3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

auto sticking in first gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 06:07 AM
evilflip

auto sticking in first gear

On my Automatic 94 GXE Maxima I am having a problem with the transmission sticking in first gear. This usually happens when I first start to drive the car and is more previlent when it is cold outside. Once car has been on the road for a while it is better. After it is warm it does still go back and forth between 1st and 2nd quite often when driving between 25 and 35 MPH. It also shifts a little rough when it does go into second. Like the RPMs were to high before it shifts. The rest of the gears shift smooth. Finaly my question: Do I need a new tranny or possibly just part of the tranny. I would like a bit of an education as I know nothing about transmissions. I am taking it to a new shop next week but do not know if they are honest or not. In my experience most shops will recomend a complete tranny replacement because its more $ for them and they don't have to isolate the problem.

Old 01-30-2002, 07:28 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: auto sticking in first gear

I assume you have already checked the fluid? Check the level and the condition of the fluid. How long has it been since you had a fluid change? And how many miles are on the tranny?

When I first bought my car, I got a full tranny fluid flush done on it. And it did wonders for the shifting. It got a lot smoother.
Old 01-30-2002, 08:11 PM

you might wanna check ya power and comfort button next to your change holder under the ashtray. when its on power, ya rpms are increased a lil bit which causes you to stay in first gear a lil longer...if i'm not mistaken, thats how it is wit my max!!!
Old 01-30-2002, 08:58 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: auto sticking in first gear

I was told once that when its cold the tranny doesn't shift out of first until it reaches optimum operationg temp of 140 degrees! as for the rough shifting check yout fluid level like was already mentioned...also you might want to run a diagnostic (turn the car on, let it warm up, turn the car off, turn key to "ON" position, watch the "Power light" on the Power/Comfort switch, if it blinks once everything is fine is it blinks more than once there is an electrical malfunction)...malfunctionion drop down resistor might cause rough shifting I would imagine a solenoid could as well. I doubt you need a new tranny though....I've been through 3 malfunctioning trannys, and the symptoms you describe are rather minor, I say have the fluid changed and check the diagnostic....and if you are really worried goto Aamco and have them do the external check and test drive for $50, its well worth it in order for you to have some piece of mind! good luck!!!
Old 01-30-2002, 09:01 PM

yeah..thats what i was sayin

DA-MAX put it in a more technical form, but that was what i was sayin also..lmao
Old 01-30-2002, 09:31 PM
evilflip

thanks for the info. To answer your questions. I did have the tranny flushed and filled with new fluid this past summer and I checked the level recently. Would warming the car up for a longer period of time help? I'm taking it to a shop that a freind recomended. He went to 3 shops before he got an honest diagnostic of his tranny. Turns out he didn't need a new tranny like they all said but just the overdrive replaced.