3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Rockauto, HUD and Beck & Arnley???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:32 PM

Rockauto, HUD and Beck & Arnley???

Been awhile guys. So 3 things come to mind and it's in the title bar. How often does anyone on here buy parts from rockauto.com? Second, who has the measurements for the HUD tint for the windshield? Lastly, anyone buy CV axles from the beck & arnley brand? Need everyone's input. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:33 PM

whenever i can't find parts locally or on the site, i order from rockauto. They're pretty reliable in my experience
Old 01-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

for axles/alternators/starters i tend to buy locally. AAP/Vatozone/pep gurls/etc.
if there's an warranty issues it can go back and swapped w/o down time. for rock auto you'll need to buy a new one, swap it and ship it back.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:35 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

I have been buying from Rock Auto for years and years and years and years. The only time I don't use Rock Auto is if it's something I need ASAP and I have to buy locally.

Rock Auto is the bomb. Fantastic catalog and awesome prices. Plus they send you those magnets you can decorate your fridge with

Although Dan is right about alternators/starters/etc. I have actually in over 16 years of owning 3rd gens never once ever had to buy an aftermarket or rebuilt starter or alternator for any of my 3rd gens. I just had a few extra OEM JY ones I've used as spares over the years and used those.

My Civic however I have gone through multiple alternators and those I try to buy locally for the warranty. I bought a Rock Auto one on closeout (it was only like $30) once and it crapped out in a few months so that was annoying.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:59 AM

The reflective area on the windshield is about 3x2" if I remember correctly from the one I had. That might be in "portrait" ratio as well, I can't remember for sure. I just go with clear glass. If you're going to put tint there, try some of that illegal mirror stuff, it would be the best way to mimic the coating on the OEM glass.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:11 PM

Ok the reason I asked about rockauto is because I was looking into buying axles for my 3rd gen. I bought them before from advance auto but for some reason I kept getting vibrations once I shifted to 2nd gear and those were GSP brand. Returned them in a heartbeat and just had my old ones rebuilt. Now those are bad and that's why I'm asking about the beck and arnley brand for axles instead of GSP.

HUD still working on that. Just replaced my front windshield again and this time I tinted the whole glass with a 30 percent film. I'll then cut the extra film to size for the HUD later.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:20 PM

If you have a napa near you that would be best to get an axle in right away and keep on moving. beck and arnley would be close to an advanced auto/autozone axle, its the parts they sell(I worked in both stores).

*Edit* just checked rockauto. I can see why you asked, those axles are $20 each. thats cheap lol. If you want something that will likely last i would buy the Cardone axle. Remember in this case you get what you pay for. But Rockauto is the ****. I just bought all new suspension from them.

Last edited by Crusher103; 02-14-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
Ok the reason I asked about rockauto is because I was looking into buying axles for my 3rd gen. I bought them before from advance auto but for some reason I kept getting vibrations once I shifted to 2nd gear and those were GSP brand. Returned them in a heartbeat and just had my old ones rebuilt.
I agree ,cheap and worn axles cause vibration and looseness felt when cruising in gear and when you gas it and let go and re-gas and let go one can feel the clunk also when working on it and grabbing cv halfshaft and
trying to wiggle/twist and go side to side
it is obvious when cv axles have worn joints/were rebuilt or are just cheap
good ones are balanced like driveshafts too
OH AND THE CHEAP carrier bearings, when my cheap"new"axles were worn id get a slight sqweek from the carrier bearing,kinda like a brake pad wear tab just starting to skim a warped brake rotor once per rotation consistant with driving speed
oiling it singled it out but would swqeek agian later

Last edited by maximagician; 02-16-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
If you have a napa near you that would be best to get an axle in right away and keep on moving. beck and arnley would be close to an advanced auto/autozone axle, its the parts they sell(I worked in both stores).

*Edit* just checked rockauto. I can see why you asked, those axles are $20 each. thats cheap lol. If you want something that will likely last i would buy the Cardone axle. Remember in this case you get what you pay for. But Rockauto is the ****. I just bought all new suspension from them.
So the Cardone axle is the better brand? I hope it's better than the GSP crap I bought in the past. I will also buy my suspension parts from Rockauto.