3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Gonna sell my car, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gonna sell my car, need some advice

I have a 1989 Nissan Maxima, miles are pretty high on it (duh) and the key's been stuck in the ignition since last year thanks to the awesome alarm system in it which killed the battery and autolocks itself up when I do anything to remove this key. I've done all I could but it just won't start and I'm in a situation where I need to sell it in the next few weeks. Since I don't have the time to properly fix it up and make it run again, I'm weighing out my options for how and where to sell it, and look for a price to put on this thing. It has medium rust, ran absolutely perfect before, and has new tyres. Please help me out!!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:58 PM

Where are you located?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:01 PM

Also, does your Maxima have the keypad on the door?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

East coast and yes
Old 07-25-2017, 01:07 PM

I did some searching around the forum and came across this on completely disabling the anti-theft system. It's referring to a box underneath the dash on the drivers side:

yes it should disable the whole alarm, just unplug that connector with all the wires on it leading to the box.

the box should be the one in the middle (the gold one) with the wires going into it, it should be the alarm box. the only thing im unsure of is whether that is it or its the box behind it, you will kow when you unplug the plug and the blinking security light on the dash doesnt go on when the door is open, but just disconnect that clump of wires from the box and it should fix everything..
Here is the original thread with this quote being near the bottom

It solved the problem for that guy. It sounds like you have very similar issues.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:08 PM

Regarding the keypad: on my Max if I hit the ST button and punch in the 4-digit unlock code it always disables the alarm.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by AzureblueZ
Regarding the keypad: on my Max if I hit the ST button and punch in the 4-digit unlock code it always disables the alarm.
I have no clue what the code is though.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:11 PM

More info I'm finding as I search about unplugging the stock alarm:

It's just a little silver box with a plug on the underside.
it should be right in front of the TCU it says anti-theft deterrant system or something like that. just unplug it thats it.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by neessanhelpman
I have no clue what the code is though.
Found this from another thread on resetting your door code:
look up under your dash on the passenger side under the glove box. all the way over (on the side your door is on) is a gold box. it's kinda hard to see and you'll have to look for a minute to find it. there is a sticker on the gold box that has a number on it. write that number down and go to the number pad on your door. hit the button that says "st" on it. type in the number that you found under the glove box. you should then hear a beeping sound. while it is making that sound, type in what you want your code to be. wait for the beeping to stop and then hit "st" again and try your code. it should work. oh yeah, your code needs to be 5 numbers long w/ out repeating the same number 3 times in a row.