3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Noob with a new 94 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 11:44 AM

Noob with a new 94 Maxima

Hey guys I just bought my 94 maxima automatic with 240k on it a couple days ago for cheap (470$) only thing is my alternator is jacked up,how easy is it to replace it? Also I'm thinking about putting in a new exhaust and an intake with filter,if anyone has any tips on how I should start working on it or from where to begin then that would be great! Any tips on performance would also help
Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 PM

Welcome. Altenator on the 3rd gens isn't too difficult to replace yourself if your mechanically inclined. How is it running? Intead of worrying about performance mods for now your probably best to save your money andput it into starting with the simple things first as a new owner like starting with a tune up ie plugs, wires, cap and rotor and fuel filter. If your wanting to put in a cone style air filter check K&N or JWT etc. and perhaps finding out from the previous owner when the timing belt and water pump was done last being you have 240,000 on it. Just an opinion ofcoarse but maintenance should come before performance.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:15 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by Jskates420
Hey guys I just bought my 94 maxima automatic with 240k on it a couple days ago for cheap (470$) only thing is my alternator is jacked up,how easy is it to replace it? Also I'm thinking about putting in a new exhaust and an intake with filter,if anyone has any tips on how I should start working on it or from where to begin then that would be great! Any tips on performance would also help
Alternator is very easy and very accessible

I just posted a very rare Greddy complete bolt-on exhaust system in the classifieds.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Welcome. Altenator on the 3rd gens isn't too difficult to replace yourself if your mechanically inclined. How is it running? Intead of worrying about performance mods for now your probably best to save your money andput it into starting with the simple things first as a new owner like starting with a tune up ie plugs, wires, cap and rotor and fuel filter. If your wanting to put in a cone style air filter check K&N or JWT etc. and perhaps finding out from the previous owner when the timing belt and water pump was done last being you have 240,000 on it. Just an opinion ofcoarse but maintenance should come before performance.
Awwww man it runs like a beauty especially on perf mode I forgot to mention it's an SE aswell and as for the timing belt and water pump it's been a while I'm sure,but I'll get those things done asap! But it runs so good honestly
Old 04-18-2016, 05:15 PM

If you have a 1994 and it's an actual SE you don't have a timing belt FYI
Old 04-18-2016, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Thank you man I didn't know! In that case what do you recommend ?
Old 04-18-2016, 05:49 PM

Also where is the steering wheel fluid? As in where do I put it lol
Old 04-18-2016, 05:51 PM

Definitely work on the basic repair. like brakes and wear and tear stuff. I just finish a se timing CHAIN job and it a lot of work. my se had 230,000 miles before the timing chain went bad on me, so definitely plan on doing that really soon. I have a thread about my journey replacing the chain check it out. For the first 2 years I only did repairs before I even though of upgrades. good luck man
Old 04-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Thank you man I didn't know! In that case what do you recommend ?
If you have a 93, 94 ve (se) its a timing chain so you dont have to worry about changing a timing belt.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by TonyJr
Definitely work on the basic repair. like brakes and wear and tear stuff. I just finish a se timing CHAIN job and it a lot of work. my se had 230,000 miles before the timing chain went bad on me, so definitely plan on doing that really soon. I have a thread about my journey replacing the chain check it out. For the first 2 years I only did repairs before I even though of upgrades. good luck man
So I brought it to my dads mechanic and found out it was a faulty battery I have I'm going to buy a new one soon,and yes I'm going to do that start in the repairs and worry about the mods later,I'm glad there's a whole forum about maximas,you guys don't know how much I dislike Hondas hahahah
Old 04-18-2016, 11:00 PM

Dude wants mods F maintenance (Joking)you sound like you ready to go all out on some Hondas 420.....seriously bro relax and keep it safe. Listen to what ^ they said.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:55 AM

Also where is the steering wheel fluid? As in where do I put it lol
If your refering to the power steering fluid you'll find it under the hood lol. Look in the manual if it came with the car and familiarize yourself with where all your fluids go and you may want to check the halogen fluid in your headlights. Kidding about the halogen fluid but do familiarize yourself with all your fluid resevoirs. Especially oil. That ones important.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
Dude wants mods F maintenance (Joking)you sound like you ready to go all out on some Hondas 420.....seriously bro relax and keep it safe. Listen to what ^ they said.
hahah I'm going the other route maintenance first then mods 😭 Awww man I'm ready to take out some civics and accords lmao and hey 420 is tommorow haha but seriously though I need some work done on my car for example I need to fix my steering because it makes a horrible noise when I stear either way and it has fluid already :/
Old 04-19-2016, 09:18 AM

If your refering to the power steering fluid you'll find it under the hood lol. Look in the manual if it came with the car and familiarize yourself with where all your fluids go and you may want to check the halogen fluid in your headlights. Kidding about the halogen fluid but do familiarize yourself with all your fluid resevoirs. Especially oil. That ones important.
Awww man messing with The new guy (me) already hahahah
Old 04-20-2016, 12:08 AM

hahah I'm going the other route maintenance first then mods 😭 Awww man I'm ready to take out some civics and accords lmao and hey 420 is tommorow haha but seriously though I need some work done on my car for example I need to fix my steering because it makes a horrible noise when I stear either way and it has fluid already :/
As for the steering either you need to bleed the steering rack or pumps is on it way out.

Get use to driving to the junkyard for parts if you on a budget.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 AM

As for the steering either you need to bleed the steering rack or pumps is on it way out.

My pops mechanic had told me to buy some stop leak fluid for my steering? Is that right?
Old 04-20-2016, 09:55 AM

I don't mind looking in the junkyard for parts,honestly I've looked forward to the day I bought a maxima and I finally did it I've always said I want a 3rd gen maxima since I was 15 and now I'm 21 and I finally did it hahah so I don't care wasting some cash here and there for my baby
Old 04-20-2016, 04:27 PM

My pops mechanic had told me to buy some stop leak fluid for my steering? Is that right?
Doesn't hurt. So yes pick up some Lucas power steering stop leak and see if that helps. Just don't over fill it.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:40 PM

Doesn't hurt. So yes pick up some Lucas power steering stop leak and see if that helps. Just don't over fill it.
Quick question,if it already has steering fluid in it do I still pour that Lucas stop leak? Because I'll go buy some right now
Old 04-20-2016, 07:30 PM

Quick question,if it already has steering fluid in it do I still pour that Lucas stop leak? Because I'll go buy some right now
Yes you can add the Lucas to the power steering fluid but check the resevoir first. If its full you may have to drain a little fluid before you add it.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 AM

Yes you can add the Lucas to the power steering fluid but check the resevoir first. If its full you may have to drain a little fluid before you add it.
so I added the Lucas to the power steering then added some power steering fluid and wow that noise is gone and it turns like a beauty last night I ran it from Los Angeles to a little passing San Bernardino which is like 2 hours of a drive and it gave me no problems I already bought a bigger battery since the one it had before was way to small and I already added a new exhaust haha
Old 04-21-2016, 04:27 PM

so I added the Lucas to the power steering then added some power steering fluid and wow that noise is gone and it turns like a beauty last night I ran it from Los Angeles to a little passing San Bernardino which is like 2 hours of a drive and it gave me no problems I already bought a bigger battery since the one it had before was way to small and I already added a new exhaust haha
Good to hear
Old 04-21-2016, 10:28 PM

Good to hear
Help me!!! It won't start Te battery is good and all so it can be the starter cause it doesn't even crank! Help me is this easy or something to fix?!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:42 PM

Good to hear
You can't even hear a click or anything while trying to turn it on? I read on the org that it can be a relay of some sort? Any help would be appreciated as this is my first car owning
Old 04-21-2016, 11:54 PM

Did you check the new battery you installed ? Loose connection maybe? Are the lights in the car on ?
Old 04-22-2016, 03:40 AM

Help me!!! It won't start Te battery is good and all so it can be the starter cause it doesn't even crank! Help me is this easy or something to fix?!
Put it in neutral and try to start it. If it starts then you have a bad shifter bushing. It's like a $2 part.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:41 AM

Do as James say
Old 04-22-2016, 04:33 AM

Put it in neutral and try to start it. If it starts then you have a bad shifter bushing. It's like a $2 part.
Very true. If the shifter bushings are worn you might put the shifter to park and its not actually all the way up into park. Either turn the key to acc and squeeze the shifter button and give it that little extra nudge up into park or like James said start the car in neutral. If that doesnt work and you dont hear a click at all when cranking it over it could be a bad starter also make sure the cables are good and tight on the battery terminals.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:11 AM

The shifter bushing is somewhat common in my experience. It used to happen to me all the time on my original VE auto back in the day. It got to the point where almost every time I was having to put it into neutral to start it. Eventually it wouldn't work in neutral anymore and I had to put in neutral, try it, put it back into park, try it, back to neutral, etc. and it would eventually start. This was almost 15 years ago now.

Since then I have actually come across TWO instances of people stranded in parking lots in VE autos that wouldn't start for seemingly no reason. One was a very distraught lady with kids. I was walking out to my car and instantly spotted a VE in the parking lot and a lady staring into the engine bay. She said it wouldn't start and that she'd been stuck there for 20 minutes and I noticed it was an autotragic, and thought a-ha to myself so I asked her to let me try. Put it in neutral and it instantly started. She was amazed and thought I was some sort of genius/savant/hero
Old 04-22-2016, 10:58 AM

The shifter bushing is somewhat common in my experience. It used to happen to me all the time on my original VE auto back in the day. It got to the point where almost every time I was having to put it into neutral to start it. Eventually it wouldn't work in neutral anymore and I had to put in neutral, try it, put it back into park, try it, back to neutral, etc. and it would eventually start. This was almost 15 years ago now.

Since then I have actually come across TWO instances of people stranded in parking lots in VE autos that wouldn't start for seemingly no reason. One was a very distraught lady with kids. I was walking out to my car and instantly spotted a VE in the parking lot and a lady staring into the engine bay. She said it wouldn't start and that she'd been stuck there for 20 minutes and I noticed it was an autotragic, and thought a-ha to myself so I asked her to let me try. Put it in neutral and it instantly started. She was amazed and thought I was some sort of genius/savant/hero
You forgot magician lol
Old 04-22-2016, 11:05 AM

You forgot magician lol
Guys!!!! I forgot to mention the weirdest part of it all! Last night when it didn't turn on it kept flashing a high beam(my right side to be exact) even though the car was off and nothing was on it kept flashing the light I didn't what the hell it was since my high beams weren't on
Old 04-22-2016, 11:07 AM

So I did as you said and it didn't turn on so is that good?
Old 04-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Also I can't stress this enough there are times I'm driving and it stutters when the rpm goes up :/ and then if I let the gas go it stops doing it
Old 04-22-2016, 04:07 PM

Also I can't stress this enough there are times I'm driving and it stutters when the rpm goes up :/ and then if I let the gas go it stops doing it

Thought you said it ran nice?? Give it a good tune up ie. plugs, wires, filters etc. and check your vacume lines over for any vacume leaks, cracks etc. As for your stalling it could be any number of things fuel pump being one of them if its stalling and your having problems starting and the shifter wasnt the culprit but headlight flashing sounds like an electrical gremlin.

Last edited by ac max 92; 04-22-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:52 PM

Thought you said it ran nice?? Give it a good tune up ie. plugs, wires, filters etc. and check your vacume lines over for any vacume leaks, cracks etc. As for your stalling it could be any number of things fuel pump being one of them if its stalling and your having problems starting and the shifter wasnt the culprit but headlight flashing sounds like an electrical gremlin.
Dude I thought it did I mean it runs smooth but at very random random times it does that also rarely but other than that my car runs good haha the tune up is gonna happen in like 5days
Old 04-22-2016, 05:41 PM

Being you have an se you could have a coil or 2 that may need changing aswell.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:00 PM

Being you have an se you could have a coil or 2 that may need changing aswell.
What type of coil are we talking about here? Remember I'm still a noobie
Old 04-22-2016, 06:20 PM

Noob with a new 94 Maxima-photo40.jpg
Old 04-22-2016, 06:21 PM

Here's my front
Attached Thumbnails Noob with a new 94 Maxima-photo101.jpg  
Old 04-22-2016, 06:29 PM

Noob with a new 94 Maxima-photo668.jpg

Quick Reply: Noob with a new 94 Maxima