3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

WSP Muffler Install (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002 | 10:43 AM

WSP Muffler Install (Pics)

The original muffler on my 90 SE seemed ready to explode, so I bought an OEM-style replacement muffler from warpspeedperformance.com for $75 (and then got talked into a y-pipe, but that's another story).

I hurried up and did this since I've had mufflers go bad at the most inopportune times, and then got stuck using the local chain muffler shop.

In comparison, this muffler is right nice and should last as long as I own this car. Its certainly not the ultimate in performance, but is inexpensive, looks good, and sounds real nice. This paired with the budget Y-pipe, and homemade intake, have made the car a blast to drive.

Here are some shots of the install if you want to take a look..

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=96663381303&n=1542258304
Old 01-22-2002 | 11:06 AM
Jedi Knight

nice install....maybe I'll get one now

OE
Old 01-22-2002 | 11:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So it's a bit louder, but not much louder than stock? Any hint of annoying drone at certain RPM/speeds? (not that it should much since you still have a resonator)

Very very nice writeup and meticulous install by the way - good job!
Old 01-22-2002 | 12:30 PM

WSP Sound

I have not experienced any droning, if you mean obnoxious/loud noise. Most notable difference is a lower note at startup, and if you cruise at low rpm.

I tested it a number of times and you hear the low note most from 2500-3000 rpm. For some reason after that I don't hear it but more of the typical engine sounds as you accelerate. Up top I hear the intake (which also sounds nice). Also hear it during shifts as engine noise quiets temporarily (Muffler/intake gives a nice "boo wah" during each shift).

I'm probably a decade older than most of you guys, and not into loud or obnoxious exhausts. And this fits the bill nicely. I haven't enjoyed the aural experience of driving this much since I had a '73 BMW 2002 in college.

Best I can describe it is lower and more refined than stock. Does sound like a V8 somehow, like my neighbors V8 Mustang.
Old 01-22-2002 | 12:37 PM
Jedi Knight

wow.....he said...a '73 BMW in college....geeez...u must be Old...but definately young at heart when behind the max!....
Old 01-22-2002 | 01:14 PM

Re: WSP Muffler Install (Pics)

Originally posted by gavski
The original muffler on my 90 SE seemed ready to explode, so I bought an OEM-style replacement muffler from warpspeedperformance.com for $75 (and then got talked into a y-pipe, but that's another story).

I hurried up and did this since I've had mufflers go bad at the most inopportune times, and then got stuck using the local chain muffler shop.

In comparison, this muffler is right nice and should last as long as I own this car. Its certainly not the ultimate in performance, but is inexpensive, looks good, and sounds real nice. This paired with the budget Y-pipe, and homemade intake, have made the car a blast to drive.

Here are some shots of the install if you want to take a look..

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=96663381303&n=1542258304
nice! how much have you spent total, and how is the power increase? is that all i'm after?
Old 01-22-2002 | 01:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: WSP Sound

Originally posted by gavski
I have not experienced any droning, if you mean obnoxious/loud noise. Most notable difference is a lower note at startup, and if you cruise at low rpm.

I tested it a number of times and you hear the low note most from 2500-3000 rpm. For some reason after that I don't hear it but more of the typical engine sounds as you accelerate. Up top I hear the intake (which also sounds nice). Also hear it during shifts as engine noise quiets temporarily (Muffler/intake gives a nice "boo wah" during each shift).

I'm probably a decade older than most of you guys, and not into loud or obnoxious exhausts. And this fits the bill nicely. I haven't enjoyed the aural experience of driving this much since I had a '73 BMW 2002 in college.

Best I can describe it is lower and more refined than stock. Does sound like a V8 somehow, like my neighbors V8 Mustang.
Thanks a lot, that was very informative! I'm just trying to formulate some ideas for when my muffler gives up the ghost. I'm really paranoid about exhaust noises nowadays, since the last time I tried something like this (I was young) I foolishly removed the resonator and put in a mild performance muffler. The "droning" (kind of a low, loud, really resonant hum/roar) that I'm worried about typically shows up around cruising RPM and was irritating even after adding a resonator. I just don't need an encore someday...

This muffler sounds nice - the references to your BMW and the V8 are encouraging.
Old 01-22-2002 | 03:08 PM

Just call me Jeffasaurus

Dude. I got some years on you, but not ancient. Had the '73 '02 in late '80's, so you can do the math.

I made my exhaust mistakes on a VW Jetta I had for 12years/220K. Removed "mid muffler" and went through 3 systems and most people didnt like riding in the back seat, if you know what I mean. Fit and quality were also issues.

But for an 'old man' like me, this setup is just right. Enough to hear when you want to during spirited driving, but quiet enough so I can listen to NPR on the way to work. What's NPR? -- that'll come later in your listening repertoire.

BTW, after the snow last weekend I have installed: WSP muffler, WSP non-mandrel, aluminized Y-pipe, and Pep Boys POP. That's it for me (except perhaps CAI) while I get the handling package sorted.

And you young fellas; pipe down those subs would ya! kidding...
Old 01-22-2002 | 10:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I thought your photo's and writeup looked pretty good. If you let me know it's all right I'll add a webpage for install instructions for the gen 3 mufflers with your photo's. Send me a photo of your car and I'll post it along with the page, I'll also give you the photo and info credits.

For $75 the muffler really isn't too bad and its not really noisy at all. I think on the next one I'll expand the inlet end just slightly to make it slip over a little easier. I know cutting the old one off is always the hardest part since there is not much space. We do the single tip GXE's as well.

Dallas
Old 01-23-2002 | 04:11 PM

Pics

You're welcome to the pics. Hope it helps out. Have full size shots (640x480) if you want those. Don't have much of an exterior yet, but a rear end shot with the muffler may answer some fit questions. I'll shoot it to you later.
Old 01-23-2002 | 04:56 PM

Hey WSP guys, Dalls and Dan,

Does this muffler have any performance benefits? From the pictures here and on your site I'm pretty sure it's not a straight through design. Does it mirror the OEM muffler design, does it have variable pressure release like the 5th gen muffler? Any description would help a lot.

Currently I'm looking at a universal Remus muffler, because the ones I've heard have been pretty quiet, but those are also pretty expensive.

Thanks in advance

For $75 the muffler really isn't too bad and its not really noisy at all. I think on the next one I'll expand the inlet end just slightly to make it slip over a little easier. I know cutting the old one off is always the hardest part since there is not much space. We do the single tip GXE's as well.

Dallas [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 01-23-2002 | 07:16 PM

Originally posted by 808SE
Hey WSP guys, Dalls and Dan,

Does this muffler have any performance benefits? From the pictures here and on your site I'm pretty sure it's not a straight through design. Does it mirror the OEM muffler design, does it have variable pressure release like the 5th gen muffler? Any description would help a lot.

Currently I'm looking at a universal Remus muffler, because the ones I've heard have been pretty quiet, but those are also pretty expensive.

Thanks in advance

Dallas
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think it probably performs a bit better than stock but it is not really a performance muffler. I almost always suggest staying away from the dtm or direct through mufflers, mainly due to noise and torque loss. Most dtm's you will have to add a resonator anyway.

We have been working on one today, we are repairing a 3" catback on a supercharged maxima. It has an APEXI-N muffler on it and its loud, we are adding a 10" long resonator to cut the noise. Of course we also added a WSP Y pipe, CS cat and some sfc's (sfc's of course add no noise) neither did the Y pipe or cat.

The variable pressure muffler is only on the 2000-2002 from what I have seen and is the only one made like it. I don't have enough miles on mine to tell how it will perform but it sounds pretty good. I am sure it could be made to fit under a gen 3.
Dallas
Old 01-24-2002 | 03:34 PM

I would like to know how much quiter the N1 got with the 10" resonator, I was plaining getting a Y pipe removing the cat and replacing it with some type resonator and finishing it off with a N1.I'm wanting to get good flow(and looks) with fairly quite sound.

thanks
Jason92SE
Old 01-24-2002 | 03:41 PM
I'm needing a caw

I did this over a year ago. Looks factory and is very quiet. It's my flex section that makes all the damn noise.

Originally posted by bmfjeep
The variable pressure muffler is only on the 2000-2002 from what I have seen and is the only one made like it. I don't have enough miles on mine to tell how it will perform but it sounds pretty good. I am sure it could be made to fit under a gen 3.
Dallas [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 01-24-2002 | 07:20 PM

The N1 is basically a resonator. It has a large diameter tube with one baffle inside and a 5" tip, you can see right through it, the supercharged car we re-did the exhaust on had one. Even with a 10" resonator it was pretty loud. I would probably go at least a 24" with the N1. Remember though, we did a mandrel bent 3" exhaust for him which in itself adds to the noise a bit.

Make sure whoever puts the N1 on for you knows you want the hangers welded to the top of the muffler. If not they will weld those hangers to the bttom or the side of the stainless shell and they will rust and look like crap.

We took the Stillen Y pipe off of his car as well, replaced the cat and put one of our Y pipes on it, pretty big difference between the 2-1/4" Stillen pipe and our 2-1/2".
Dallas