3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My interior swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 04:08 PM

My interior swap

Well it's about time to get going on the interior swap. Since I towed the 91 parts car home from Nashville last Saturday, I have been able to pick at the interior a little bit and have a few things removed.

I have all of the seats out, door panels removed, console, lower dash panels, all seat belts and carpet are out. There are a few upper trim pieces left to go and I am going to leave the dash in for now. I put the driver seat back in temporarily so I can move the car around, I will remove the dash later on.

I am going to use everything I can from the parts car on the Digimax during the interior swap. The black carpet is in great shape as are the seats but all of it will need to be thoroughly cleaned and I think using a pressure washer would be best in this case.

I might install the clutch pedal assembly while the dash is out of the car as it would make things a lot easier when I swap out the engine/trans from the donor car.

Right now I have not decided on going with the manual 5 speed or if I should use the recently rebuilt auto trans from the parts car for awhile but either way I want the clutch pedal assembly in place.

Some pics here.......http://s64.photobucket.com/user/82je...tml?sort=3&o=0
Attached Thumbnails My interior swap-100_2691.jpg  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:08 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

You should install the clutch master cylinder too while you've got it all apart
Old 03-13-2014, 08:52 AM

Good job! Going all out I see. Good time to do a good detailing. I've had quite a bit of body work done on my 92 and now always park it over the winters. I have yet to get the seats and carpet out of mine and do some interior work. I still have to get some repairs done behind the back seat and inner rear wheel wells. I found since our 3rd gens don't have the plastic in the wells like the front im having to confront some holes and rust from the salt and bad winters it was once put through before I got it. Otherwise the rest of the car is pretty solid and clean. Im thinking having some new metal welded in and some por 15 over that then when everything is patched and solid have it sprayed over with a good truck bed liner so I don't have to worry about any water finding it's way in. I don't understand why Nissan cheaped out and put the plastic liners in the front wheel wells but not the rears
Old 03-13-2014, 04:57 PM

You wouldn't happen to have a spare sunroof glass?
Old 03-13-2014, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
You should install the clutch master cylinder too while you've got it all apart
I believe that is what I will do, install the pedal assembly and clutch master cylinder and maybe the lines too.
Originally Posted by ac max 92
Good job! Going all out I see. Good time to do a good detailing. I've had quite a bit of body work done on my 92 and now always park it over the winters. I have yet to get the seats and carpet out of mine and do some interior work. I still have to get some repairs done behind the back seat and inner rear wheel wells. I found since our 3rd gens don't have the plastic in the wells like the front im having to confront some holes and rust from the salt and bad winters it was once put through before I got it. Otherwise the rest of the car is pretty solid and clean. Im thinking having some new metal welded in and some por 15 over that then when everything is patched and solid have it sprayed over with a good truck bed liner so I don't have to worry about any water finding it's way in. I don't understand why Nissan cheaped out and put the plastic liners in the front wheel wells but not the rears
Thanks! yeah I am going to clean every trim part I can and I might even reupholster some of the side trim panels since I know how to do that from another project.
Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
You wouldn't happen to have a spare sunroof glass?
Sorry, I do not have a spare sunroof glass panel as my parts car did not have a sunroof at all. However, there are 2 3rd gens at our local pick a part that do have sunroofs. I believe the 89 GXE has a good one but I know for sure the sunroof glass in the 93 SE is cracked as I have picked parts from both of them.

I just checked their inventory list and they still have both of them in the yard. If you want, I can go out there Saturday and pull the sunroof glass out of the 89 pending it is still there and undamaged. Even though I have never pulled one out I'm sure it can't be that hard to do unless the entire sunroof cartridge has to come out.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:37 PM

It's been just over 4 months since I've posted any progress on the interior swap from my parts car.

It is now complete with the exception of the dash pad and the back seat that's still burgundy. I found a 94 SE at the pull a part that had nicer black carpet than what I had so I used it instead.
I also used the center console from the 94 as well. I had to repair a few things along the way but it's all good now.
Everything works now except the sonar suspension and AC.

I will repair the AC system after I transplant the engine/trans from the parts car. The parts car had ice cold AC before I removed the engine.
As for the sonar suspension, I believe the fault is with the electronic shocks. The best solution here would be to replace everything with regular shocks/struts from the 91 parts car before I haul it to the junk yard.

Since April I have racked up just over 5,000 miles on the digimax and that's with a failing transmission, hopefully it will hold up until fall.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:21 PM
Apple Pie Monster

you maka me want a 3rd gen again Grumpy!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2014, 04:55 PM

Nice work. I have a 92 SE with the black on black leather interior...it was fun at first, but here in south Florida, it's torture to get into at noon. Im looking to change the interior color. Maybe burgundy or tan. What condition is your burgundy dash in? Any pics? I may wanna take it off your hands if its in good condition.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by badazzsupamax
Nice work. I have a 92 SE with the black on black leather interior...it was fun at first, but here in south Florida, it's torture to get into at noon. Im looking to change the interior color. Maybe burgundy or tan. What condition is your burgundy dash in? Any pics? I may wanna take it off your hands if its in good condition.
The burgundy dash had been swapped out before I got the car and it was all cracked up from what I understand. The only Burgundy parts I have left are the rear door panels that are sun baked. I do have a very nice back seat that is Burgundy but its cloth with a center console. The rest of the Burgundy interior has been long gone.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:07 AM

Oh ok, no worries. I knew it would be a shot in the dark