3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Audio help--tried other forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002, 06:27 PM

Audio help--tried other forum

Hey guys. I have a 93 se with bose. I recently bought everything to replace it. I bought 4" pioneer for the front doors, some pioneer 6X9 for the rear speakers, a pioneer cd deck, 2 10" mtx subs, and a jbl bp600.1 amp. I found some site with instructions on how to remove the door and the front speakers but I came across the problem of putting my new speakers in the spot of the bose ones. I know you can do different things by modifying (sp?) the bracket but I was wondering if there is somewhere i can get some brackets that will hold my pioneer 4" nicely and not have to do any modifications to it. Also after I removed the whole bose thing from the door, I noticed the speaker but then like a silver metal thing to in the corner of the fixture. is that the amp for the speaker? I have to remove that as well to play new speakers right. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:10 PM

Door Pods

I made replacement door pods. 1/4" hardboard backing plate (in the same shape as the Bose, and a "sandwich" of three layers of 3/4" MDF glued/screwed on top of it. I measured the angle of incline and used a table saw to cut the fronts (2 passes, top and bottom while passing the sandwich through the saw vertically. Then beltsanding until the pod clears the door panels, then cut and recess the speaker mounting. I mounted 6-1/2s that way.

It's more work, but much sturdier and rattlefree than mounting speakers into the Bose pods.

I have a nice picture of my pods next to Bose, but don't know how to post it. Any hint to that effect and I'll forward the pic.

Just one person's approach to a challenge which, I am sure, has many solutions.

John
Old 01-31-2002, 10:27 PM

left it all in

i left the bose pods in the doors and i was able to install 3-way 5 1/2 pioneers in the pods with no rattle or nothin...still looks pretty good with the bose grill on and off since the color of the cone on tha speaker matches my interior.
Old 01-31-2002, 11:54 PM

F it, I got tired of trying to measure out the perfect speaker
brackets for the car so I just tore up the stock bose pod, cut it out, put a 6.5 in it and sealed it up nice and good with caulk
sounds good enough for me, and I'm pretty picky about sound
Old 02-01-2002, 05:30 AM

Re: Audio help--tried other forum

Originally posted by atulb84
Hey guys. I have a 93 se with bose. I recently bought everything to replace it. I bought 4" pioneer for the front doors, some pioneer 6X9 for the rear speakers, a pioneer cd deck, 2 10" mtx subs, and a jbl bp600.1 amp. I found some site with instructions on how to remove the door and the front speakers but I came across the problem of putting my new speakers in the spot of the bose ones. I know you can do different things by modifying (sp?) the bracket but I was wondering if there is somewhere i can get some brackets that will hold my pioneer 4" nicely and not have to do any modifications to it. Also after I removed the whole bose thing from the door, I noticed the speaker but then like a silver metal thing to in the corner of the fixture. is that the amp for the speaker? I have to remove that as well to play new speakers right. Thanks in advance guys.
i'd recommend returning the 6x9's and get 6.5" instead for the back. when you take the bose equipment out, you'll see the 6x9s are bottom mounted to a bose bracket. then, when you take the rear deck off (requires back seat removal), you'll see that the bose brackets attached to a hole that would mount 6.5" speakers..there would be a bunch of wasted speaker area with 6x9s.

also, if you're handy with wiring and dont feel bad about mangling your wiring, i can tell you how to bypass the bose amps, but its pretty messy and time consuming..but it works and i couldnt find another way to do it..