3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My poor Maxima!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:38 AM

My poor Maxima!!

Name:  PoorMaxima_zps256805b6.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  69.2 KB

About a month ago someone pulls her mini van out in front of me, totally ignoring my right of way while making an illegal left hand turn over a median. This happened on Mainstreet in the middle of town during morning rush and it had just started to rain(roads 10 mins. wet). I was driving maybe 30mph with new tires, new front pads/rotors and new rear brakes drum shoes. Unfortunately they only made the SE model with 4W disc bakes/ABS...I believe 4WDB's would have made the difference in this situation as she locked up due to road conditions. Anyway, they other drivers insurance company picked up my claim against there client but refused to admit that there client was 100% responsible for the accident and only wanted to pay 80%. The police officer even wrote the other driver tickets and stated that she caused the accident but you know how insurance companies work!! So they obviously totaled out the value of my Max($2000.00) and I ended up just taking there offer of 80% after trying to argue the facts. It wasn't worth the time or effort of taking the claim to court for a few more hundred dollars. She drives straight, the frame looks good, the cosmetic damage is the worst of it except for the loss of the L/F clear euro headlight lens. I was getting ready to retro some Morimotos inside these lenses but I guess the hunt is on!!

Last edited by DanNY; 10-29-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:29 AM

Are you going to fix it or buy something new? Sorry about getting your car hit!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by tosheto
Are you going to fix it or buy something new? Sorry about getting your car hit!
I'm going to fix her...only thing is finding another clear lens for L/F.
Old 10-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

there might be some bending in the radiator support...check that when you put it back together.
glad to hear you're going to keep her on the road. sucks for companies like that to total out your car. at least it's still drivable.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:58 AM

doesnt look too bad, hopefully the rad support is okay as said

just a heads up not only SE model had 4 wheel discs, i know Canadian spec GXE and SE almost always have 4 wheel discs. ive seen one 3rd gen here with rear drums and i think it was a US car. US i think GXE with ABS have disc.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:23 AM

That's worse than mine was, but basically the same thing. Tell you what though, it took me several years to get it looking proper again with matching body parts. I went though two sets of front ends, luckily was able to return the first set to the junkyard after buying the second using the receipt from the second. Probably against the rules, but I bought both sets from the same yard, so I don't see anything wrong with it. This was when they allowed returns for cash. I think I did the same thing with the doors after I got hit. Originally bought super white and found pearl ones not much longer, so returned the whites with the pearl receipt.

Last edited by Hectic; 10-27-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 AM

I actually found a '93 VE/SE with black(new paint) on black(leather) and white 145mph cluster. Only bad thing is an a/t but well taken care of with documents. $1500.00 is his final price though...it has 170,000 miles on the odo but he's maintained her properly with a recent timing belt replacement. What do you guys think? Should I get the VE or just fix my VG? I really need the better(4WDB's) braking system and I always wanted the 3rdgen in black. I'll lose the digi dash/HUD/active struts but gain white face 145mph gauges and black leather.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by shiloh51933
I actually found a '93 VE/SE with black(new paint) on black(leather) and white 145mph cluster. Only bad thing is an a/t but well taken care of with documents. $1500.00 is his final price though...it has 170,000 miles on the odo but he's maintained her properly with a recent timing belt replacement. What do you guys think? Should I get the VE or just fix my VG? I really need the better(4WDB's) braking system and I always wanted the 3rdgen in black. I'll lose the digi dash/HUD/active struts but gain white face 145mph gauges and black leather.
ummm no timing belt on the VEs...so what recent work was really done on it?

for 1500 and a clean body...go for it.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:12 PM

yeah VE have chain, i would ask to see the receipt for the work. 170,000 miles the timing chain was most likely not making noises
Old 10-29-2013, 04:44 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Dude Shiloh this is about the third or fourth post of yours I've seen in which you throw out racist language. Can't believe you just used that as if it's normal and acceptable
Old 10-29-2013, 11:48 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by James92SE
Dude Shiloh this is about the third or fourth post of yours I've seen in which you throw out racist language. Can't believe you just used that as if it's normal and acceptable
holy cow...james sorry that i missed that.

shiloh i edited your post.
please no more use of that word.
thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 12:09 AM

Guys come on, the lady that hit him was going home from a water balloon fight, people kept throwing them at her from behind is all.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
ummm no timing belt on the VEs...so what recent work was really done on it?

for 1500 and a clean body...go for it.
That was typo on my part...I'm so use to saying timing belt for my VG, he has receipts for all parts replaced including timing chain.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:46 AM

Was calling people w3tb@ck$ a typ0? Not that I care, I Norwegian.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:48 AM

On second thought, I'm American.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
What's racist? should i have said "illegal alien" or is that racist too? Stating that somebodies back is wet means they just got off the boat...there is no mention of what race this person was. Only reason I got paid was the owner of car was insured but driver couldn't speak American English...so I called her a person who's back was wet. It sounds like people assumed I was speaking of a race of people that are overwhelmingly in my country illegally(either Asian or Hispanic). I don't remember writing anything mentioning any particular race though, I didn't think that calling an "illegal alien" what they are as a racial or racist statement as no race was ever mentioned. When have I ever used racist language on here? I apologize if I offended any illegal aliens on this site, because I don't care what race you are but I don't think it's okay for immigrants to come here(America) illegally to take money/jobs/medical care/food stamps/commit crimes violent/non violent in my country. James92SE, your the best brother and if you felt like the term I've used was offensive to you I apologize to you but I hope you can(and others) understand where I'm coming from. I love this site and if you think that term is bad for or will cause Maxima.org any distress I'll refrain from writing it here. I was upset when got into the accident with my baby(Maxima) that I've been working on for years and she has never let me down. The other driver didn't know the rules of the road and shouldn't have been driving illegally. This person should have never been behind the wheel of that car to endanger my life and mess up my car. I mean she destroyed a L/F Euro Clear Headlight lens, that's like a sin man!! I'm really most upset about the almost irreplaceable euro clear headlight lens... I was getting ready to retrofit those bad boys!!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

That was typo on my part...I'm so use to saying timing belt for my VG, he has receipts for all parts replaced including timing chain.
ahhh ok...i was like bro he's blowing smoke.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

What's racist? should i have said "illegal alien" or is that racist too? Stating that somebodies back is wet means they just got off the boat...there is no mention of what race this person was. Only reason I got paid was the owner of car was insured but driver couldn't speak American English...so I called her a person who's back was wet. It sounds like people assumed I was speaking of a race of people that are overwhelmingly in my country illegally(either Asian or Hispanic). I don't remember writing anything mentioning any particular race though, I didn't think that calling an "illegal alien" what they are as a racial or racist statement as no race was ever mentioned. When have I ever used racist language on here? I apologize if I offended any illegal aliens on this site, because I don't care what race you are but I don't think it's okay for immigrants to come here(America) illegally to take money/jobs/medical care/food stamps/commit crimes violent/non violent in my country. James92SE, your the best brother and if you felt like the term I've used was offensive to you I apologize to you but I hope you can(and others) understand where I'm coming from. I love this site and if you think that term is bad for or will cause Maxima.org any distress I'll refrain from writing it here. I was upset when got into the accident with my baby(Maxima) that I've been working on for years and she has never let me down. The other driver didn't know the rules of the road and shouldn't have been driving illegally. This person should have never been behind the wheel of that car to endanger my life and mess up my car. I mean she destroyed a L/F Euro Clear Headlight lens, that's like a sin man!! I'm really most upset about the almost irreplaceable euro clear headlight lens... I was getting ready to retrofit those bad boys!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetback_%28slur%29

just because the person doesn't speak the language doesn't mean they are illegal. i'm not going to go on an tangent with this but unless you know for a fact the immigration status of the person that hit you, you're just making a generalization.

it does appear the word is a derogatory term.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:10 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

That word is basically the "N" word for Hispanics. Surely you know that? It's not a benign term by any stretch. You've used the same term in another thread too

Dude I live in Dallas, trust me I am well aware of being overrun with illegal immigration, I would venture to say much more so than up there. But still - I would never call the Hispanics here the "W" word just as I would never call the blacks here the "N" word and especially not so casually publicly like you have.

I'm not saying you're racist per se, but obviously derogatory racial terms don't belong on the forums
Old 10-30-2013, 11:57 PM

Lol at trying to justify using racist terminology, by saying it can technically be used towards any race due to its literal meaning.

I'll give you all the money in my bank account if she actually was Asian. It's a term for Mexicans, plain and simple.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 AM

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm from New York, born/raised in Queens...there are plenty of terms/words I could have used to describe Hispanic,Asian,Black,German, Irish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Jewish, Middle Eastern, etc. . I know she was illegal, like I said in my post...the owner of her car was insured and she got tickets/summons. I found out from the local PD and my brother(cop) that there was ICE involvement. My daughter is half PuertoRican and I'm of interracial background but who cares anyway. I would not describe the term I used in any comparison to using your "N" word towards blacks but if that is what James interprets the word to be then so be it. I think it's funny how the racial term "Ricer" never get's this much attention since it's directly aimed at Asian people and the cars they manufacture. So maybe the term is derogatory but it's not a racist word like your "N" word or "S" word or "K" work...I'm sure most of u can figure out what the "S" and "K" stand for as I won't write them because these words are racist. All in all I think it's great how we were able to discuss this topic in a peaceful and adult manner. Dan NY, we'll keep that term out of this forum.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:58 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'm from New York, born/raised in Queens...there are plenty of terms/words I could have used to describe Hispanic,Asian,Black,German, Irish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Jewish, Middle Eastern, etc. . I know she was illegal, like I said in my post...the owner of her car was insured and she got tickets/summons. I found out from the local PD and my brother(cop) that there was ICE involvement. My daughter is half PuertoRican and I'm of interracial background but who cares anyway. I would not describe the term I used in any comparison to using your "N" word towards blacks but if that is what James interprets the word to be then so be it. I think it's funny how the racial term "Ricer" never get's this much attention since it's directly aimed at Asian people and the cars they manufacture. So maybe the term is derogatory but it's not a racist word like your "N" word or "S" word or "K" work...I'm sure most of u can figure out what the "S" and "K" stand for as I won't write them because these words are racist. All in all I think it's great how we were able to discuss this topic in a peaceful and adult manner. Dan NY, we'll keep that term out of this forum.
thanks...i appreciate it. just want everyone to come here and not feel offended or uncomfortable with what's posted.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:46 PM
Way out West

You might want to look over the receipt carefully. There are 3 timing chains and the labor + parts at a shop would exceed the value of most 3rd gens. It should be probably $1500 to $2k for that job and they should have replaced or rebuilt the VTCs at the same time.

If you can get a decent VE with new/rebuilt VTCs and new timing chains, guides tensionsers for $1500, I would probably jump on that.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:07 AM

I'm all for a little stricter immigration control, but this is the US, supposedly the land of opportunity. Virtually everyone here is a 2nd or 3rd generation American from another country. Imagine how the Native Americans feel seeing all of these people take over what should be their land. Doesn't really matter who is here, and who isn't IMO. Illegals don't really have much to choose from in the job market, if they want to do some landscaping or sell tacos to car enthusiasts outside of Pick 'n Pull, what's it matter to Joe 1040 EZ? My experience with suspected illegals is that they are extremely respectful, make damn good food and work hard as hell.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
You might want to look over the receipt carefully. There are 3 timing chains and the labor + parts at a shop would exceed the value of most 3rd gens. It should be probably $1500 to $2k for that job and they should have replaced or rebuilt the VTCs at the same time.

If you can get a decent VE with new/rebuilt VTCs and new timing chains, guides tensionsers for $1500, I would probably jump on that.
The owner is an A Mechanic with 20 years in the field and presently a professionally in the field. Thing is I just bought another '99Lude with a 5speed(other '99 is A/T w/sport shifter) and I'm having a hard time letting go of my baby girl. With that said, I'm really feeling this VE...Black(paint is like 2 years old) with black leather, white face 145mph gauge cluster, factory SE, etc. It's what I always wanted except it's still a/t and that alone would have motivated me into immediate purchase. I didn't her any clacking but I believe you can ground them out and listen for change in motor sound. Anything else I should be looking at besides obvious areas?
Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
Lol at trying to justify using racist terminology, by saying it can technically be used towards any race due to its literal meaning.

I'll give you all the money in my bank account if she actually was Asian. It's a term for Mexicans, plain and simple.
Lol. Thanks for the humor brother...never said she was of Asian descent or South American descent though. I was simple stating the facts, Asian immigrants are presently the #1 offenders of illegal migration into America and South American immigrants are #2 right now. Calling somebody an illegal alien/immigrant is a means to describe an immigrant who is unauthorized to be in our country of America. I understand that the term I used is widely used for illegal Hispanic immigrants but that's because they make up the majority of these unauthorized/illegal aliens/immigrants or whatever you want to call them. The "S" word is a racist word used for Hispanics. Like I told Dan NY, I'll never use the term/word I used again...it's obvious the interpretation of that term varies and I wouldn't want to offend any member of Maxima.org intentionally.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

guys...let's move past the USCIS talks...ok?
Thanks!
Old 11-06-2013, 06:58 PM

I would keep the gxe (have insurance deduct the scrap value), put some money on top of the insurance check and buy the se. You can then take time repairing your gxe and still own your dream car (se). Best of both worlds
Old 11-06-2013, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by dj tes
I would keep the gxe (have insurance deduct the scrap value), put some money on top of the insurance check and buy the se. You can then take time repairing your gxe and still own your dream car (se). Best of both worlds
Can you please credit my pictures on your car domain page? I don't really care if you keep them up. But at least credit the pics. I don't maintain a cardomain, you can just specify my screen name or something.

Glad I've kept everything since '06 under wraps. Changed things multiple times, it'd suck to have old or unfinished pics out there.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Way out West

The owner is an A Mechanic with 20 years in the field and presently a professionally in the field. Thing is I just bought another '99Lude with a 5speed(other '99 is A/T w/sport shifter) and I'm having a hard time letting go of my baby girl. With that said, I'm really feeling this VE...Black(paint is like 2 years old) with black leather, white face 145mph gauge cluster, factory SE, etc. It's what I always wanted except it's still a/t and that alone would have motivated me into immediate purchase. I didn't her any clacking but I believe you can ground them out and listen for change in motor sound. Anything else I should be looking at besides obvious areas?
All I meant was to check to see what was done. There should be no reason to replace the chains, but maybe just the VTCs. There are even Nissan mechanics working at dealerships that don't know much about these engines. They are completely different than most other engines.

VTCs really aren't that big of a deal. Maybe a little annoying, but there are very, very few people that have had serious problems due to clacking VTCs.

If the engine seems good to go, I guess you should look for rust (since you are on the east coast) and things that get worn and need to be replaced like struts, tires, exhaust, etc. The usual stuff.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
All I meant was to check to see what was done. There should be no reason to replace the chains, but maybe just the VTCs. There are even Nissan mechanics working at dealerships that don't know much about these engines. They are completely different than most other engines.

VTCs really aren't that big of a deal. Maybe a little annoying, but there are very, very few people that have had serious problems due to clacking VTCs.

If the engine seems good to go, I guess you should look for rust (since you are on the east coast) and things that get worn and need to be replaced like struts, tires, exhaust, etc. The usual stuff.
I hear yah...I'm just going off what he claimed and he had receipts for 85% that was said done. I can afford to actually buy this SE but I just copped another '99 Lude and have 4 cars in my driveway right now, so buying another Max just won't fly with the wife. It's not selling and will probably still be there in a month since it's been on the market 4 over a month already. It's well worth close to the asking price but when compared to other asking prices of same vehicle it's double the price. People just aren't looking to buy a 3rdgen Max but those who know like the members here. Just going to fix up my baby and call it a day.