3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel tank strap lengths

Old 07-28-2016, 12:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Fuel tank strap lengths

Dropped the tank to get to the parallel arm bolt. My other strap is rusted so badly is has broken at some point and was "fixed" with steel wire. Other one seems to be relatively okay although rusted and the part that is used to attach fuel tank shield is rusted broken.

Anyway I'm going to fab new straps and it would help a lot if someone could tell me if the straps are equal length or is the passenger side (right side) strap different length?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:33 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

99% positive they're equal. I've never thought to measure but everytime I've ever dropped a 3rd gen tank, the straps have always looked totally symmetrical and same length to me.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:53 AM

It may be cost effective to fab them but i believe spectra parts still makes them too if you decide you want to get them pre fabbed and ready to go. I remember getting a set from spectra when mine snapped just after starting up the car in a parking lot. Glad i wasnt driving at the time. Just remember to put some rubber insulators between the tank and the straps. I wasn't able to get the rubber insulators 3rd gen specific but i just went to a trucking company where they have the rubber by the rolls and sell it by the foot. Just had to take an exacto and trim to the right width. Im suprised you had to drop the tank to get to the parallel arm bolts if you refering to the ones attatched to the rear subframe.

Last edited by ac max 92; 07-29-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ac max 92
It may be cost effective to fab them but i believe spectra parts still makes them too if you decide you want to get them pre fabbed and ready to go. I remember getting a set from spectra when mine snapped just after starting up the car in a parking lot. Glad i wasnt driving at the time. Just remember to put some rubber insulators between the tank and the straps. I wasn't able to get the rubber insulators 3rd gen specific but i just went to a trucking company where they have the rubber by the rolls and sell it by the foot. Just had to take an exacto and trim to the right width. Im suprised you had to drop the tank to get to the parallel arm bolts if you refering to the ones attatched to the rear subframe.
Actually I live in Finland (just realized it didn't show on my profile), so I don't think it would be cost effective to get them from spectra.

I'm going to use the rubbers that the old straps had since they seem to be in good condition.

Yes, I'm referring to ones that are attached to the rear subframe. Number 18 on this image: http://nissan4u.com/parts/maxima/el_...llustration_1/
I didn't mention earlier but I'm going to replace the bushings on parallel arms, so I need to get that bolt out completely and can't see how it would be possible without removing either the fuel tank or the subframe from the car.