3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

300zx calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:41 PM

300zx calipers

I have an oppotunity to get front and back calipers from a 300zx in good condition for a good price. I believe they fit the 240's aswell but would they fit the 3rd gen stock brackets without doing the big brake upgrade or does the upgrade have to be done for them to work? If that is the case are the brackets to do the conversion still available anywhere and does the caliper size have to be 28mm or 30mm whether staying on the stock rotors or doing the bbk upgrade?
Old 07-19-2015, 08:27 PM

https://maxima.org/forums/advanced-s...-calipers.htmlhttps://maxima.org/forums/advanced-suspension-chassis-braking/616838-new-rotor-option-z32-j30-calipers.html

Probably the easiest upgrade in my opinion.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:05 PM
No turbo, no care!

While the j30 calipers are a moderate upgrade, it's a lot more unsprung weight you are adding. The z32 calipers are 4 pistons and if you got the aluminum variant its 6lbs lighter per side. That's 12 lbs of unsprung weight you are losing, which will likely more than make up for the heavier/larger rotors. You can also use 30mm wide rotors if you get the correct brakes (they come in 28mm and 30mm). The rear Z32 calipers are unusable while keeping the parking brake, unless of course you are willing and able to do some serious modifications and again add more unsprung weight.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:47 AM

Location: Long Beach, CA is where i live. Queens NYC is always home.
z32 front calipers wont work right w/o doing the upgrades. The stock maxima rotor is the same diameter as z32. BUT the offset is different.The inboard side of the caliper will interfere Tho the bolt pattern is the same.... Tho it`s been a while.. contact Jeff92SE for the brackets
Old 07-20-2015, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
The rear Z32 calipers are unusable while keeping the parking brake, unless of course you are willing and able to do some serious modifications and again add more unsprung weight.
Is the problem the cable mount location? I got a pair from the yard awhile back, the fronts were gone which is what I was after. Figured I might as well get the rears even though I knew there was some incompatibility, and the very least sell them.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:08 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by Hectic
Is the problem the cable mount location? I got a pair from the yard awhile back, the fronts were gone which is what I was after. Figured I might as well get the rears even though I knew there was some incompatibility, and the very least sell them.
No it's because the rear calipers don't actually lock the rear brakes. There is separate assembly much like a drum brake inside the rotor that locks the wheels. You would have to swap that assembly over to your car to retain rear parking brakes.

IMO it wouldn't be worth it even if you could customize the rear enough to make it work. All that extra weight would offset the savings from the aluminum calipers.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IMHO just go to a full custom setup from wilwood. Been there, done that with both iron and aluminum Z32 rotors, the easiest way to tell the two apart are the fins and IIRC the "piston circles" looked different, iirc the aluminums looked "connected" but it's been a decade.

You can pick up a set of Wilwood Superlites for less than $300, you get a massive surface area improvement and you have more options for bore size. IIRC there was one way to get the Z32's to bolt up without brackets, i forget the rotors, but every single possible combination that has been covered on the forum numerous times so a search should reveal it, but honestly that would really only get you a slightly better pedal feel and some fade resistance but not nearly the same improvement you get from the mechanical advantage increase from running a larger diameter rotor.

At this point though I'd let parts availability make the decision for you, if you can track down some cheap Z32's and especially some of the Jeffy brackets or Matt's brackets, well there's tons of info. Otherwise there are some wilwood kits floating around out there as well. Building a ground up wilwood/anything custom brake system requires a lot of research, math and a thorough understanding, but I find it to be a lot of fun and very rewarding.