3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Digital spedo/HUD not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Digital spedo/HUD not working

I recently bought a 1991 Maxima SE. when I bought it the Digital speedometer and HUD did not display. the guy bought another and that also did not work. I've read a couple of different threads and tried to go through the check list. no fuses are blown. the climate control lights up and the tail lights are working. the horn does not work. there is an aftermarket stereo installed. im considering installing an analog cluster. is it a straight swap or do I need a new wiring harness? any help would be appreciated. TIA
Old 08-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

there is a difference in wiring between the analog and digital.

FWIW the digital gauge only came in the GXE models. it's possible someone retrofit a digital cluster and HUD in yours.
Old 08-30-2016, 12:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thanks! I realized yesterday that I have the GXE. I was able to find a analog cluster with the wiring harness at the junkyard. im heading back there today to retrieve a TCU(time control unit) in hopes that that's the issue. I did replace the fuse relay from the fuse bix underneath the hood and that fixed my horn issue so im wondering if I need to replace anything like that in that fuse box or the one under the dash. im not sure if those have anything to do with the digital cluster or not. initially the cluster did not light up, the horn did not work and the climate control did not display. I have resolved everything but the cluster display.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by willh007
thanks! I realized yesterday that I have the GXE. I was able to find a analog cluster with the wiring harness at the junkyard. im heading back there today to retrieve a TCU(time control unit) in hopes that that's the issue. I did replace the fuse relay from the fuse bix underneath the hood and that fixed my horn issue so im wondering if I need to replace anything like that in that fuse box or the one under the dash. im not sure if those have anything to do with the digital cluster or not. initially the cluster did not light up, the horn did not work and the climate control did not display. I have resolved everything but the cluster display.
You also have to change the fuel sending unit as the digital cluster uses a different unit from the analog cluster.