3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Geordie's UK 1994 3rd Gen Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 01:18 PM

Geordie's UK 1994 3rd Gen Maxima

Hi guys. I'm Chris, 46 years old and a new member from the UK. I'm originally from South Shields in NE England. I now live 50 miles south of that, in beautiful Saltburn-By-The-Sea, on the border of Cleveland and North Yorkshire. Great to be here. I signed up a few weeks ago, as I'd agreed to buy a 1994 3rd Gen Maxima. I have now collected it, and love it.

Collection day was Monday 4th January. I took a flight from Newcastle Airport....

in this.....

down to Exeter Airport on the South Coast of England....

First proper look in the flesh at the Maxima...

It was as good in reality as it had been in the for sale advert, so it would have been rude not to have handed over the agreed £450 GBP, and drive it away. There was no fuel in the tank, so I took it round the corner to fill up with some unleaded.....

£60 of Momentum Unleaded later, and we had a lush full tank to share on the way home. If we could get started!!! A couple of turns of the key ended only in disappointment, so on went the hazards, and whilst standing at the back of the car advising people that this particular pump wasn't going to be imminently available, I made a quick call to Matt, the lad who I bought it from. Nice guy that he is, he swooped round and boosted the limp 12 volter for me. Next up was to set the sat-nav, which I did after pulling out of the way of the pumps. Cue a knock on the drivers window...."Lovely. How long have you had it?" "Hi, erm, 20 minutes!" haha. Chap was almost drooling over the Maxima, saying he had owned a '93 for 13 years, in the same colour, which was stolen twice, and written off during the second TWOC. "Best car I ever had" said the guy on more than one occasion. He has a Lexus LS400 now, although he was filling up some sort of C-Max thing (probably the wife's), but swears down that given the choice, the Maxima would still be on his drive. Nice when that sort of thing happens.

The drive home, through a variety of weathers, proved to me I'd bought a good'un. It clicked over 70,000 miles passing Bristol on the way back up, and definately feels like a low mileage example. I set the cruise at 70ish when I could, and it just sat there, the 3 litre V6 calmly purring me home at 2200rpm. 365 miles. In one go. No stops (well, I was a bit wary about the battery!). 6 hours. Wondrous beast. Only used 3/4 of that tank of unleaded too.

First pics of it at home (before a wash)...

Old 01-08-2016, 01:20 PM

Rear wing mounted power ariel works...

Original manual was missing, so I sourced this one from a seller in the US...

Old 01-08-2016, 01:23 PM

First wash....

wheel arches really are unbelievably clean...

The body was rough as sandpaper, and needed a clay. I mean, REALLY NEEDED A CLAY...

I'm looking forward to getting some shiny shiny product on it. Looks like this colour should shine up nicely, judging from how well it looks already with just a quick wash and clay

Even after a 365 mile journey home, the car wouldn't start the next day, so I replaced this old duffer...

with this more powerful one...

Some things to sort...fan belt is a bit noisy when cold, the nearside headlight wiper has a mind of it's own and the bonnet lifters are a bit tired, although I now have replacements on their way, thanks to the help from James on this very forum for the part numbers.

Got to say, I love this car. It's Japanese built, comfortable, quite pokey, surprisingly decent on the juice (on a run anyway), and pretty retro looking. I really can't remember the last time I saw one. Not surprising really, as there are literally only a cheeky handful of these still registered on the roads.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:24 PM

So. Future plans. I'd like to keep it standard. But I'd LOVE to modify it. So there we have it. I'm going to go slightly 'improve' it Smile

Remove towbar
Wheels
Lowers
USDM front grille
USDM front corners (they have the orange DRL's)
Lightly tint the rear windows
Front spotlights

I have taken loads of inspiration for my plans from pictures of members cars on here. Cars like these....

I believe at least one of the pics above is of James's car. I've swapped many a message with James over the last month or so, and thanks to him, I received these goodies today....

On went the US corners before it got dark...

Really like that flash of orange, although UK versions didn't have the corners wired in. The dipped lights are just in the main headlights, so hooking up these corners is something I'll look at.

I flicked the switch today for the headlight wipers, and the passenger one went up and stayed up. I suppose that's better than half way up diagonally, so I just left it for now. Does anyone know the workings of these small headlamp wipers. Will it be an easy job to match them up? I think there is a small 9mm nut holding it on at the front.

A couple more things to mention. I have a couple of 4DSC stickers coming from another US supplier, and I have bought these wheels, which should sit very nicely I think....

You may have seen I have another Nissan on the driveway. My 1999 Primera GT LE in Nordic Blue. I actually made the front seats in this car, when I worked for Johnson Controls between 1997 and 2004. I believe they are Infiniti G30's over there.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:24 PM

I have another three cars, so here, have some more pics.....

1997 Porsche Boxster

2004 BMW 530d (daily driver)

2008 Mitsubishi Outlander (Family 7 seater bus)

So there we have it. I've never been accused of not posting enough pics, so be warned, there could be lots more to come!!

If you made it down this far, well done.

Thanks for looking.

Chris
Old 01-08-2016, 04:12 PM

I envy you so much right now as you have a RHD 3rd gen with Euro corners and rear bumper cover which i have been wanting for so long as well as the Grille. Any chance you can let go of the corners and grille? Would love the rear bumper cover with fogs but if you can find one that be great. Otherwise, congrats on acquiring a 3rd gen and welcome to the .org.
Old 01-08-2016, 06:29 PM

awesome Maxima man! cool to have a euro person that likes posting pictures..

i have acquired basically everything that makes your maxima different from US-spec Maximas. and some Japanese and NZ parts too. Including a rear bumper just like the one you have on your car

I have a pair of headlamp wipers, and the only thing you could really do to get them to line up when you want, is to find another wiper switch and hook each one up to individual switches.

I managed to acquire 2 headlamp wipers switches so ill be able to do so when i hook mine up, but as far as i know they dont run synchronized, dont run at the same speed, and dont really have a 'set' rest position. also there used to be a guy on here from somewhere in Europe named "wiking" and he has a cardomain page with information about all sorts of stuff about these cars, he gets into ridiculous detail about things, and i know he too had the same question about his headlamp wipers.

grnmax ive got the euro bumper with both rear fogs in my parts room. ive been thinking about whether or not ill ever get around to using it. ill give it some thought over the next couple weeks.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

The rain here stopped long enough this afternoon for me to wash the Max and get a first coat of some shiny stuff on. It's currently in really good condition, and due to this, it really is going to be awesome with some more elbow grease.

Name:  DSC_1850_zps18paez9x.jpg
Views: 2887
Size:  3.04 MB

Name:  DSC_1851_zpsxghr4yby.jpg
Views: 3170
Size:  3.32 MB

Name:  DSC_1852_zpstq6rakbg.jpg
Views: 3159
Size:  3.11 MB

Name:  DSC_1854_zpsekgch4wv.jpg
Views: 2877
Size:  2.85 MB

Name:  DSC_1855_zpsuhvpya4d.jpg
Views: 2988
Size:  2.97 MB

Name:  DSC_1856_zpsrw07bsxs.jpg
Views: 3466
Size:  2.92 MB

Name:  DSC_1857_zpsyjxklkz7.jpg
Views: 3042
Size:  3.02 MB

Name:  DSC_1861_zpsntoqnta2.jpg
Views: 2875
Size:  1.78 MB
Old 01-09-2016, 11:46 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Wow your car is in phenomenal shape! Very, very nice. The exterior pretty much looks brand new.

Both of these are my (old) car actually. And extra fun fact, the mesh grille seen in the second picture is the one that's now in your possession.

Originally Posted by Geordie

Like DMad said, it's nice to have a UK guy here who actually likes to post and especially post pictures. Congrats on your car and glad to have you here on the .Org
Old 01-09-2016, 11:56 AM

Looking at your pictures some more - what are the buttons on your armrest console (beside the parking brake handle)?

And some white faced SE gauges sure would look good in your car.

Do your rear seats fold down? I know the New Zealand rear seats fold down, but not sure about the UK ones.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:20 PM

Thanks James, love the info about the meshed grille in the pic.

You're right, the bodywork is unbelievably good. I'm lucky.

Ref the switches under the centre armrest, one is for the headlight wipers, and the other is for the rear foglight.

Any pics of the white SE dials?

Not sure whether the rears fold down. Don't think so, but I'll have a look tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:34 PM

Thanks James, love the info about the meshed grille in the pic.

You're right, the bodywork is unbelievably good. I'm lucky.

Ref the switches under the centre armrest, one is for the headlight wipers, and the other is for the rear foglight.

Any pics of the white SE dials?

Not sure whether the rears fold down. Don't think so, but I'll have a look tomorrow.
Click on my car domain page below and just skim through the pics and you will see the white faced gauges that James is talking about.

Dmad don't forget to let me know about that euro rear bumper.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
Click on my car domain page below and just skim through the pics and you will see the white faced gauges that James is talking about.

Dmad don't forget to let me know about that euro rear bumper.
Thanks. Your car looks great. Those white SE dials look smart. Can I ask about the story behind your headlights, and also where I could source some of the deeper style front and rear bumpers. The US ones seem much lower than mine.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:06 AM

I took the Maxima to a local meet-up of my old friends on the UKSaabs forum.....

Then I pulled in for some fuel on the way home.....the attendant service was pretty slow!!!.....

Old 01-10-2016, 10:26 AM

Thanks. Your car looks great. Those white SE dials look smart. Can I ask about the story behind your headlights, and also where I could source some of the deeper style front and rear bumpers. The US ones seem much lower than mine.
Thanks, the headlights are still in the works. They consist of the BMW E36 housing with E60 bi-xenon projectors and the euro maxima glass lens. James made his look more flawless but without the projectors and glass lens but still looks awesome compared to my setup.

Not sure what you mean about the front and rear bumpers? Could it be the stillen lip kit? You can get the whole kit on stillen.com I will be ordering another one soon.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
Thanks, the headlights are still in the works. They consist of the BMW E36 housing with E60 bi-xenon projectors and the euro maxima glass lens. James made his look more flawless but without the projectors and glass lens but still looks awesome compared to my setup.

Not sure what you mean about the front and rear bumpers? Could it be the stillen lip kit? You can get the whole kit on stillen.com I will be ordering another one soon.
I'm not sure I've seen the Euro glass lenses before. Any more info?

Yes, you're right. It's the Stillen kit that I'm referring to. Thanks for that. That's something I'd really like. Do they ever come up used, or would I realistically have to buy new?
Old 01-10-2016, 12:54 PM

"euro" glass lenses arent actually anything european, just a buzz-word they used when selling them. anyway they are aftermarket replicas of stock US headlights, only without the lines used to redirect the light, so they're crystal clear. they were discontinued years ago and are highly sought after. probaby best to just forget about them, especially being in the UK

Geordie I do have a white-face speedometer cluster that i got from a Canadian Maxima, so it reads in KMH, its very easy to swap odometers between clusters if you're interested, ill pull it out when im home and take some pics..
Old 01-10-2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by DMad8724
"euro" glass lenses arent actually anything european, just a buzz-word they used when selling them. anyway they are aftermarket replicas of stock US headlights, only without the lines used to redirect the light, so they're crystal clear. they were discontinued years ago and are highly sought after. probaby best to just forget about them, especially being in the UK

Geordie I do have a white-face speedometer cluster that i got from a Canadian Maxima, so it reads in KMH, its very easy to swap odometers between clusters if you're interested, ill pull it out when im home and take some pics..
Those euro lenses aren't at all sought after, what are you talking about? They're practically worthless. You might as well just trash yours. Hey, actually, you know what - since you're going to trash yours anyway, why not just toss them my way? I'll give you $5 for your trouble.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:59 PM

Ok guys easy with the lights thankfully I still have (both) of mine in 1 piece or should I say 2 pieces. James.

Geordie: not sure if the stillen kit come up used but it be better to get it new from stillen.com. The rear valance might not fit right due the rear fogs. But I'll gladly take that rear bumper cover off your hands if you decide to go with the USDM rear bumper.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:13 PM

Nice.
Weird seeing a RHD Maxima. But I love that rear bumper.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:04 AM

I'm not sure I've seen the Euro glass lenses before. Any more info?

Yes, you're right. It's the Stillen kit that I'm referring to. Thanks for that. That's something I'd really like. Do they ever come up used, or would I realistically have to buy new?
I have a used kit. Minus the front lip. Pm me if you are interested.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:36 AM

So, the last day of my 10 days off at the start of the year. The least said about the interruption of having to go into work last Tuesday the better (announcement of redundancies, and having to skills matrix my team to make one guy redundant).

Some small stuff done today. First, I needed to get rid of the modern dealer sticker on the rear window. I tried the other day, but it was hard and crispy, and wasn't coming off in one go. So I took Julies hair dryer to it, warmed it up, and it worked a treat...

Much cleaner...

I've primered the two US grilles and gave them a coat of a similar grey/anthracite paint that I had in the garage. I've not hit lucky, and it's not a good enough match, so I'm on the hunt for a can of KH2. I did however, face the new grilles up. They're sitting more proud than they would if they were fitted in properly, but the pics give an idea....

Standard UK/Euro grille

Meshed grille...

US grille...

Next up, I did a little cleaning in the engine bay....

Sunroof works...

although I did notice a crack in the glass (no water ingress that I can see)...

Something that pleased me, I wanted the headlight wipers both resting horizontal. The offside one works great, but the nearside one is quite random. After two or three presses of the button (on the centre console), the nearside one settled nicely, and that's where it'll stay now....

Lastly, I had a bit of a brain-dead moment. Cleaning the inside of the rear window, I noticed that the cleaner didn't smell like it usually did. A quick look at the bottle told me I was cleaning it with tyre dressing...doh...well, the bottles are identical. I just forgot to read the sticker....

Old 01-11-2016, 11:55 AM

Your gray paint actually looks like a pretty good match. Not sure if you all have something similar over there, but in the States there's a place (www.paintscratch.com) that will custom mix up an exact factory match paint color and put it into an aerosol can for you. I used to use them a lot back when I was making/selling mesh grilles ages ago.

Were you able to get all the tire shine off your rear glass?
Old 01-11-2016, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Your gray paint actually looks like a pretty good match. Not sure if you all have something similar over there, but in the States there's a place (www.paintscratch.com) that will custom mix up an exact factory match paint color and put it into an aerosol can for you. I used to use them a lot back when I was making/selling mesh grilles ages ago.

Were you able to get all the tire shine off your rear glass?
We've got similar paint companies over here, yes, and I sent one of them an email earlier. Just waiting to see what they can do.

Yea James, I did get the tyre shine off :-p
Old 01-12-2016, 09:17 PM

You found a very nice car that has been well maintained. And it appears that you will continue to do so.

But I did notice the support for the bonnet in your last group of photos. For some reason, I do not think that it is a factory original part.

There is a brand of lifts called Strongarm. If you can get them in the UK, I would strongly recommend them. I have replaced my share of lifts over the years, but the Strongarm brand lasts the longest.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You found a very nice car that has been well maintained. And it appears that you will continue to do so.

But I did notice the support for the bonnet in your last group of photos. For some reason, I do not think that it is a factory original part.

There is a brand of lifts called Strongarm. If you can get them in the UK, I would strongly recommend them. I have replaced my share of lifts over the years, but the Strongarm brand lasts the longest.
I have a set of Monroe ones ordered from a company called RockAuto in Madison, WI. They are on their way over the pond now.

Thanks for the info though.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:52 PM

I just remembered something you might be able to help me with!

I have a set of headlamp wipers, but the blades themselves are completely rotten

if you can find somewhere to get a replacement set of blades let me know i need a pair!
Old 01-14-2016, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik

+1 I replaced mine with the Strong Arm brand and they hold true to the name.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:00 AM

Brilliant saloon!
I have a feeling you are already aware of our timing belts and
interference motors in these cars
but just saying since no one else mentioned it that if any 3rd gen. MAXIMA deserved to have it changed on time with genuine nissan parts i would vote yours

I also noticed a few things different on yours ,the mirror switch,the gas and temp gauges,the font of the numbers on speedometer and tachometer(and our sohc vg30 cars only read to 125 mph)
the red lights in the door panels(maybe euro spec?),
and yours doesnt have our annoying little button
next to the igntion key to lock it in for some reason unknown

Last edited by maximagician; 01-16-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by maximagician
Brilliant saloon!
I have a feeling you are already aware of our timing belts and
interference motors in these cars
but just saying since no one else mentioned it that if any 3rd gen. MAXIMA deserved to have it changed on time with genuine nissan parts i would vote yours

I also noticed a few things different on yours ,the mirror switch,the gas and temp gauges,the font of the numbers on speedometer and tachometer(and our sohc vg30 cars only read to 125 mph)
the red lights in the door panels(maybe euro spec?),
and yours doesnt have our annoying little button
next to the igntion key to lock it in for some reason unknown
Thanks Tony. I'm aware of the timing belts, and I have all the parts already, so it will be changed in the next couple of weeks.

Didn't realise you guys didn't have the red courtesy lights in the door panels. Don't worry though, we also have the annoying little ignition switch haha.
Old 01-16-2016, 10:08 AM

Thanks Tony. I'm aware of the timing belts, and I have all the parts already, so it will be changed in the next couple of weeks.

Didn't realise you guys didn't have the red courtesy lights in the door panels. Don't worry though, we also have the annoying little ignition switch haha.
I put in some nice custom made blue LED's in the doors. Unless you want to stick with the stock ones you could put any colour you like.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:59 AM

So, only 10 days after ordering them from RockAuto in Madison, WI, I received my bonnet lifters today. Great service...

Name:  DSC_1942_zpsw22ws4bb.jpg
Views: 2869
Size:  2.77 MB

New wheels due on Wednesday, tyres will be on on Saturday, so there'll be a new look this weekend. Maxima.org and 4DSC stickers are on their way. Tin of KH2 paint for the grilles ordered. Lowering springs ordered yesterday too.

It's all go
Old 01-18-2016, 05:39 PM

Let's see the car magnet that Rock Auto sent you
Old 01-19-2016, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Let's see the car magnet that Rock Auto sent you
Name:  DSC_1945_zpszy7evtfy.jpg
Views: 2851
Size:  3.07 MB
Old 01-19-2016, 10:10 AM

Decals came today...

Name:  DSC_1943_zpsdki6bwcq.jpg
Views: 2819
Size:  2.74 MB
Old 01-19-2016, 03:17 PM

If you ever decide to tint the windows the white decals look sharp too. Looking good so far. You got yourself a nice clean 3rd gen.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:30 PM

Maxima looks great and I like what you doing with it. Who sells the decals??
Old 01-19-2016, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
If you ever decide to tint the windows the white decals look sharp too. Looking good so far. You got yourself a nice clean 3rd gen.
Tinting is definitely in the plans at some point. I've gone for decals in a subtle sort of 'gunmetal grey' colour to match the car.

Originally Posted by Tiniform
Maxima looks great and I like what you doing with it. Who sells the decals??
Thanks. For the decals, drop Ryan King a mail at KBR Custom Graphics:

kbrcustomgraphix@gmail.com
Old 01-19-2016, 11:59 PM

Oh, and NEW WHEELS COME TODAY!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2016, 09:01 AM

What kind of wheels are you getting? Are you going to lower the car a bit since you are getting new wheels?

Quick Reply: Geordie's UK 1994 3rd Gen Maxima