3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Maxima Lift Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima Lift Kit?

I've been trying to do some research on if this is possible or not, but haven't gotten a clear answer. I want to lift the car (not sure by how much yet) and put off-road/ mud tires on it. Wanting to make my maxima into a rally car. Even 1 1/2 - 2 inches is better than nothing, the mud tires will also lift it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ps. I know about the custom fabrication I'll have to do in order to fit mud tires.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:02 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

I have no idea how this is typically done, but personally if I were going to do this I think I would look into just adding spacers between the top of the strut and the strut tower. You could get 2" aluminum spacers made up that basically behave just like a spacer for wheels.

The only caveat would be that you'd either need to add longer studs to the strut mount itself so that they're long enough to stick up through the strut tower holes OR design an "adapter style" spacer in which the original studs bolt into the spacer and the spacer itself has new studs built in.

Again, I have no idea if this is typically how it's done, but this is how I would go about it off the top of my head. I do feel it would be easiest and also would be nice that you keep your stock struts/parts - all you're doing is adding a part vs. modifying things or trying to make longer struts/springs from another car work etc.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:25 AM

your best bet would be coil overs with longer shocks and springs, that would give you a little more travel. Keep in mind the higher you go the more you are going to run into bump steer issue and such unless you build a whole new suspension set up with long control arms, a multi link set up would be the best since it would get rid of some of the camber sweep issues.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:49 AM

Might have to run a longer brake hose as well, otherwise it could tear.