3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

What is the Drop Resistor (93 GXE)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2002, 08:00 PM
rossbay

What is the Drop Resistor (93 GXE)

In an earlier thread it was suggested that power problems could be due problems with the "drop resistor" Can any what explain what/where this part does /is ? Thanks

R.

Old 01-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: What is the Drop Resistor (93 GXE)

"Drop Down resistor"?? if I'm correct it controls the trannys line pressure....when unplugged the tranny shifts at 100% line pressure(car will shift VERY harshly!), thus I suppose when plugged in the TCU regulates the amount of pressure and shifting is smoother and less harsh.

Originally posted by rossbay
In an earlier thread it was suggested that power problems could be due problems with the "drop resistor" Can any what explain what/where this part does /is ? Thanks

R.
Old 01-31-2002, 03:47 AM

The drop resistor does exactly what DA-MAX said: it controls how hard the tranny shifts. By disconnecting it the tranny will shift very hard and the car becomes almost undrivable. I know this from first hand experience and I would never recommend disconnecting it at all. On the VG engine, the part is located underneath the air intake box that houses the air filter. You gotta take that big old box out of there and underneath it the drop resistor will look like a silver rectangle about half an inch by three inches. It will have two wires running into it. It will also be screwed to the engine bay. If you need a replacement part, the only place that I called that had a clue what I was talking about was www.courtesyparts.com Even they had to get some old dude who has been around for a long time to talk to me and get the part number for me. I still have the part number somewhere and I can get it if you need it.
Old 01-31-2002, 06:26 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally posted by Cincy94Max
The drop resistor does exactly what DA-MAX said: it controls how hard the tranny shifts. By disconnecting it the tranny will shift very hard and the car becomes almost undrivable. I know this from first hand experience and I would never recommend disconnecting it at all. On the VG engine, the part is located underneath the air intake box that houses the air filter. You gotta take that big old box out of there and underneath it the drop resistor will look like a silver rectangle about half an inch by three inches. It will have two wires running into it. It will also be screwed to the engine bay. If you need a replacement part, the only place that I called that had a clue what I was talking about was www.courtesyparts.com Even they had to get some old dude who has been around for a long time to talk to me and get the part number for me. I still have the part number somewhere and I can get it if you need it.

These gentlemen are absolutely correct...don't ever unplug it or you'll hate driving your max....leave it plugged...I might get a new one if it will improve shifting....how much do they run Cincy94? get me the part number Please
Old 01-31-2002, 04:15 PM

It's around $40, but since it's an OEM part, you can use your maxima.org discount. Add in shipping and it will probably be around $40. The guy told me that they don't keep this part in stock so it would be at least two days before they could even get the part themselves. The part number from Courtesy Nissan is:
31037-85E00
Old 01-31-2002, 08:45 PM
STFU n00b!

Uhhhh, a resistor is a resistor.. it doesn't "wear out" like other mechanical parts. this is an electrical part. the only way it could be damaged is if you physically smashed it and messed it up. there is no need to buy a new one.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Uhhhh, a resistor is a resistor.. it doesn't "wear out" like other mechanical parts. this is an electrical part. the only way it could be damaged is if you physically smashed it and messed it up. there is no need to buy a new one.
Or you could strip the wires from the resistor like I did.