3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Is 190k too many miles for a 91 Maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002 | 11:12 PM
Alexmom

Is 190k too many miles for a 91 Maxima?

I'm thinking of purchasing my son a 91 Maxima. I believe it is the GXE model, as it has the keyless entry.

I'm wondering many miles can be put on this year vehicle. The one I'm looking at has 190k. Is this too much? It has apparently been maintained well. At this mileage, what large problems could we expect?

I really appreciate any feedback. I've been scouring the internet to see what the opinion is on how many miles these cars will last, and can't find a thing. We're going to look at it tomorrow, and there are many people interested - so I want to be informed so I can make an offer if we feel it is right.
Old 01-30-2002 | 12:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well I think as a generalization cars with really high miles will still be good for a while IF they've been maintained.

Of course, given the age and milage you can expect alot of the usual high milage items to need careful inspection or replacement. Suspension parts, engine peripherals (water pump, alternator, AC system, etc), the exhaust system.... The transmission is getting old too and I really hope the timing belt has been changed at some point! Try to find out its repair/maintenace history.

But sometimes these parts can last a while on their own or if maintained, so if I were buying I'd make sure it thoroughly checks out okay mechanically (especially the transmission, which is notorious). If there seems to be hints of problems or neglect, or you're unsure, move on and find a car in better condition. Lower milage doesn't necessarily mean better condition.

I don't know if certain Auto Associations have inspection services like mine does, but you can find out.

Oh yeah, and I'm sure of a few members who've gone over 200,000 miles. Try searching for "highest milage" or "how many miles" and such. This has been discussed to death I think!
Old 01-30-2002 | 01:29 AM

Re: Is 190k too many miles for a 91 Maxima?

Originally posted by Alexmom
I'm thinking of purchasing my son a 91 Maxima. I believe it is the GXE model, as it has the keyless entry.

I'm wondering many miles can be put on this year vehicle. The one I'm looking at has 190k. Is this too much? It has apparently been maintained well. At this mileage, what large problems could we expect?

I really appreciate any feedback. I've been scouring the internet to see what the opinion is on how many miles these cars will last, and can't find a thing. We're going to look at it tomorrow, and there are many people interested - so I want to be informed so I can make an offer if we feel it is right.
190000 is not that high compared to what I have seen but if its at the right price and good maintnance and condition go for it
Old 01-30-2002 | 02:08 AM

Hey how abou this one... Click here>>>>>look at the mileage
Old 01-30-2002 | 07:24 AM

that 400 k maxima is wild!

i know at the dealership where my dad works they have a 3rd gen that has over 300 k on it in there showroom !!

190 isnt that bad i suppose.. ive only got 126 on mine.. which makes me feel good now

but i agree... milage and age are nothing compared to maintance

do a full blown inspection of the car...
watch for the rotors being worked out.. assorted exaust problems...
struts/springs that maybe badly worn. and of course check the entire engine. alot of people dont change oil every 3000 miles... and man that can add up.... and as mentioned before.. timing belt is a MUST to have been replaced...

and check for flood damage and accidents even fender benders... you can usually tell by paint jobs that are only covering one component.

if you have a good mechanic you know.. take it by have in do a full blown inspection

it is important to remember this car IS 10 years old.. so expect there to be a few things that need repairing

but if its a good buy and the car was actually taken care of go for it.. i love mine
Old 01-30-2002 | 07:49 AM

Chillzz.. i have no miles at all

i have seen 3rd gen. max's wop me and had 250k on them ... im guessing the Vg power is always there.

-my max has only 79k but i drive a **** load... trying to sell it if i can .... i realy want a newer 240sx 5speed but i would take a max 3rd gen 5 speed, with 100k on it.. you can always rebuild the engine
Old 01-30-2002 | 09:23 AM
Alexmom

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your opinions. The asking price is $3,500 firm. It has supposedly been maintained well. I'll check out the entire engine, and will also ask about the timing belt and transmission. I haven't seen it yet, but owner says it looks great inside and out.

Alexmom
Old 01-30-2002 | 09:52 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

personally i wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft. pole unless 1) it was cheap and 2) the owner can provide sufficient records of maintenance which should include oil changes, transmission service and of course big ticket items such as timing belt, water pump, exhaust studs etc. Buying a car at that mileage you can expect things to go wrong and investing money into getting things repaired. Take it to a mechanic and have it looked at as well prior to purchasing...
Old 01-30-2002 | 10:08 AM

My 89 GXE has nearly 192,000 miles - runs as well as when I bought it with 26,500 miles on the odometer. The only major problem I've had was my own fault... I've changed the motor oil every 3000 miles but I never changed the tranny fluid (doh!). Transmission went out at 172,000 miles. I've replaced some of the typical stuff (timing belt, accessory belts, plug wires, rotors, heater core, struts, and alternator). The only chronic problem I've had is dirty fuel injectors... I was spending about $400 every 3 years to have an injector replaced. I found some injector cleaner called "44K" and I haven't had a problem since. I really think this car will go another
100,000 with no major repairs.
Old 01-30-2002 | 10:21 AM

I'd also suggest..

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post your opinions. The asking price is $3,500 firm. It has supposedly been maintained well. I'll check out the entire engine, and will also ask about the timing belt and transmission. I haven't seen it yet, but owner says it looks great inside and out.

Alexmom

that if after thoroughly inspecting the car, you decide to go ahead and buy it, get as much as possible in writing from the owner declaring (in as much detail) the condition and maintenance history. Make a list if you have to and have him initial each item.

Just an added assurance/insurance that everything is on the up and up.

That's what I would do, personally. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2002 | 10:57 AM

Re: I'd also suggest..

Personally, I would not care how well it was maintained, $3,500 is too much. Ask yourself if it's worth it to spend $3,500 now and having to spend more on repairs.

Granted that this car could last another 50k miles, but we I think 99% of people would be skeptical of that. 190k is a lot..

If you're willing to spend $3,500 then you could wait a little longer and get another Maxima with lower miles for the same price or get another car..
Old 01-30-2002 | 02:33 PM

Another Story -

I thought I got a deal buying a 90 SE from a relative who I knew had done at least oil changes for $2500. Its very clean, but since I've received it, I'm in for (not including my hard labor):

2 window regulators $110
New battery $50
New Muffler $100
Y-Pipe $200
Shocks/Struts $175

Left to do:

Replace B(l)ose $400
New Tires $500
16" Wheels $365
Fix Sunroof Liner $150

I'm afraid to add it up, but that's what its taken to get this thing in good running condition. Its better than new in some respects but I got it at 126K, and now it better get me to 250K!
Old 01-30-2002 | 08:21 PM
Alexmom

Thanks, everyone

Thanks for all of your great advice. Based on that, and what a few mechanics told me, we decided to not get the Maxima. I would have loved to get him a Maxima (had one myself for 10 years - a 1982). But we found a nice Saturn SC coupe, top of the line, excellent condition, 1993, only 97k miles, cute with a spoiler, leather interior, etc. And it was only $3,900. So we did good, I believe.

Thanks again for all your help. It prevented me from possibly making a mistake. I feel much better with this newer car and the lower mileage.

Alex's Mom
Old 01-30-2002 | 08:30 PM

then there are the other problems...

there are always the common problems to look out for too...like broken antenna, broken window regulators...i'm sure there'd be more fun things to name, but i'm too tired...
Old 01-30-2002 | 08:42 PM

though i hate to send away possible maxima.orgers i think you made a more informed decision

keep posting.. will be nice to hear from you
Old 01-30-2002 | 08:46 PM

Re: Thanks, everyone

cute with a spoiler
i like that...
Old 01-30-2002 | 10:19 PM

HI I OWN NISSAN MAXIMA 94 GXE LUXURY. since I own last OCT '01 81,000 then now almost 86,000 mileages.. I love 3rd generation. my dad lease maxima se 2000.