3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Dyno'd my turbo VE today

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 09:52 AM

Ya I can take a look at it. I run gap of .25-28 of course I'm on more boost
Old 11-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by James92SE
Honestly I've only done two highway pulls. I've had no traction issues at highway speeds that I've noticed so far. Of course you were/are putting down substantially more power than me I assume.

I've done one highway pull since that first drive home and got a lot of spark blowout or something. It felt like it hit a brick wall up in the higher RPM range, can't remember exactly but want to say about 5k or so. It felt a lot like fuel cut, I mean it was that drastic.

A couple more street pulls since then and have gotten a few more internittent spark blowout issues. One instance on back to back run all the way through first it was fine, then once shifting into second it had the brick wall type sensation at about 4800 RPM or so. Next run it was fine except for a little bit of hesitation up near 6k in 3rd.

At least I'm hoping this is all just spark blowout. I've never personally experienced spark blowout previously but mentioning these symptoms to friends that is everyone's first reaction and it seems to fit some descriptions of it I've read online. I already gapped down to .035 on the plugs so maybe I'll go a little lower and see. Problem is it seems to be pretty intermittent so it may be hard to pin down a cure.

I noticed the tuner left the 02 feedback temp all the way up. Do I need to turn that back down? I'm not sure of some of the stuff he's done. Would you be willing to look at my .BIN file if I email it to you and see if anything jumps out at you?
i thought during tuning you turn the o2 feedback off...i wonder why he turned it up.

get some copper plugs in there james...that might help.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Get Off My Lawn

It's interesting you say you're not having traction issues. I'm just running a T3 at 8-10lbs - albeit on a fully built VG, and on low profile and wide 17's, that has been my greatest struggle is getting the power to the ground. I have to really watch. I would just imagine your VE is going to put down more power than mine, especially given mine is untuned.

Yeah, I'm untuned.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:49 AM

I think once he sorts or his issues he Will. Also depends how power comes on. My biggest issue I spool so fast get full boost by 4k. James send me your tune with single datalogs ill take a look
Old 11-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Certainly, should have made that more clear. I had already posted my thoughts he should be making more power and all.

Yeah, I start spooling up around 2k rpm and full boost around 3k as I recall. Need a bigger turbo naturally cause I die off at the top end.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:52 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by DanNY
i thought during tuning you turn the o2 feedback off...i wonder why he turned it up.

get some copper plugs in there james...that might help.
You're supposed to disable 02 feedback during tuning, yes. The manual says to use the "flags" tickbox in the fuel map and then toggle them on/off to disable the 02. Of course, given Nistune's propensity to describe something in the manual that doesn't necessarily exist in the real application, I have no "flags" tickbox.

It briefly gives several other methods to achieve the same result with turning the 02 feedback temp all the way up, and that's what my tuner went with. I believe the only other option would be to unplug the 02 sensor entirely as the fourth option is to untick the 02 senor in the feedback switch, but alas the feedback switch does not exist for me in Nistune. I now wonder what impact it will have (if any) if I turn the temp back down to the stock 50 degrees.

I did swap to copper plugs the day after the tune. I went with two step colder copper plugs gapped to .035

But again I'm not entirely certain my symptoms are spark blowout as I have no reference, though I'm certainly hoping that's all it is

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
It's interesting you say you're not having traction issues. I'm just running a T3 at 8-10lbs - albeit on a fully built VG, and on low profile and wide 17's, that has been my greatest struggle is getting the power to the ground. I have to really watch. I would just imagine your VE is going to put down more power than mine, especially given mine is untuned.

Yeah, I'm untuned.
Well I only don't have traction issues at highway speeds. When I say "highway run" I mean like a downshift to 3rd at 75 mph or so. Then again I don't downshift very hard or bang through the gears. On street pulls I certainly get a lot of wheelspin though

Originally Posted by akurtzer57
I think once he sorts or his issues he Will. Also depends how power comes on. My biggest issue I spool so fast get full boost by 4k. James send me your tune with single datalogs ill take a look
What's your e-mail address? You can PM me if you don't want to post it here. You might have given it to me before in a PM but I can't seem to find it now

What fields are best for a datalog? It looks like I can select 4 fields
Old 11-26-2013, 05:00 PM

Ajkurtzer124@hotmail.com you don't have to select 4 can change to whatever when viewing. Ecu records every one
Old 11-27-2013, 11:46 AM
No turbo, no care!

Akurtzer57 and Chris Gregg, are you guys both using VG transmissions? I'm thinking the LSD in the VE trans is making the difference for James and for myself. I've never run anything super sticky or wider than 225 and I have virtually no traction issues at speeds above 50 maybe. My tires will squeal a little bit, but nothing that seems to make a major difference in acceleration. Although I have mostly babied my trans since the turbo, I don't down shift with the revs real high and drop the clutch like I might have when I was NA. I also don't speed shift or bang into gears, I really want my transmission to last as long as possible since I spent a fair amount obtaining and rebuilding it. I also don't have a spare so if I grenade it I could be down for a while until I found a replacement.
Chris when you say you are untuned, are you running the stock ECU? Do you just have larger injectors and a Z32 MAF, or a FMU? How well does it run?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:10 PM

Vg or ve trans I have major issues. I'm 90% sure I'm over 500 to wheels
Old 11-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I'm running VE LSD tranny swapped. I have banged on the tranny, but I would say little to no traction issues at 55-60mph and up. I've had it feel a bit like she was trying to break loose downshifting hard at about those speeds, but controlable.

Naw, when I say untuned I just mean no dyno or professional tune. AND the fact I'm an idiot in regards to tuning. I've just used my mechanics gut to get her daily driving and not boosting over 10psi. I'm running an stock ecu with chip removed and using an emulator system (Romulator). I installed a tune, LOL, I want to say I had got from Maxpower or someone WAY back in the day. Just tweaked it a little and made some other mechanical adjustments in timing and fuel pressure.

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 11-27-2013 at 01:23 PM.