3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Recommendations on Struts and Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 10:08 PM

Recommendations on Struts and Springs

Does anyone have any recommendations on what struts and springs I should get for my '91? I want to stiffen the suspension without lowering it. One guy I was talking to mentioned KYB. I have heard of Tokico. Any thoughts on either one or maybe another? I was also told that one factory strut for my '91 costs me 5 bills. That is hard to believe considering a pair of KYB's are about $60.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:31 PM

Check the stickies on the top of the page for some good ideas about what to look for.

If you have the electronically adjustable suspension, that's something else. I don't have much experience with that beast.

Old 02-05-2002, 10:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Maybe he thinks you have the crazy Sonar Suspension? (Do you?...)

In order of price and reputation, it goes KYB, Tokico, Koni. It kinda becomes a debate whether the KYBs buy you less performance than the Toks or Konis though.... Just search and pray!

AFAIK, there are no stiffer aftermarket springs that don't lower it. The best handling ones also happen to be the ones that lower it the least - Eibach. They lower 1.2-1.5" depending who you ask.

I'm planning on going the same route as you (as soon as weather and $$ permit) and I suppose the best we can do is get all the chassis stiffeners we can and then get either the Suspension Tech front/rear sway combo or the Addco RSB. I'm holding out on struts till I really need them. Chassis stiffeners include a FSTB, and WSP's recently unvieled Subframe Connectors in two stages. I'm still debating about which way to go for sways as opinion varies about this too.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:32 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Recommendations on Struts and Springs

Tockico Struts and Eibach springs.....the Eibachs will lower the car 1.2"(barely noticable) and the Toks will be a good moderately stiff setup for your struts! shouldn't run you more than $350-400!

Originally posted by tmnismo91
Does anyone have any recommendations on what struts and springs I should get for my '91? I want to stiffen the suspension without lowering it. One guy I was talking to mentioned KYB. I have heard of Tokico. Any thoughts on either one or maybe another? I was also told that one factory strut for my '91 costs me 5 bills. That is hard to believe considering a pair of KYB's are about $60.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

And once again, I find out I type hella slow...
Old 02-05-2002, 10:35 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by Bman
And once again, I find out I type hella slow...
well you beat me.....
Old 02-06-2002, 04:04 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by DA-MAX

well you beat me.....
well you do have a VG
Old 02-06-2002, 06:22 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

check the group buy section...shox.com have decent prices on shocks and springs.

just keep in mind what kind of rd conditions you drive on before you consider to lower your car or not.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:40 AM

Man how many times a day do you have to ask these questions, "what kind of struts and springs" And people say i asked the question on turbo often, people do a serach, Theres about 300 threads on this. Not to be rude or anything, but to come on this site and read same threads over and over its getting borring.
Old 02-06-2002, 07:47 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Recommendations on Struts and Springs

Originally posted by Maximum5spd

Man how many times a day do you have to ask these questions, "what kind of struts and springs" And people say i asked the question on turbo often, people do a serach, Theres about 300 threads on this. Not to be rude or anything, but to come on this site and read same threads over and over its getting borring.
yes...yes...use search function.
on the flip side...you don't HAVE to click on the thread..you don't HAVE to click on maxima.org.
it's the same the other way around..people get mad at u for posting questions about turbo this and that and u tell people not to read the thread or not to click on the link.
Old 02-06-2002, 08:02 AM

Re: Re: Re: Recommendations on Struts and Springs

Originally posted by DanNY

yes...yes...use search function.
on the flip side...you don't HAVE to click on the thread..you don't HAVE to click on maxima.org.
it's the same the other way around..people get mad at u for posting questions about turbo this and that and u tell people not to read the thread or not to click on the link.
yea but comon, u know this question is being asked every single day over and over and over and over and over........etc. And you always get same answer (tokico & Eibach)

lol.....sorry just really bored at work, and no one is on my buddy list,
Old 02-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Recommendations on Struts and Springs

Originally posted by Maximum5spd

yea but comon, u know this question is being asked every single day over and over and over and over and over........etc. And you always get same answer (tokico & Eibach)

lol.....sorry just really bored at work, and no one is on my buddy list,
tru tru..
Old 02-06-2002, 04:30 PM

Well as you all can tell, I am a newbie. So how am I to tell that someone already asked this same exact question? And if all else fails, don't read the thread. Simple as that. Obviously if you click the thread and respond with "Do a search," then chances are you probably don't have an answer to the thread. For those who are kind enough to give me suggestions, those are the posts I am interested in.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:34 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Well as you all can tell, I am a newbie. So how am I to tell that someone already asked this same exact question? And if all else fails, don't read the thread. Simple as that. Obviously if you click the thread and respond with "Do a search," then chances are you probably don't have an answer to the thread. For those who are kind enough to give me suggestions, those are the posts I am interested in.
don't worry about him...just another day at the org.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by DanNY

don't worry about him...just another day at the org.

i like that phrase