3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Auto to Manual conversion 1993 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Auto to Manual conversion 1993 Maxima

Hi

I am just confirming that to convert this is not such a mission as long as you get all the parts from a manual 3rd generation.

From an electrical perspective the only connection required is for the reverse light ?

I will get the pedals, flywheel, linkages, gear stick, center console and manual starter motor, gearbox. The clutch slave and master cylinder with piping. I will have to cut a hole in the body to mount the master cylinder.

The side shafts are the same for both manual and automatic as far as I know.

Anything else I need to take into account ?

Thanks

Roy
Old 02-01-2017, 04:57 AM

Need a ve transmission? I have one for sale pm me if interested
Old 02-01-2017, 07:46 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

If you have a VE you absolutely definitely need the carrier bearing bracket from a manual VE. This is the bracket that bolts to the block on the firewall side and supports the passenger side axle in the center long section. The auto and manual ones LOOK nearly identical but are actually different.

I want to say on the VE that the auto vs manual axles are different too. I remember laying both auto and manual ones out side by side, measuring them, everything and by all accounts they were literally identical in every regard. Yet somehow they were/are technically different units with different part numbers IIRC. I don't remember if I actually tried to use the "auto" axles in the manual but for whatever reason I did and do still use "manual" axles in my swapped car.

You will also need to wire in the cruise control cancel switch as well as the new clutch pedal safety switch. It's been probably 10 years since I did my auto to manual conversion so I can't remember exactly but I want to say all I did was wire mine to the brake pedal switch wiring.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:05 PM

I have read this before about the carrier bearing bracket but I am very sure I did not change mine when I did my swap even though I had taken the bracket when I crabbed all the other pieces from the donor VE for my swap. I could not see a difference between the two so I didn't bother to replace mine.
I must stipulate my car is a Gxe so I don't know if that makes a difference. As far as I can tell, I had zero issues not replacing the carrier bearing.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:17 AM

I am nearly absolutely certain that tried to use my auto carrier bearing bracket at first because I too could not find any physical difference - but the axle did NOT want to line up/fit with the auto carrier bearing bracket.

I'm only speaking about VE's here. VG's may be different and be able to use the same carrier bearing bracket for all I know (and sounds like this is the case from your experience).
Old 02-14-2017, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by indep406
Hi

I am just confirming that to convert this is not such a mission as long as you get all the parts from a manual 3rd generation.

From an electrical perspective the only connection required is for the reverse light ?

I will get the pedals, flywheel, linkages, gear stick, center console and manual starter motor, gearbox. The clutch slave and master cylinder with piping. I will have to cut a hole in the body to mount the master cylinder.

The side shafts are the same for both manual and automatic as far as I know.

Anything else I need to take into account ?

Thanks

Roy
Been over 10 years since I did my conversion. You will need:
Transmission
Flywheel
New clutch kit
Pedal
Shifter and linkages
Slave cylinder
Master cylinder
One of the mounts is the same between auto and manual on a VG

I used a VG SE trans not the VE SE trans. I would get the VE SE 5speed trans then you will also need:
Axles
Mounts?
Axle carrier bracket

Electrically wise I just rewired the connector and used the 4 critical wires from transmission side to start the car, having the cruise control and reverse lights to work. I didn't mess with the wiring for the ASCD/ACSD and on the pedal. I basically found which wires control those features from the auto harness and wired it onto the connector that plugs into the trans connector and taped up the remaining wiring up.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
I am nearly absolutely certain that tried to use my auto carrier bearing bracket at first because I too could not find any physical difference - but the axle did NOT want to line up/fit with the auto carrier bearing bracket.

I'm only speaking about VE's here. VG's may be different and be able to use the same carrier bearing bracket for all I know (and sounds like this is the case from your experience).

ive never done the conversion but notice and try to remember the carrier bracket issue,these are probaly very diff to find if thats the only piece one needs after discovering they forgot it so
just thought,could the slightly off bracket be shimmed or shaved to line up?
or is it in the wrong place in a side to side measurement?
not off by being too far up or down i mean
Old 02-17-2017, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by maximagician
ive never done the conversion but notice and try to remember the carrier bracket issue,these are probaly very diff to find if thats the only piece one needs after discovering they forgot it so
just thought,could the slightly off bracket be shimmed or shaved to line up?
or is it in the wrong place in a side to side measurement?
not off by being too far up or down i mean
I don't remember what the issue was, that's been probably 8 or 9 years ago now. I want to say it wasn't letting the axle sit totally perpendicular to the transmission.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

you'll have a forever leak if you don't use the correct carrier bearing bracket.
also you don't really want to shave it unless you can press in a sleeve to off set it correctly.