3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

2 year update - Maxima love

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2 year update - Maxima love

Not sure how many care but I figured I'd post an update on the 94 GXE I bought two years ago. It was initially purchased for my oldest son as his first car. The initial outlay was low from a purchase perspective, however, the final outlay to get it running right and fix all the problems wasn't. I can do some basic mechanical stuff and am trying to learn more but the main stuff goes to a mechanic friend.

The list of things we had to do: new tires, front brakes, struts all the way around, water pump, timing belt, spark plugs, fuel filter, maf sensor, #1 fuel injector and front and rear main seals and new aftermarket headlamps. My son bought a stereo in it and promptly blew the back speakers so I need to still replace those.

Things I need to still do:
  • figure out the non-working remote trunk switch. It clunks but the trunk doesn't release.
  • get the hood repaired (small dents with rust and oxidized paint) and repainted and put in new hood struts
  • Change out the trunk lock or at least figure out how to get the broken key out of it
  • Investigate stiffening up the car from a handling perspective. Lowering is definitely an option except that we can get some significant snow in the winter so I'm not sure how low I'd want to go with it.
The car has 158,000 miles on it and shines up nicely even with the poor repaint on the passenger side. It looks good from 10 feet away.

The real reason I wanted to post is to say I'm actually happy my kid bought a different car and my oldest daughter doesn't like the Maxima because it means I get to drive it. I have a company car - 2012 Subaru Forester and, frankly, I enjoy driving my 19 yo Nissan more than the Subaru. Sure the Subie has ground clearance and awd but it's loud and "tinny" sounding. The Maxima by comparison is quieter, smoother and much more fun to drive.

I'm sure nobody here is surprised by my love for the car but I thought I'd post anyway. I've always liked Maxima's and would easily entertain another one.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:35 PM

Nice Man, Keep it up on the Maintenance and keep her rolling Smooth...
Old 08-21-2013, 03:17 AM

PM sent about your trunk problem.

GXE's have softer springs, swapping to SE springs would be an improvement, but you've already replaced all of the struts so it probably wouldn't be worth doing now. It wouldn't hurt to keep it as stock as possible for your son anyway, that way he won't be tempted to drive it like it's a race car. Been there, crashed that.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm blushing

Originally Posted by Hectic
PM sent about your trunk problem.

GXE's have softer springs, swapping to SE springs would be an improvement, but you've already replaced all of the struts so it probably wouldn't be worth doing now. It wouldn't hurt to keep it as stock as possible for your son anyway, that way he won't be tempted to drive it like it's a race car. Been there, crashed that.
Thanks for the info on the springs. I do have another boy who may want to use this car in a year - and he's the one I could have issues with from an accident side of things - so your point about leaving it stock is a good one.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by gitanesteel

She' a clean looking black Max...rare finding a black 3rdgen w/decent paint. Most kids today won't go 4 a stock 3rdgen Max but I bet if you deck her out ur son/daughter will change there opinions about her. Now you can start putting in that wrench time...enjoy!!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
She' a clean looking black Max...rare finding a black 3rdgen w/decent paint. Most kids today won't go 4 a stock 3rdgen Max but I bet if you deck her out ur son/daughter will change there opinions about her. Now you can start putting in that wrench time...enjoy!!
Thanks - surprisingly it's probably the picture angle. The car is actually dark green but can look more black at a distance. My 14 1/2 yo actually likes the car and I'm trying to talk him into using it vs. buying an older classic that he wants because he'll have fewer issues with this and it will drive nicer.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM

Thanks - surprisingly it's probably the picture angle. The car is actually dark green but can look more black at a distance. My 14 1/2 yo actually likes the car and I'm trying to talk him into using it vs. buying an older classic that he wants because he'll have fewer issues with this and it will drive nicer.
An even more rare color...I remember that dark green Max looking almost black in person back in the day. Nice wheels(rims/tires), ground effect kit w/spoiler and a decent catback brings the 3rdgen a long way back into the present. I get comments quite often from people who know what year Max she is and the automotive illiterate have no idea what kind of car she is until I tell or they see the trunk center reflector(got to mod that reflector).
Old 08-23-2013, 04:10 AM

That's how my Max looked when I first got it back in '99. The color is actually called Black Emerald. You pretty much fixed most of the maintanence side of it so it will last you another while longer. Try not to mod it as I had a misfortune doing so when I thought it was a race car and so I learned my lesson. Fortunately she got fixed so now I take real good care of her especially now that i just dumped more money into it for body and paint. Other than that; good find and keep it up.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Nice, I have eibach springs. They do fine during the winter, I live in central Washington. I have had a set of intrax before, they were too low" drop. I would high center in the turn lane at traffic lights. Havent had that problem with my eibachs. Made through Montana(Polson gets snow 8 months) weather with them too.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 AM

I get what you mean about the joy of driving it. I drive a 92 SE to work 5 to 6 days a week, and on the weekends my family and I roll around in either my f150 or my wife's 08 accord ex. The accord handles well, but it is so loud I told my wife I don't know how she can stand it. Plus nothing beats the interior build quality of a 3rd gen. Both cars have black leather, but with almost 20 years difference, the Nissan still has nicer seats.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by doubleclutch92
Nice, I have eibach springs. They do fine during the winter, I live in central Washington. I have had a set of intrax before, they were too low" drop. I would high center in the turn lane at traffic lights. Havent had that problem with my eibachs. Made through Montana(Polson gets snow 8 months) weather with them too.
Eibach's are what I was thinking if I do it at all - thinking no more than an inch. What's available from a sway bar or tower brace perspective. My next boy says he wants to drive it through high school.

Where in central Washington - we're in E'burg.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:20 AM

Heyyy, more WA residents. Down in the 'couve here!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:05 PM

Eibach's are what I was thinking if I do it at all - thinking no more than an inch. What's available from a sway bar or tower brace perspective. My next boy says he wants to drive it through high school.

Where in central Washington - we're in E'burg.
You can get one (if they still make them) from Suspension Techniques and tower brace i think you can get one from the 4th or 5th gen maxima. There are a bunch of them i believe on ebay but not sure if there is a specific brand that you care for. You can also check out blehmco.com and see what else you can get from there.