3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Transmission Fluid and filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:10 PM

Transmission Fluid and filter?

My 93 Maxima GXE 3.0 SOHC Automatic Overdrive.
I have been getting more done on my car. I looked underneath to see how hard it was to get to the tranny pan. Figured I might as well change the tranny fluid and filter.
I see no pan under there?? Just a large allen head drain plug towards the front of the car?
If I am looking at the right thing?? No pan underneath???
I then looked on top of the tranny under the hood.
BURIED under a bunch of stuff I see a bolted down pan. Which would seem odd on top of the tranny. Especially buried under stuff.
Whats the procedure on doing these?
My fluid is not horrible, but at 92K, I don't know when it was done last, and the fluid still looks decent, but wanted to keep it that way.

Last edited by TonyPa; 07-22-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:05 AM

Your looking in the right place. There's no pan or filter. Just drain and fill. The pan on the top under the battery tray is to access the valve body. You'll only get about 4L out because the rest of the fluid will be in the torque converter so after doing a drain and fill if you really want to clean up the trans. fluid drive it 2-3 weeks then do another drain and fill. I definately wouldn't recomend a flush. Just do a drain and fill 2-3 times to clean it up with fresh fluid. I'd recomend using Amsoil multi vehicle but ofcoarse everyone has their own opinion. If you want to stay with oem recomended fluid use dex 2.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Your looking in the right place. There's no pan or filter. Just drain and fill. The pan on the top under the battery tray is to access the valve body. You'll only get about 4L out because the rest of the fluid will be in the torque converter so after doing a drain and fill if you really want to clean up the trans. fluid drive it 2-3 weeks then do another drain and fill. I definately wouldn't recomend a flush. Just do a drain and fill 2-3 times to clean it up with fresh fluid. I'd recomend using Amsoil multi vehicle but of coarse everyone has their own opinion. If you want to stay with oem recomennded fluid use dex 2.
Thank you for answering! I did look online and see it takes Dex2, but I don't see it anywhere local to me.
I do see Dex3/Mercon. Is that bad?? I don't want to ruin my tranny by putting in the wrong thing, or mixing something bad. I never tried amsoil.
Thats a good idea. I can do three drain and refills, seems easy enough to do on this car then.
I seen the allen head. Hope it comes out easy. Although looks like a 1/2 inch ratchet head size to me, but I didn't try that yet.
I will never do a flush, I heard bad things about that.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:23 PM

Your correct. It is a 1/2 inch. You could use a 1/2 inch breaker bar. You should be o.k with dex 6 aswell. I just prefer amsoil multi vehicle because it's a really good synthetic vs. standard conventional and will last much longer. You could always get the Nissan matic fluid from the dealership but they're expensive in my opinion and if your going to spend the money I'd go with the amsoil 5L jugs. I've been using it for some time now and it hasn't given me any issues and I've found it to be a good product.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:08 PM

Your correct. It is a 1/2 inch. You could use a 1/2 inch breaker bar. You should be o.k with dex 6 aswell. I just prefer amsoil multi vehicle because it's a really good synthetic vs. standard conventional and will last much longer. You could always get the Nissan matic fluid from the dealership but they're expensive in my opinion and if your going to spend the money I'd go with the amsoil 5L jugs. I've been using it for some time now and it hasn't given me any issues and I've found it to be a good product.
I thought it looked like a 1/2 inch by peaking underneath. I was trying to cheat by asking about the tranny fluid.
I already have DEX3/Mercon, I think two gallons of it in the garage, thats why I asked. I just didn't want to do it, then end up sorry in the end. But I figured if it don't hurt it, I just saved some money.
I have just spent so much on getting the timing belt, water pump, tensioner, thermosat, exhaust, many other things....Just a ton of work.
I am doing all the maintenance first. Almost done honestly. Then I can do cool stuff!!!

I figure with only 92K on it, its worth putting cash into, I really like this car a lot.

Last edited by TonyPa; 07-22-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:46 PM

To be honest im not sure about dex 3. I do know dex 2 and dex 6 are o.k. Check in the sponsor vendors/ group deals section of the classifieds and look for talkinghorse. He sells Amsoil. Im in Canada so i get mine from a local Amsoil dealer i know but as far as i know talkinghorse has Amsoil at a good cost for you guys down south. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Amsoil multi vehicle tranny fluid. They make excellent engine oil too. Get yourself some 5w 30 Amsoil signature series synthetic and an Amsoil filter and just change it every 6 month's and as for the tranny fluid every couple years and you'll be good but again each to their own
Old 07-22-2015, 10:18 PM

To be honest im not sure about dex 3. I do know dex 2 and dex 6 are o.k. Check in the sponsor vendors/ group deals section of the classifieds and look for talkinghorse. He sells Amsoil. Im in Canada so i get mine from a local Amsoil dealer i know but as far as i know talkinghorse has Amsoil at a good cost for you guys down south. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Amsoil multi vehicle tranny fluid. They make excellent engine oil too. Get yourself some 5w 30 Amsoil signature series synthetic and an Amsoil filter and just change it every 6 month's and as for the tranny fluid every couple years and you'll be good but again each to their own
Thank you. I never did check Advance auto near me for Dex2, but I don't recall seeing any. I will check into Amsoil Multi? I guess thats for my car? I will buy enough to do a few changes, to get it cleaned out. Its not really "bad" dirty, or burnt....but enough to bother me.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:29 AM

Amsoil multi vehicle. Its good for a range of vehicles. Its been awhile so if you were going to use it I'd just specify its for an import and what vehicle you have. I've been using it for awhile now with no issues and pretty good results. If you are going to use that or any synthetic I would just do your first drain and fill with something a little less inexpensive if you want to save a little.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:07 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

dextron 2 is no longer available..it's superseded by dextron 3/4/6.

it's the same stuff...i believe 6 is the synthetic
Old 09-02-2015, 06:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yup, all Dex VI is synthetic
Old 09-02-2015, 01:20 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

AMSOIL Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF (Product Code ATF) meets Dextron II, Dextron III and Nissan-Matic D, J & K specs. It will be an outstanding choice for your car.

Dextron VI is a low viscosity fluid designed for the needs of newer cars. AMSOIL low viscosity transmission fluid (Product Code ATL) meets Dextron VI, Nissan Matic-S, and specs for other manufacturers where a low viscosity transmission fluid is required.

See ad in the Group Deals/Sponsors forum for additional information: https://maxima.org/forums/group-deal...g-avail-3.html