3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Want To Replace The BOSE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 11:56 PM

Want To Replace The BOSE!!!

hey guys, I just bought a Sony CDX-C7850 HU off of my friend, practically brand new, sat in his house for a while. But, In my '92 SE i have the infamous BOSE factory sys. Now i'm told the best thing to do is just replace everything, so i guess thats what im gonna do, only im not an expert on speakers or anything, i was wondering what would be the best thing to do as far as setup, speaker types and everthing. Now i want something decent, at least a little better than the BOSE,if anyone would have any suggestions or any info that would help would be great, cuz i want a good sys. just nuttin thats gonna cost me a huge amount of $$. Also how much would the entire BOSE sys. in condition be worth, anyone know? -Steve
Old 01-24-2002, 04:41 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Well, you present a couple of interesting scenarios here. Because first and foremost, you don't NECESSARILY have to replace everything in order to put the HU in. There is an adapter that either Scoche makes or some other manufacturer like Metra (I'm not too sure..) that will interface your aftermarket HU with the factory Bose speakers.

Of course, if you're dead set on replacing everything, there's probably a couple of things you need to know first, like speaker sizes and placement.

3rd Gen Maximas have 6x9 rear fill and 5 1/2 front speakers (correct me if I'm wrong anyone..). The fronts are mounted in a pod, of sorts, and the rears are on this big bracket-type thingie. All speakers are individually amplified, so if you're doing this, you'll have to either bypass the amps, or pull them out entirely. I did the latter, but the choice is ultimately yours!

Everyone has their own way of setting their systems up, as well as what kind of speakers they like. I've got Boston Acoustic Pro-series components all around, which have served me well. But it's really a matter of what you like.

As for selling the old stuff, it depends on the market. IMO, you'll probably get a better deal, cost-wise, from Ebay. But since everyone here already owns or knows someone that owns a Maxima, your chances of selling are greatly increased. I can't really put a price on things, because I sold my stuff out piece by piece. It really just depends on what the market is at that time.

I don't know if any of what I said makes sense, but hopefully, it'll put you on the road to a happier system. Good luck, and enjoy the ride!!
Old 01-24-2002, 08:14 PM

I did this with my 90 max. When I bought it the speakers were all shot and the head unit basically worked when it wanted to so I had the whole system removed. Total cost=

sony M-600: $270 + $120 install for wiring harness, new antenna adaptor and to rewire the whole car.

Pioneer 6X9 three way in there rear: $50 on sale at best buy. $40 or $50 install.

Pioneer 5 1/2 in door: $50 + $40 or $50 install.

Total cost= between $570 to $590.

Cost some dough.

Old 01-25-2002, 06:18 PM

There is an adapter for the car and with it you can keep the amps wire for the speakers which will kind of help any speakers and i replaced everything myself with cerwin vegas in the front and back. It sounds really good but I am looking to drop my bose too and go with my own four channel amp to get just that much more sound out. The speakers only cost about 300 for all four.
Old 01-25-2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by latinmaxima
There is an adapter for the car and with it you can keep the amps wire for the speakers which will kind of help any speakers and i replaced everything myself with cerwin vegas in the front and back. It sounds really good but I am looking to drop my bose too and go with my own four channel amp to get just that much more sound out. The speakers only cost about 300 for all four.

Alrite, so seeing that i eventually wanna change the BOSE all together,i think i wanna use the adapter now so i can at least get the HU in. Cuz i dont exactly have the $$ to drop on new speakers rite now. So how much would the adapter be if i decide to go through w/ it, where exactly can i get it,also does it really work fine w/ no problems in sound or watever and is it hard to put in??......Thanx
Old 01-26-2002, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by MyMax92

Alrite, so seeing that i eventually wanna change the BOSE all together,i think i wanna use the adapter now so i can at least get the HU in. Cuz i dont exactly have the $$ to drop on new speakers rite now. So how much would the adapter be if i decide to go through w/ it, where exactly can i get it,also does it really work fine w/ no problems in sound or watever and is it hard to put in??......Thanx
I haven't had any problems with the sound it sounds real clear and fresh. no static so it is worth it just to do the upgrade.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:39 AM

Re: Want To Replace The BOSE!!!

the bose system isn't worth anything.... you do have to replace everything....try best buy. they usuallyhave pretty good deals and their installation isn't to pricey. it's going to cost you a few hundred anywhere you go though. but i wouldn't recommend circut city. their customer service sucks. and then they take apart your car say it'll be ready for 2, you get there at 4 and it's in a million pieces..lovely experience. but my sis got hers done at best buy and so did a few friends of mine and they got pretty good deals and they haven't had any problems.
goodluck!