3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Keep fixing or buy new?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 01:21 PM

Keep fixing or buy new?

I really like my 94 gxe...so much that i have replace just about everything to keep her running except the engine and trans.

The trans i noticed is starting to slip...have checked the oil level ok. HAVE heard
the trans is weak in the 94 gxe...and so i have changed the oil every 50k mi to avoid trans.issues.

So i am thinking new car...now. i really don't want to buy a new car...however
need something reliable for out of town trips...

Can this old car be made reliable...i like being able to see the engine ...spark plugs etc.

Your replies appreciated...thanks in advance
Old 07-12-2015, 07:30 PM

It depends..

I have a 94 GXE also. It currently has around 225,000. I, like you, have made sure and changed the tranny fluid along with all the other fluids.
I thought my tranny was starting to slip also so I took it to two different mechanics (Nissan) had them take it out and drive it.
They both said it appeared to them tranny was fine..
I still drive mine on a monthly basis of 1000 miles (90% mostly interstate) although I am cycling it between two other cars. Air conditioning went out long ago and I'm not going to spend the $800 or so to get it fixed which limits the times of the year I can drive it.
I also have put several thousand in her to keep her road worthy. The list is to long to list here. It just boils down to what you want to do. I haven't heard anything good about the beloved CVT's in any of the maximas so even if I was "considering" a new car I probably wouldn't look at Nissan. Just my opinion.
As these cars get older she will eventually have to go but I'm going to enjoy her as long as I have her...Good Luck with what ever you decide..
Old 07-13-2015, 07:41 AM

I went to the g35 camp when I decided to park my 92se 5spd. I am still going to get the maxima on the road, but got the infiniti to give her a break. My oldest son will be taking over on the maxima so I have to get it ready for him.

What kind of budget are you looking at for another rig? Have you considered a truck or suv?
Old 07-13-2015, 08:09 PM

dealsgap...wow 225k miles...good to know. Mine has 140k on speedo. Some of the things replaced past year were struts front and rear. rack pinion steerings. steering hoses...and thinking or replacing all cv boots on the front axle. You say thousands spent...probably same here too. Engine runs great synthetic oil change along with nissan filter every 3k miles.

Doubleclutch92...Thinking new...Jeep was one that came to mind... as since rock climbing hobbyist use them...they have to be built strong. However have to get something my wife can drive...so that leaves out any large vehicle. I still keep my 80s chevy 3/4 ton van tune and drivable though.

Last edited by Starrider; 07-14-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:10 PM

I myself was in the same situation. To get these to be reliable is not impossible but it will take a lot of money for a 3rd gen enthusiast. I have dumped so much into mine that I would have been able to afford a brand new car today and paid off. I have had another 3rd gen that I sold a year or so later and then 2 4th gens. I finally decided in 2008 to place the order for the 335i 4door 6speed. Then I got my wife the 2nd gen G35 sedan and now I got her the new 328i with sport package. All have been reliable but it also depends on what you really want to do as far as reliability. Think of our old 3rd gens as money pits to reliability, hence: car payment but it's still yours. It's how you want to look at it.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:18 AM

the 3rd gen (mine is 94 GXE w/ 194k mi.) is a GREAT car- easy to work on (compared to new cars), lots of steel instead of plastic, durable interior materials, great little engine, easy to drive and great visibility. But you must maintain them as anything else.
The big things I've experienced are: tranny rebuild at 140k, all major gaskets and oil seals,belts, alternator, suspension and cv axles, window regulators, Y pipe, heater core, and tail light connectors. Add to this the normal stuff and if you do all this, your 3rd gen will just keep running and running. I bought mine in 99 for $10k w/ 41k mi., and with the above mentioned maint items, I've got $21k in her. Without fuel and fluids, that's a capital cost of running her at ~15 cents per mile!!! Can't beat that!! And my Max looks beautiful- no missing body parts, no faded paint, etc. stock as a rock so I'm not embarrassed to drive it downtown! The problem now is that she's only on the books for maybe $1500 so it's almost not worth selling her. Very convenient to have a spare car for when one of the others goes down. The other problem is that to do any major work (it needs struts f & r) I have to do myself otherwise the repair will cost almost as much as the car's value. I don't like those economics so I try to cut my losses by being a DIYer. If/when the tranny goes again, or the motor konks out, then I need to make the big decision. The only other issue is the cost of insurance. Maybe some day a local kid will need a car to learn on and I'll feel it's time to pass her on to a good home. But until then....
Old 12-23-2015, 02:51 PM

It's so much cheaper for me to maintain my 3rd gen then it is to buy another vehicle or make a monthly payment on a new or new-ish car. The only downside (or upside?) is that I have to spend a lot of time with my Max. If something breaks, 9 times out of 10 I am the "mechanic." I am grateful though. It's nice to be able to fix things yourself, not rely on others, and not have to accept a huge labor bill.