3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Need Advice on a Loss of Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:42 PM

Need Advice on a Loss of Electrical Issue

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of getting my 3rd gen ready to sell off (sad day) and I have an issue. While removing my aftermarket HU, my power wire (which is ran from the stereo location to the battery with a switch in between). This wire is ran into a 3 slot battery terminal with the other engine harness + wires in the other two. I had believed that the switch was off but I must have hit it with my knee, resulting in the + wire touching the frame. After this happened, I lost my speedo, tach, headlights, blinkers, climate controls, interior lights, cruise control, and open door dinger. I believe there was something else and I didn't check for tail lights/brake lights. Anyone have an idea of what may have caused this?
All fuses under the dash checked out good. I have an FSM so I can chase down grounds if that is what the issue may be. I also had advice to check out one of the underhood relays?
Any help will greatly be appreciated on this. All money from the sale goes towards the boosting of my 5th gen
Old 05-28-2014, 04:41 AM

If the fuses are in tact,the relays you should be looking at are under the dash, next to the fuse block.

Who installed you deck, and why did they install a toggle switch? I've seen this type of **** far too many times on junkyard cars. Let me guess, quick splices, blade connectors, and store bought wire routed badly, most likely connecting directly to the fuse box?

These type of guys need to stick to what they're good at. Installing fart cans, CAI's and driving dangerously.

Last edited by Hectic; 05-28-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
If the fuses are in tact,the relays you should be looking at are under the dash, next to the fuse block.

Who installed you deck, and why did they install a toggle switch? I've seen this type of **** far too many times on junkyard cars. Let me guess, quick splices, blade connectors, and store bought wire routed badly, most likely connecting directly to the fuse box?

These type of guys need to stick to what they're good at. Installing fart cans, CAI's and driving dangerously.
I installed the toggle switch. When I had bought the car, there was a HU in it with no face plate so I was pleasantly surprised thinking that I'd swap a face plate on and go. Well, the HU didn't work and when I go to take it out it was a nightmare of hacked wires. Had a wire running from the stereo (guess where) directly to the fuse box.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:32 AM

So why did you install the toggle switch?
Old 05-29-2014, 12:45 PM

I ran all my own front and rear stage wires from an amp straight to the doors, wired in my own ground for the head unit, and wired in the toggle to avoid the hack job under the dash all together. I don't see why having a toggle switch installed is so taboo? If the wiring harness was in tact yet, I would have done it "by the book" but in this case, it was much easier to run the power wire rather than mess with the wires.
I grabbed my FSM and am going to check those relays by the fuse block today. I never knew these gens had a those two circuit breakers behind the fuse block, would it be possible it tripped one of those if the relays check out alright?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:07 AM

Toggle switch is just redundant. No reason not to wire it up to acc/on from the ignition switch. You should have removed the mess of wires from the previous installation, and either soldered replacement stock connectors at the cutoff point, or simply wired the new deck harness directly to the cut wires.

Circuit breakers aren't connected to any of that stuff you listed. Check those ignition relays, and more importantly, the fusible links in the engine bay. I'm guessing you connected the new wire to a constant from the battery (white/red) and blew the fusible link prior to the ignition switch, which is prior to the ignition relays and much more.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:16 PM

Thanks for the help so far Hectic. I appreciate it. I am making a junkyard trip either tomorrow or the day after to grab fusible links, handful of relays, and a spare ecu to be safe. I'll get back to you after I swap parts around and see how things turn out.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:48 AM

See this post here, http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...d-problem.html, starting with my post here: http://forums.maxima.org/8700980-post20.html. I believe you fried one of the fusible links.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Believe the issue is solved. Went to the junkyard and grabbed a handful of fusible links from a Max there and went through all the ones on the car. Every one was good except for the 100A main next to the battery. Only one I didn't snag. So I will be ordering one from Courtesy and throwing that in and will report back but I have a hunch it's the culprit.