3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Problem with headlight switch.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:05 PM

Problem with headlight switch.

So i noticed when i switch on my high beams sometimes they will stay on for a few seconds and turn off by themselves even if the switch is still pushed back. Sometimes they wont go on at all(the highbeam indicator light wont even pop up) Sometimes only 1 high beam will go on and the other light will turn off completely and sometimes when i flip the switch both headlights will just turn off completely..Crazy stuff. I got a switch from a junk yard and still does the same thing, switched out the bulbs and still does the same thing. Anyone have any idea or know where to start with this problem?
Old 03-09-2017, 02:33 PM

9 out of 10 it's the headlight/combination switch. Check the relays by the battery but all the times mine acted crazy it was the switch.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:53 PM

There is a thread about cleaning the contacts. I have a similar problem. The high beams turn on while I'm at the low beam setting. If I don't turn it to the high position while off, the driver side will have high beams on... sometimes.
Not I fix I need to concern with myself at this time.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:27 PM

Thanks guys..The bulbs i tried were some that i had laying around, i guess it's possible they could of been bad to so i ordered some new one. It's not that big a deal i guess since it's not like i use my high beams very often. Just something i noticed recently..
Old 03-11-2017, 10:13 AM

I replaced mine to fix high-beam on-off problem. I got a Beck-Arnley at AutoZone for cheap. Don't mess with the junkyards. This switch is still available new.