3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Swapping RE4F04V from A32 to J30 SE

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 05:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Swapping RE4F04V from A32 to J30 SE

it's my first post here so - hello Maxima maniacs!
I want to buy 3rd gen Maxima SE (I miss my old one) with damaged RE4F04V - at 100mph hit asphalt with tranny, it doesn't work anymore - 190 hp (142 kW) VE30DE engine works good though. I read that Maxima A32 from years 1995-1996 have also RE4F04V - someone could confirm this? Also, if its after all the same transmission - will it fit?
I'm from Europe and finding this tranny is almost impossible... My last hope is to buy tranny from newer Maxima.

PS. I don't know the shape of the trasmission which is damagen in car - so I assume it's completly dead after such "adventure"

Thanks in advance, bye!
Old 03-21-2016, 06:24 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by Orion Toth
it's my first post here so - hello Maxima maniacs!
I want to buy 3rd gen Maxima SE (I miss my old one) with damaged RE4F04V - at 100mph hit asphalt with tranny, it doesn't work anymore - 190 hp (142 kW) VE30DE engine works good though. I read that Maxima A32 from years 1995-1996 have also RE4F04V - someone could confirm this? Also, if its after all the same transmission - will it fit?
I'm from Europe and finding this tranny is almost impossible... My last hope is to buy tranny from newer Maxima.

PS. I don't know the shape of the trasmission which is damagen in car - so I assume it's completly dead after such "adventure"

Thanks in advance, bye!
The bellhousings are different so no, unfortunately the transmission won't swap in. The internals are the same, so something you could likely do is to use the 4th gen transmission to repair your 3rd gen transmission.

By the way, I wasn't aware the VE30DE ever made it to Europe. Where in Europe are you and what's the history on your car?
Old 03-22-2016, 09:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by James92SE
The bellhousings are different so no, unfortunately the transmission won't swap in. The internals are the same, so something you could likely do is to use the 4th gen transmission to repair your 3rd gen transmission.

By the way, I wasn't aware the VE30DE ever made it to Europe. Where in Europe are you and what's the history on your car?
Huge thanks for the info! Accordingly, same transmission from even newer Maxima will fit (of course after transplanting internals to J30 bellhousing)? I am not sure if that transmission was used in later than A32 Maxima's, do you have maybe some index of exact models with RE4F04V?

another question: do some 4th gen to 3th gen even exist? sorry for buch of such a questions, a LOVE this model and I must know everything to make a decision if I want invest in that car and if I can afford that.

And about VE30DE in Europe, I live in Poland and I bought J30 with VE30DE here, and now I want to buy again VE30DE Maxima, also avaible here in Poland. I think that fate likes me.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:31 AM

Several Nissans used the RE4F04 transmission - however this came in two versions, one with a limited slip differential and one without. The limited slip differential was known as the RE4F04V and the non-limited slip differential was known as the RE4F04A.

The internal parts on these transmissions are almost certainly identical between the RE4F04V and RE4F04A other than the actual differential itself. I know for a fact that this is the case on the manual transmissions (limited slip vs. non-limited slip) but as I've never worked on the automatic version I can't say with 100% certainty.

According to rebuild kit listings, the same transmission was found on the 97-03 Altima, as well as the 94-03 Quest, the 94-02 Mercury Villager (this was just a rebadged Quest), and then of course the 4th generation Maxima (95-99) as well as the Infiniti I30. I'm nearly certain the early 5th gens would have used the same one, so probably year 2000 and year 2001 Maximas had the same transmission as well.

Are you asking about a 4th gen complete powertrain swap into the 3rd gen? I don't know of any here in the States, but it wouldn't be too difficult of a swap for a "car guy" with decent fabrication skills.

Very cool about VE's in Poland. I had no idea. I always thought all of Europe was like Australia and Britain and elsewhere such that even the 92-94 SE's still had the VG engine.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by James92SE
Several Nissans used the RE4F04 transmission - however this came in two versions, one with a limited slip differential and one without. The limited slip differential was known as the RE4F04V and the non-limited slip differential was known as the RE4F04A.

The internal parts on these transmissions are almost certainly identical between the RE4F04V and RE4F04A other than the actual differential itself. I know for a fact that this is the case on the manual transmissions (limited slip vs. non-limited slip) but as I've never worked on the automatic version I can't say with 100% certainty.

According to rebuild kit listings, the same transmission was found on the 97-03 Altima, as well as the 94-03 Quest, the 94-02 Mercury Villager (this was just a rebadged Quest), and then of course the 4th generation Maxima (95-99) as well as the Infiniti I30. I'm nearly certain the early 5th gens would have used the same one, so probably year 2000 and year 2001 Maximas had the same transmission as well.

Are you asking about a 4th gen complete powertrain swap into the 3rd gen? I don't know of any here in the States, but it wouldn't be too difficult of a swap for a "car guy" with decent fabrication skills.

Very cool about VE's in Poland. I had no idea. I always thought all of Europe was like Australia and Britain and elsewhere such that even the 92-94 SE's still had the VG engine.
Oh, got so excited that I forgot about few things!

1. I wanted to ask if RE4F04A internals can replace internals in RE4F04V housing - but you already answered me this the best you could. (thanks!)

2. I know that my old Maxima was imported from USA, I will know history
of that "new" Maxima when I will buy it, and I will report everything

To sum up - as far as I'm concerned the best option will be buying A32 (4th gen) transmission (RE4F04V, and MAYBE RE4F04A), put internals in J30 tranny housing OR modify A32 tranny housing to fit in VE30DE. Am I right?

Once big THANKS for your responses, huge help for me!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:39 PM

I don't think you'll be able to modify the A32 tranny housing to fit the VE - unless you wanted to machine some sort of adapter plate to go between the VE and the A32 transmission. The bellhousings are shaped fairly significantly differently and likely isn't the type of scenario where only a few bolt holes don't line up type of thing.

I think your best bet is to swap the A32 internals into the VE housing.

Although - what exactly is wrong with the VE transmission? You said it hit asphalt at 100mph, if that is the case, wouldn't the actual VE housing be severely damaged?
Old 04-04-2016, 07:23 PM

Aaron92 was able to swap the bell housing from a VQ RE4F04A trans onto his VE RE4F04V transmission.

https://maxima.org/forums/all-motor/...ss-thread.html

So theoretically, the vice versa may work, but the other issue is the harness connectors will be different.