3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

When I start my car engine starts missing

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:10 AM

When I start my car engine starts missing

A few days ago, I started my car and it began missing. Following my car dying, I tried to start it again, and it wouldn't A few hours later, I started my car to find that it was still missing (chugging sound), and as it did earlier, the engine dyed a few minutes later. Thought that I had bad gas, so I drained the tank, put in fresh gas, and changed out the fuel filter.

Still having the same problems.

While I was changing out the fuel filter, I discovered a hose that was not connected.

Two more views.

Last edited by brycea; 08-23-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:03 AM

Not saying you should search , but it might be helpful to look up a bunch of different scenarios on this particular issue because it's very common and there's a ton of threads around on these issues.

But from what you've said so far, more info is needed, otherwise it's just a needle in a haystack approach. Why did you replace your gas, or fuel filter? Those things would never make your car stall like that, especially after running for 4 min and then dying. Don't throw money away on buying parts that MIGHT be the prime suspect for this, just to see if it helps and it doesn't, then it's just a waste of money and you still are just pointing into the sky when it comes to diagnosis. Fuel issues are much less common in this case as well, so if anything I'd start by looking elsewhere.

The way you described it, sounds to me like this has to do with engine temps. Something is crapping out on you when the engine gets hot, and then you have to wait a few hours before it will start again. First question would be does it start perfectly when cold? And does this only happen when it gets hot?
From the info you provided, that's about all I can gather at this point. Most likely culprits in this case are usually found in/around the throttle body, MAF, IACV, etc..Or it can be your coolant temp sensor. Another thing is, many times when heat is involved in such a way, the issue will be electrical IE. sticking solenoid, short somewhere causing valve to stick open, etc, etc...

Provide us some more info, with specific details as much as possible on exactly how the problem occurs and I think we can help much better after that. I've personally dealt with similar problem, as have many others but it's never the same on any two different cars, one might have bad MAF other may have bad CPS or whatever, never know so as much info as possible is needed. I've even seen something as simple and ridiculous as bad grounding cause these issues on the older Maximas, which is crazy but true so you really never know. And BTW how are your coils/plugs since you mentioned "missing" in the topic? And finally, is there an SES light on? any codes? did you try pulling any codes? Give us all that good info
Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by brycea
Will run for about three to four minutes and die. It will not start again until I wait for a few hours. I have replaced the gas in my gas tank and installed a new fuel filter, still have the same problem. I don't have a clue what could be causing this problem, would appreciate your help.
Is this what happens all the time or just a couple of times? What have you tested if anything? Doesn't sound like you have too much automotive experience and will probably need a professional. It doesn't sound like a compression issue since it starts and runs for a little while. So it's probably a spark and/or air-fuel ratio problem. You'll need to find out what your ECU has recorded if anything since this is what controls your spark/fuel. Checking your ECU for codes is where you should start, if you don't know how to do that then you either need to search here or google the process and/or buy a FSM(factory service manual) for your Maxima. Regardless of finding info on this site or the web, I'd suggest copping the Service Manual so you always have a hard copy. The FSM contains an abundance of information pertaining to the 3rdgen Maxima.

Last edited by shiloh51933; 08-23-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:29 AM

I have revised my original post as you had recommended. Appreciate your help.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:53 AM

I have revised my original post and added photos. Tell me what you think.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by brycea
I have revised my original post as you had recommended. Appreciate your help.
That hose looks like it's the one that goes to your FPR(fuel pressure regulator) or it;s the tranny vent hose, if the hose is the FPR hose and still is usable re-connect to fuel pressure regulator. The FPR should be right there near where you found hoseon the fuel rail. The FPR is 22670M...I'm not 100% from looking at pics but the FPR vacuum hose has a bend similar to your pic. Regardless you should check all of your vacuum hoses out and try to check for codes in your ECU.

Last edited by shiloh51933; 08-23-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 AM

Thank you so much for you fast reply, the diagram and your interest in the matter. I'll be out to my car soon and see if I can fix it. Will also post the results in this forum