3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 06:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've never had any probs with my timing belt. I bought my 94 Max GXE in 97 with 42K miles on it. I never noticed the belt or even knew that it had to be changed, because I thought that it had a timing chain.

My car recently rolled over 130K miles. A friend told me that I probably needed to check the belt. I took it to a mechanic and he said that it did not even look worn.

Questions:
1.) Should I get it changed anyway?
2.) Has anyone ever changed their belt on their own?
3.) How hard was it to do so?
4.) How much time and money?
5.) How much should a mechanic charge?

Old 11-12-2000, 07:39 PM

damn you put hella miles on that thing! im at a lil more miles then you and mines a 90! Anyways if youve never even had it changed once, i would, just because if it dicides to break one day, your basically screwed... thats just my opinion.
Old 11-12-2000, 08:00 PM

If mfg after 7/93 you should have the 100K belt - change recommended every 90K. Or worse, you have the 60K belt. Either way, this is an interference engine - belt goes, and blammo - engine likely goes bye bye.

If I were you, I'd be afraid to drive another mile. Change it now! IMHO
Old 11-13-2000, 06:06 AM

If the "mechanic" said the belt didn't look worn, he didn't look at the timing belt: you can't see it without doing some dissassembly. (He may have looked at the other external belts.)
Change it.
Old 11-13-2000, 06:37 AM

ya
you have to damn near pull out every component on that side, including the water pump to even get a glimps at it. I know from experience changing my water pump (btw that SUCKS!!!) ok back on topic. The timing belt is coverd with guess what, Timing Belt Covers, too keep coolant from getting on it, which is bad. If you plan on keeping your car for a long time. Change it. If you don't give a damn or you want to put in a new engine soon, then you can leave it. I changed my waterpump at 144k. And my timing belt was in good condition, but was a little loose. I'm now just over 147k and still hasn't been changed. I don't remember if it was changed by the owner that had it before me or not, i dont' think so because i remember the shop it was worked on saying they did some minor repairs on it, and replaced the ECU.
Old 11-13-2000, 08:23 AM

So before I owner my car the belt was changed in 98 I think, so does this mean it has the 100K belt or the 60k. it was changed at a certified nissan dealer. anyway to check? i have the invoice
Old 11-13-2000, 01:10 PM
89GXE

T-Belt

Replace the t-belt. Your 94 has a 100k t-belt it is
ready to be replaced. Also the cam seals are probably
leaking, have the water pump checked and the tensioner
you are already there when replacing the timing belt
so look into it. You need to replace it a new t-belt
is cheap compared to a new motor.

Old 11-13-2000, 11:02 PM

I bought my Max with 72000 mi. and changed the timing belt,water pump and tensioner at 84000mi and that breathed new life into my car, now it's more responsive and better on gas.
Old 11-16-2000, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Tick Tock
If mfg after 7/93 you should have the 100K belt - change recommended every 90K. Or worse, you have the 60K belt. Either way, this is an interference engine - belt goes, and blammo - engine likely goes bye bye.

If I were you, I'd be afraid to drive another mile. Change it now! IMHO
100K belt? The local dealer only stocks on belt, but doesn't know if it's a 100K or 60K belt. How do you tell the difference?

By the way, a friend bought a use Honda with 90K miles. Ran well until 110K mile. Bang went the timing belt and engine. He didn't know about changing the timing belt.

When changing the timing belt >100K miles, it's advisable to replace the water pump, oil and cam seals and a drain plug seal in that area, also the thermostat at >100K, ox senor and anything else in that area. My other belts looked new at 60K, but I had all new belts but in anyway. A leaking water pump run the belt with antifreeze. Pay now or later.

IMHO
Old 11-16-2000, 05:15 PM

maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to convert that timing system into the chain style? i dont know anything about it, but it would deffinitly be better.
Old 11-16-2000, 09:51 PM

Timing belt

you have the opportunity to change it, CHANGE the sucker!
I was retarded and never even thought of it, until I lost it in a busy intersection...I had to watch her be towed away, then wait a week chewing my nails wondering if I just blew my WHOLE engine...I guess there was an angel with my Max, cuz the engine turned out fine...dont go thru what I went thru...just take care of it!
1990 Wht Auto SE
Old 10-16-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaBella
you have the opportunity to change it, CHANGE the sucker!
I was retarded and never even thought of it, until I lost it in a busy intersection...I had to watch her be towed away, then wait a week chewing my nails wondering if I just blew my WHOLE engine...I guess there was an angel with my Max, cuz the engine turned out fine...dont go thru what I went thru...just take care of it!
1990 Wht Auto SE
You said it... I'm nervous to drive my max now and it's at around 170 miles (previous owner can't remember when it was changed last) ... but I'm going to change the belt, pump, and seals within the next few weeks; it'll hurt the wallet, but you've gotta dish it out sooner or later - better now than later.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:03 PM

So from what i am gathering here, i might be screwed with my engine.... im not 100% sure if my timing belt is gone, but my car will not start. my brother checked and he is sure timing is out, but what are the chances i have totally wrecked the engine? my car started saturday morning, ran for 10 seconds and died....if someone could maybe eve add me to messanger so ican talk to you a little more in depth it would be a great help!!! iciqueen@hotmail.com
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by iciqueen
So from what i am gathering here, i might be screwed with my engine.... im not 100% sure if my timing belt is gone, but my car will not start. my brother checked and he is sure timing is out, but what are the chances i have totally wrecked the engine? my car started saturday morning, ran for 10 seconds and died....if someone could maybe eve add me to messanger so ican talk to you a little more in depth it would be a great help!!! iciqueen@hotmail.com
Simple test,have your brother remove the distributor cap, then you crank the engine while he is watching the rotor underneath the cap, if the rotor doesn't spin while you are cranking the engine,you have a broken timing belt= A Wrecked Engine.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:23 PM

Wouldn't be easy to check the timing without the engine running.

Like Greeny said, pull the distributor cap, crank the engine and see if the rotor turns. If it turns.. smile.. if it doesn't.. cry!! Although if you have broken the belt, cranking the engine will sound quite strange.

If you haven't broken the belt... replace it NOW... it has been living on borrowed time for way too long already. It is a job you can do yourself if you are a reasonable competent home mechanic. But allow a fair bit of time as there is a bit of work involved. and as others have said, change the cam and crank seals while you are there.. and a water pump is also highly recommended as they all require the same amount of disassembly..
Old 01-28-2008, 07:55 PM

OK you guys have just made me cry.....*tears* we did take it off even before i posted and yes the rotor does turn, but not to the right spots he said...we were more concerned that i had major damage...so i will go forth then with the mechanic and get the belt changed.....whew ill keep yiou posted !! Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:03 AM
I miss my VE

Replace it, don't take a chance. This doesn't look worn either, just torn.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:17 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Replace it, don't take a chance. This doesn't look worn either, just torn.

looks very worn to me.
the shiny back side is a dead giveaway
Old 01-29-2008, 06:51 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by internetautomar
looks very worn to me.
the shiny back side is a dead giveaway
Thats not what people were sayin in my thread a few years back when it happened. Just look at the teeth.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:58 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Thats not what people were sayin in my thread a few years back when it happened. Just look at the teeth.
He's referring to the shiny look on the non-teeth side of the belt,this is a dead giveaway sign of a worn t-belt. The shiny surface is due to thousands of heat cycles taking it's toll on the rubber,once the rubber loses it's elasticity from heat damage,they will rip apart just like your belt did.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Greeny
He's referring to the shiny look on the non-teeth side of the belt,this is a dead giveaway sign of a worn t-belt. The shiny surface is due to thousands of heat cycles taking it's toll on the rubber,once the rubber loses it's elasticity from heat damage,they will rip apart just like your belt did.
Well that sucks..
Old 01-30-2008, 01:41 PM

what is the average cost for the timing belt replacemet with water pump, labor, etc ususally cost?
Old 01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by G3Karl
what is the average cost for the timing belt replacemet with water pump, labor, etc ususally cost?
where?
in redneckville kentucky it's about $150 + a 6pack of beer
in chicago it's about $500
Old 02-02-2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sith
ya
you have to damn near pull out every component on that side, including the water pump to even get a glimps at it. I know from experience changing my water pump (btw that SUCKS!!!) ok back on topic. The timing belt is coverd with guess what, Timing Belt Covers, too keep coolant from getting on it,.

its not that bad ,3 belts ,water pump PULLEY (4 small bolts use a belt to hold the pulley from spinning)1 pulley bracket, 1 upper rad.hose,1 water inlet hose(these 2 have quik clamps-factory)and an upper and lower timing cover

im only worried about setting the belt tension correctly
since its not self tensioning like the 4 cylinder ive done
Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 PM
2nd Gen Boostinator

Originally Posted by maximagician
its not that bad ,3 belts ,water pump PULLEY (4 small bolts use a belt to hold the pulley from spinning)1 pulley bracket, 1 upper rad.hose,1 water inlet hose(these 2 have quik clamps-factory)and an upper and lower timing cover

im only worried about setting the belt tension correctly
since its not self tensioning like the 4 cylinder ive done
dont for get the crank pulley and starter

i read my hayes and it said that when you tighten it with the tensioner you should have about 1/4 inch of flex when you push in the middle of both cam gears whan the belt is installed, any more= belt skips, any less= makes a whining noise

Last edited by Big_E-Dog; 02-02-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:48 PM

i hate timming belts. whoever came up with the idea of having a belt keep this many parts in check needs to be slapped in his eye. just my O P I N I O N.

Last edited by Thanatos; 04-08-2008 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 05:44 PM

So i didn't get any maitenance info from the previous owner of my VE, is it possible I could call up the dealership and produce a vin to see if the timing belt was replaced at 90k? if it wasn't, would they still do it regardless of the miles / years since?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:48 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Mysticcal
So i didn't get any maitenance info from the previous owner of my VE, is it possible I could call up the dealership and produce a vin to see if the timing belt was replaced at 90k? if it wasn't, would they still do it regardless of the miles / years since?
VEs don't have a timing belt thankfully.
only the VG got it.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
VEs don't have a timing belt thankfully.
only the VG got it.
ok, so since the timing belt is out, any other maitenance issues i should know about other then the transmission?

I think im gonna do the following this week regardless of when it was done last (keep in mind this car was sitting for months at a time with a possibly thrashed tranny.)

belts
hoses
oil change
water pump
thermostat
air filter
Old 02-03-2008, 11:00 PM
I miss my VE

sounds good, id also do the plugs nd PCV valve.. oh nd big thing unless u wanna risk getting stranded.. if the car is over 150k i'd replace the fuel pump with a dealer one that will run u about $300 for the part but well worth it. thats if ur plannin on keepin the car

Originally Posted by Mysticcal
ok, so since the timing belt is out, any other maitenance issues i should know about other then the transmission?

I think im gonna do the following this week regardless of when it was done last (keep in mind this car was sitting for months at a time with a possibly thrashed tranny.)

belts
hoses
oil change
water pump
thermostat
air filter
Old 02-09-2008, 01:30 PM

So update on my car...took it to a friends garage, and 2 am this morning found out the crank shaft is broken....soo now i need to see if the engine from my other one is interchangable....anyone know(stupid question here) is it easier to pull the whole engine, or just take crank shaft from one to the other?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:46 PM
I miss my VE

How do you break a crank shaft on an engine like this?? And how did you come to that conclusion anyway?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:48 PM

as to how it broke..i dont know...we assumed it was the timing belt, but when he started taking it apart, he is telling me the crank is broken...so i really dont know...do they break easy? i just read in another post that they only break if the timing belt is too tight?
Old 02-09-2008, 02:19 PM

as to how it broke..i dont know...we assumed it was the timing belt, but when he started taking it apart, he is telling me the crank is broken...so i really dont know...do they break easy? i just read in another post that they only break if the timing belt is too tight?
i dont think that a belt could do damage like that. the only time i have seen a crank shaft break was on a 1200 hp nitrous fead chevy sb missing a gear and going out of numbers. shaft went flying out the bottom in two peices. crazy.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:35 PM
I miss my VE

The valves probably crashed into the pistons but I don't think the crank can break like that.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

i thought i heard of a single case a while back that the crank broke off on the snout(?) where the pulleys attach. is that mebe where it broke?

as for removing the engine to replace the crank, if the valves and pistons even just kissed, it would be worth the trouble of replacing the engine. bent valves, ftl
Old 02-09-2008, 05:29 PM
mod or sell?

swap the motor. in order to do the crank, you typically pull the engine out anyhow.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:48 AM

There have been numerous occasions where the snout of the crankshaft breaks due to the pulley belts being too tight. I, for one, can attest to this as it was the demise of my VG. I too thought the timing belt had went south only to find out the snout of the crankshaft had broken. Long story short, replace the engine. It is toast.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:41 AM

So a little update on my timing belt and crank .....i talked to the previous owner of my car..i have owned it since May 07, it sat parked for 6 months previous and about 4 months before that, he had the timing belt done. So maybe it was done too tight? I am bring my car home right now, and deciding if i cam taking it to the Nissan dealer here to get him to check it out properly...i have lost faith in the garage that has been dealing with it..i dont think he wants to tackle the job...if thats whats really wrong...ill keep you posted..too bad no one was close to me...come help me since you all know so much about this.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey i have just replace my water pump and timing belt. i believe that i did everything rite but, now my car is running like crap. i have no low end torque at all. the car still runs and drives but, i don't have any power any more. when i hold the gas a 2500 i can hear a nasty miss and one of my injectors are not firing so i think that is my power robber. can anyone please help me i dont know anything bout this car.. thanks

Quick Reply: Timing Belt