3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

UR flywheel (test results)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2002, 09:48 PM

UR flywheel (test results)

I have just finished breaking in my Centerforce DF and Unorthodox flywheel. Well let's just start off by saying that Unorthodox does not really even make a flywheel for the 3rd gen Maxima's. What they do is sell one made by a company called "AASCO" that is what is stamped on my flywheel, not one place on it says UR or Unothodox Racing.I paid $590 dollars for mine and now I find out that "AASCO" sell there's for $425 dollars. But aleast I got TWO "UR" STICKERS not bad for $165.It looks like a very quality product.

Well here is the important part. I LOVE this flywheel. The motor revs SOOOOO much faster it almost sounds like a street bike.I can't wait untill I get a UDP.Throttle responce is much better, even in fifth gear.I will admit that I let it stall out a few time before I got used to the grab of the clutch and weight of the flywheel. You have to rev it a little higher to take off, but after that it just about the same with more power.I would go so far as two say that I might have even gained some torque as well as HP. I will post some quarter times as the track opens. If you have any questions just e-mail me or post a reply.

Thanks
Jason
Old 02-01-2002, 09:57 PM

Nice.....

i dont drive stick .. but i realy want to. can you shift faster? then before?... i know in my friends honda you cant shift fast at all, you have to press the clutch slllllooooowwwwwwwwwwwlllllyyyyyy or hold it down... something like that...
Old 02-01-2002, 11:03 PM
STFU n00b!

I had my stock flywheel lightened, and I'm using the ASP underdrive pulley... when I shift, I now have to shift twice as fast as with the stock setup, or the engine RPM would drop so fast I'd be back at idle before I'd let out on the clutch and the car would jerk...

CAN you shift faster than before them? no. these mods don't amke a difference there.

does the engine respond faster and rev faster? definitely.
do you gain power? definitely.
Old 02-02-2002, 10:49 PM

SWEEET

Originally posted by Matt93SE
I had my stock flywheel lightened, and I'm using the ASP underdrive pulley... when I shift, I now have to shift twice as fast as with the stock setup, or the engine RPM would drop so fast I'd be back at idle before I'd let out on the clutch and the car would jerk...

CAN you shift faster than before them? no. these mods don't amke a difference there.

does the engine respond faster and rev faster? definitely.
do you gain power? definitely.
Hey wassup, yo that's soo sick i really would want to do that to my '92 SE. The only thing is, that it costs madd $$, which i dont, anyway, is there anything at all you could do to get faster revs. that wouldn't cost as much??
Old 02-03-2002, 11:15 AM

Re: UR flywheel (test results)

Originally posted by Jason92SE
I have just finished breaking in my Centerforce DF and Unorthodox flywheel. Well let's just start off by saying that Unorthodox does not really even make a flywheel for the 3rd gen Maxima's. What they do is sell one made by a company called "AASCO" that is what is stamped on my flywheel, not one place on it says UR or Unothodox Racing.I paid $590 dollars for mine and now I find out that "AASCO" sell there's for $425 dollars. But aleast I got TWO "UR" STICKERS not bad for $165.It looks like a very quality product.

Well here is the important part. I LOVE this flywheel. The motor revs SOOOOO much faster it almost sounds like a street bike.I can't wait untill I get a UDP.Throttle responce is much better, even in fifth gear.I will admit that I let it stall out a few time before I got used to the grab of the clutch and weight of the flywheel. You have to rev it a little higher to take off, but after that it just about the same with more power.I would go so far as two say that I might have even gained some torque as well as HP. I will post some quarter times as the track opens. If you have any questions just e-mail me or post a reply.

Thanks
Jason
so where can you get the "AASCO" flywheel . . . lol. if it's the same thing i'll just buy it through them!!!!!! how did you find out it was that much? i was gonna do this over the summer anyway! please let me know!!!! thanks
Old 02-04-2002, 08:42 AM

Re: Re: UR flywheel (test results)

Here is the link http://www.expage.com/mtmaxima to where I found the flywheel cheaper. I forgot to mention that I was ordering the flywheel directly for the UR website.And not some place like NOPI that might hace screwed up and sent me a AASCO flywheel instead. I would suggest that if your replacing the clutch in the furture save up and get a good clucth and the flywheel at the sametime.

Good luck
Jason

PS I also ordered a "pliot bearing" instead of a bushing from NISMO, if you order on just get one for the Z's it will fit.
Old 03-31-2002, 10:13 AM

what pilot bearing? i was lookin and i wasn't sure which one.
Old 03-31-2002, 04:25 PM
STFU n00b!

the ACT clutch kit from courtesy comes with one. don't worry about it.. just use that one, as it'll do everything you need.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the ACT clutch kit from courtesy comes with one. don't worry about it.. just use that one, as it'll do everything you need.

is the clutch stuff they sell act or is it somewhere else one their site??????? thanks.
Old 04-01-2002, 10:26 AM

it's gonna take 2-6 weeks to get the flywheel in!!!!! augh
Old 04-01-2002, 10:28 AM

also, that maxxima tuning place won't answer the phone . . .
Old 04-01-2002, 02:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

does this have any effects on an auto tranny? just curious...