretty quick. But, he never had me. I would line him up to the newer (00-01) V6 Accords. I bet they would run identical times. I say that b/c I can BARELY edge out both of them.
Old 01-11-2002, 12:45 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

I would line him up to the newer (00-01) V6 Accords. I bet they would run identical times. I say that b/c I can BARELY edge out both of them.
a stock Accord V6, even with all your mods??? you sure your car is perfoeming up to par?? you should easily take a stock Accord V6 with the mods you've got!
Old 01-11-2002, 01:02 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

a stock Accord V6, even with all your mods??? you sure your car is perfoeming up to par?? you should easily take a stock Accord V6 with the mods you've got!
Yeap, I'm pretty sure my car is running up to par. I did a full tune up. The ONLY thing I can think of, that I haven't done yet is... a radiator flush, thermostat, and the PCV valve (I can't find that thing). Will these effect my performance?

I just raced a 00 or 01 V6 Accord last night. From a roll on at 20 mph up to about 50 mph. He stepped on it first and then I quickly stepped on it and he stopped gaining on me and I started to creep away. But, it wasn't a full race.

My brother in Las Vegas has a V6 Accord with intake. At the time, I had a POP and Y-pipe. That's it. We were the same up until 45 mph (my 1-2 shift). He pulled on me 1/2 car length where I held him until we shut it down at about 80. Now, I have UDP and that knocked off 2 tenths off my 1/4 mile.

The reason why I am only running 16.14, is b/c the Strip at Vegas is not only over 2000 feet, the track has an incline of 11' throughout the duration of the 1/4 mile. Wierd? Yeah, but it's true. When the season opens up, I am going to run my car again. I am in eastern NC where the elevation is 47 feet. I plan to be running 15.70's.

But, still you say, I should be easily beating V6 Accords? With my VE Auto? With all the mods I have done, I have shaved about .65 off my stock 1/4 mile. I think that's pretty good. But, if you think my car is running up to par...any sugestions? It runs, shifts, and accelerates great. But, I have only had my car since Aug 2001. So, I don't know what a perfectly tuned VE Auto should run.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:14 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

I dunno man....V6 Accord is a 16.3's car and pretty much the same as the auto VE interms of top-end performance...now low-end is a different story, VE wins there!! I'm not really sure, but those mods should have you creaming a stock V6 Accord or tieing if the Accord has equal mods(I/E)! and yeah your times are pretty good, .65 off is nothing to laugh at! I dunno, maybe its the Vegas altitude?!?! but as long as you know the car is running up to par than I guess its all good!

But, still you say, I should be easily beating V6 Accords? With my VE Auto? With all the mods I have done, I have shaved about .65 off my stock 1/4 mile. I think that's pretty good. But, if you think my car is running up to par...any sugestions? It runs, shifts, and accelerates great. But, I have only had my car since Aug 2001. So, I don't know what a perfectly tuned VE Auto should run.
Old 01-11-2002, 01:25 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

I dunno man....V6 Accord is a 16.3's car and pretty much the same as the auto VE interms of top-end performance...now low-end is a different story, VE wins there!! I'm not really sure, but those mods should have you creaming a stock V6 Accord or tieing if the Accord has equal mods(I/E)! and yeah your times are pretty good, .65 off is nothing to laugh at! I dunno, maybe its the Vegas altitude?!?! but as long as you know the car is running up to par than I guess its all good!

Yeap, my brother ran his Accord at the Vegas Strip and his best was a 16.24. Do you have any kind of messenger service? Yahoo, MSN, AOL?
Old 01-11-2002, 02:53 PM

Do you know if the ignition coils were replaced?
They make a big difference on an old VE (if they have over 80k miles). Just a suggestion!
Old 01-11-2002, 02:57 PM
STFU n00b!

port and polish involves removing the head from the engine and grinding out metal from the heads, so that you open them up for more flow.

on certain cars (big domestic V8s mostly) you can see some BIG gains.. 15-20-40hp, depending on how wild you go with the work. That's why high performance race heads cost so friggin much.. (couple thousand compared to a few hundred).

on our cars, you might see 5-10hp, but I doubt you'll get any more than that, given how well the engine runs already. both VE and VG, the biggest restriction in the engine is the intake manifold and throttle body. open those up and you'll see some gains. the heads already flow pretty well.

also read on the Z31 websites.. there's a couple guys that have been doing headwork on their Z31s (VG30E.. dunno whether they're turbo or not), but they've gotten some really good gains out of headwork.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:48 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by eric93SE
Do you know if the ignition coils were replaced?
They make a big difference on an old VE (if they have over 80k miles). Just a suggestion!
Cool, I will test the coils. I believe Chilton's explains it. Thanks for the suggestion. I have 106K miles on my Maxima. Just last week, it was 103K miles. I drove cross country.

Thanks Matt for explaining it. My friend did not do a real p/p job. He only cleaned the inside of his engine.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:43 AM

ve are that slow

a VE with a y-pipe, intake and udp pulls a 16.2 plus a little? im suddenly not feeling too bad about my VG workhorse
Old 01-12-2002, 01:02 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: ve are that slow

Originally posted by nardo'89SE
a VE with a y-pipe, intake and udp pulls a 16.2 plus a little? im suddenly not feeling too bad about my VG workhorse
remember he's at a higher altitude!
Old 01-12-2002, 10:20 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Re: ve are that slow

remember he's at a higher altitude!
Thanks DA-MAX. I found out today that the 1/4 mile strip is open right now. I'm not sure if they even closed down for the season. I thought I was going to run my car today, but I guess it will have to wait until next Saturday. That will be the next T 'n' T. If my calculations are correct, I should be running atleast 15.70's at 50 feet elevation. And the track is only 20 minutes away from my house. I can't wait to find out what's going to happen.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:14 AM

Remember guys, this is also an Automatic.

I run 14.6 with the same mods plus exhaust and JWT ECU.

With a Pop and Advanced timing alone Czar ran a 14.8 in his VE.
Old 01-12-2002, 11:26 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by JonnyMax

Remember guys, this is also an Automatic.

I run 14.6 with the same mods plus exhaust and JWT ECU.

With a Pop and Advanced timing alone Czar ran a 14.8 in his VE.
Boy, the power of the VE 5spd. It's a full second faster than the VE Auto's. I like my car...nobody knows it's a sleeper until they race me. Plus, the drivability is great. The car doesn't have to strain as hard to make it around town.
Old 01-12-2002, 01:10 PM
89GXE

Yes check the coils, you said you did a full tune up what plugs
did you use? Be sure to use NGK (in your case platinuim) I have
never seen any Nissan run well on Bosch Platiniums I was in
Nissan technical training this week and that subject came up
and we figure it is due to the internal resistance of the plug
is not right for the way Nissan designs thier coils.

Old 01-13-2002, 01:50 PM

port and polish

was ondering if i port and polished my heads how much gains i owuld get. 10hp?
Old 01-13-2002, 02:03 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: port and polish

Originally posted by dnas420
was ondering if i port and polished my heads how much gains i owuld get. 10hp?
port and polish the heads and throw in some cams and you should see some sweet gains!
Old 01-13-2002, 07:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

porting and polishing heads will give you some extra power. it depends on a few things though. first, how much you decide to do with it. just touching up and opening up the heads will give you more or less considering what condition they're in now. if for some reason, there's carbon buildup, etc., you will be getting better results. also, if you're going to do that, doing a 5-angle valve job will net you better numbers. lastly, if you happened to have a turbo car (i.e. vg30et), you'd be seeing an even bigger increase. honestly, if you have the time and money, go for it!
Old 01-13-2002, 07:04 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by 89GXE
Yes check the coils, you said you did a full tune up what plugs
did you use? Be sure to use NGK (in your case platinuim) I have
never seen any Nissan run well on Bosch Platiniums I was in
Nissan technical training this week and that subject came up
and we figure it is due to the internal resistance of the plug
is not right for the way Nissan designs thier coils.
My engine runs great. Do you still think it could be the coils?

Also, as soon as I bought my car, I didn't know much about it. So, I did a full tune up and the Owner's Manual said "Platinum Plugs". So, I went to Pep Boys and the only platinums they had were Bosch. So, that is what I am running right now. How much of a difference could it make if my "brand new" Bosch Platinums aren't good enough? Also, do you think it would be worth it for me to go out and buy all new NGK's? Isn't that like $50 for 6 of them? If these new plugs shave a tenth off my 1/4, it will be worth it. Please let me know what you think. I am really interested in making my car run as perfect as possible. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by JDM4LIFE
doing a 5-angle valve job will net you better numbers.
I've heard on a daily driver a 5 angle job decreases engine life.....with the added "angles" I think it was said that carbon builds in between them. I heard the same for a 3 angle job....I guess its a risk you gotta take for the added edge!
Old 01-14-2002, 02:35 AM

I've heard on a daily driver a 5 angle job decreases engine life.....with the added "angles" I think it was said that carbon builds in between them. I heard the same for a 3 angle job....I guess its a risk you gotta take for the added edge!
Interesting.... this reminds me of something. Does anyone remember this new technology for American V8 intake valves where there's a secondary valve built-in to the face of the valve head? It's supposed to let in extra air past the spring-loaded extra valve (looks like a miniature version of a regular valve). Last I heard of this was almost 10 years ago and it sounded exciting. My weird musclecar phase ended soon after so I don't know if these special valves became popular or faded away. Anyone know?

(Oh yeah, what happened with "hypereutectic pistons" too? Don't hear those mentioned much these days...)

Dang, I'm outta it!
Old 01-15-2002, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
180s are fast,240s aint especially stock,like was said earlier on this post its a low 16 second car out of the box
Old 01-16-2002, 01:52 PM

I dont know how to tell you this, but with 16.1 with all those mods and VE, dude your car is slow.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Maximum5spd

I dont know how to tell you this, but with 16.1 with all those mods and VE, dude your car is slow.
JESUS, do you people read.....he's at a HIGHER ALTITUDE!!!!!!! CHRIST!!!
Old 01-16-2002, 02:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

JESUS, do you people read.....he's at a HIGHER ALTITUDE!!!!!!! CHRIST!!!
Well if he had a 2JZ it wouldnt matter.
Old 01-16-2002, 02:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

Hey Dude What part of eastern North Carolina do you live? I live in the Pinehurst Area. And Im Pretty Sure that Rockingham Dragway and The Fayetville Motorsports Complex are about open on Friday Nights.... But you can call and see for sure. I know that Alot of Import guys go to both places.

BIGDOG
Old 01-16-2002, 03:32 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

Originally posted by BIGDOG
Hey Dude What part of eastern North Carolina do you live? I live in the Pinehurst Area. And Im Pretty Sure that Rockingham Dragway and The Fayetville Motorsports Complex are about open on Friday Nights.... But you can call and see for sure. I know that Alot of Import guys go to both places.

BIGDOG
I live in Snow Hill, which is in the middle of Greenville, Kinston, Goldsboro, and Wilson. I grew up in this area. This weekend (weather permitting), I am going to the Kinston Drag Strip. They are a 1/4 mile drag strip and OPEN. I called just to make sure and I can get in a TnT this Saturday for $15. Since Kinston is at 47 feet elevation, I am FINALLY going to find out what my car is capable of running.

If my car is still running 16.10's at almost sea level, then yall can say that my car is slow. If you want to come my way, I will race you. But, you have to be next to me and not be a VE 5spd.
Old 01-18-2002, 07:13 AM

I thought VEs don't have UDP. Isn't UDP only on VGs?
Old 01-18-2002, 11:09 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by sTAE
I thought VEs don't have UDP. Isn't UDP only on VGs?
nope...ASP Racing makes it! http://www.aspracing.com/frame.htm
Old 01-18-2002, 11:19 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Port and Polish ... how much does it help?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Aaron92SE
[B]

I live in Snow Hill, which is in the middle of Greenville, Kinston, Goldsboro, and Wilson. I grew up in this area. This weekend (weather permitting), I am going to the Kinston Drag Strip. They are a 1/4 mile drag strip and OPEN. I called just to make sure and I can get in a TnT this Saturday for $15. Since Kinston is at 47 feet elevation, I am FINALLY going to find out what my car is capable of running.
QUOTE]
Tell us what u run when you get the numbers
Old 01-18-2002, 12:26 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally posted by SEguy182
Tell us what u run when you get the numbers
Okay, I will post it in the 1/4 mile times sticky. They are forcasting rain for tomorrow, so I don't know if I will be able to run my car. But, if it's open, I will definitely go. I can't wait.
Old 01-18-2002, 12:43 PM

Re: Re: Re: ve are that slow

nope...ASP Racing makes it! http://www.aspracing.com/frame.htm
cooool. Any VE drivers with this installed? I haven't noticed too many ..How much of an improvement? The website says 9hp...for a $120...I think it's worth it.
Old 01-18-2002, 01:01 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: ve are that slow

Originally posted by sTAE

cooool. Any VE drivers with this installed? I haven't noticed too many ..How much of an improvement? The website says 9hp...for a $120...I think it's worth it.
Yes, there are more VE ASP UDP users out there. As for the results, it's worth it to me b/c I gained in low-end power. Do a search for "UDP" or "pulley" and you will find a lot of VE UDP user's thoughts. I knocked off 2 full tenths off my 1/4 mile with it. I like it b/c you can tell a slightly noticable difference when coming out of the hole. And most importantly, your throttle response gets a lot better.