3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Oem 5 pin AFM (airflow meter)

Old 02-19-2017, 10:03 PM

Oem 5 pin AFM (airflow meter)

So my question is, has anyone purchased a 3rd party AFM to replace there bad factory afm's. I'm asking this because I'm having issues with my AFM (90 maxima) and it's a 5 pin afm, I went to the junk yard today to get a replacement and found one out of a 92 SE(ve30de) and it was a 4 pin afm and when I searched for the part on Rock auto they all seem to be 4 pin . I cross referenced the 2 years and they both came up with the same part number (4 pin) . Has anyone installed a 4 pin with no issue or were able to fine a 5 pin new
Old 02-21-2017, 06:53 AM

You may want to do a search first more confirmation but if I remember correctly some time back with someone having that same question I believe the conclusion was that though the maf has 5 pins it only utilizes 4. How many wires are on the harness side?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:59 PM

It's 5 pin on both sides . Connector and AFM too....

I actually fixed the issue I was having with the AFM, it ended up being calcium film/corrosion build up on the copper terminals which I scraped off and applied a thin layer or solder, since the solder won't corrod as easy. Also pulled each connector out of the plug and soldered the crimping point of each connector. So now contact is are good and the throttle response has improved... But I'm still curious about the AFM 5 pin vs the new/aftermarket 4 pin AFM for future reference .
Old 03-06-2017, 04:24 AM

Thread jumping cause it definitely fits here. Are their two sizes to the MAF sensor? Besides being 4 pin and 5 pin, are their two different circumferences that hook up towards the throttle body? I've had two different experiences where i ordered a new MAF sensor and it's been too small and not fit. Is it possible my gxe mas is bigger, and i've been buying se mas?

Search this Thread