3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Okay, two things...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 07:00 PM

Okay, two things...

1) Clutch:
I just replaced my clutch with an exedy stage 1 clutch beccause it started slipping. After all the expensive parts arrive I get the trans off only to find that the real reason the clutch was slipping was because the clutch fork had a hole in it. A simple $50 part would have fixed the entire probllem, but since I had the new clutch I just decided to throw it on there anyways. So,... I have a very slightly used Exedy clutch plate and friction disk and brand new everything else that came with the kit for sale if anyone is interested. The problem I'm having now, though, is when I replaced the clutch I just wanted to here my car run so I put 75w-90 gl5 gear oil in it. The wrong gear oil, I know, but I only drove with it for 200 miles and I just swapped that gear oil for Redline mt90 (gl4) today. When I first started the car on the gl5 gear oil there were no problems but after driving it for a day I started to hear the gears changing and clicking noise when I move the stick left and right while in neutral. Since changing to the Redline I still hear the noises but the gears come out really easy, like realllyyyy easy. It's abnormally easy to get into second now. Don't get me wrong, it feels good, it's just that it didn't do any of this before the clutch replacement. Do you think its just the new gear oil or did that gl5 gear oil really kill my synchros that fast? Or is there just something that my be loose.

2) Fuel injectors:
While the clutch was going in, I decided to get the fuel injectors done too. I had a bad misfire going on for a while [like 6 months (I know please don't hate me)]. I deffinitely notice a difference in the power with the new injectors and it starts up so much easier now but the misfire still sounds the same. When I turn the car on in the morning it idles at about 1900 rpms with no misfire at all and it sounds so good, but as the engine warms up and the rpms slowly decrease the misfire slowly comes back until its full force again. I'm thinking of doing a compression test to see if that may be it. Do you think new spark plugs will do it? Before I replaced the injectors the misfire was in cylinder 3 and I was positive it was the injector because the Ohms were up to the 20's (real bad).

tl;dr - Clickling noises when changing gears and moving stick back and forth in neutral. Misfire still persistent even after fuel injector replacement.

Last edited by Rambo_The_Maxima; 04-07-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:07 PM

Also, here's a visual for you. This is Rambo.

Name:  IMG_0329_zpse68be5bc.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  102.5 KB
Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 AM

I would check the injector plugs themselves. Those have the tendency to corrode up pretty good. Don't forget to check pulse with a noid light if everything else checks good. I've seen PCM's do weird things as well.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by skaterdudz02
I would check the injector plugs themselves. Those have the tendency to corrode up pretty good. Don't forget to check pulse with a noid light if everything else checks good. I've seen PCM's do weird things as well.
The plugs were replaced not too long before the injectors. And what pulse would I be checking with the noid light? Don't think Ive ever heard of that.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rambo_The_Maxima
The plugs were replaced not too long before the injectors. And what pulse would I be checking with the noid light? Don't think Ive ever heard of that.
Checking injector pulse with a noid light will ensure the PCM and wiring is all good and intact.