3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Passenger side CV Axle stuck, HOW DO I GET IT OUT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002 | 05:38 PM

It's a 89 GXE
Old 02-22-2002 | 06:18 PM

You have to undo the three little bolts that hold the axle to what looks like a carrier bearing. It is where the axle bends to go straight into the tranny. If you've already unbolted it, then you'll just have to give the axle a good pull. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 02-22-2002 | 06:52 PM

I took off the nuts.. i also pulled, hammered, pryed, and it still doesnt come out... any other suggestions?
Old 02-22-2002 | 07:48 PM

Originally posted by edpaek
I took off the nuts.. i also pulled, hammered, pryed, and it still doesnt come out... any other suggestions?
BEFORE you started this job, why did you read the chiltons on how to do it? Why didn't you search for this topic before also?

Honestly, I would probably be able to figure it out, because i watched mine being changed, but i dont' know how to explain it. You need to work from under the car, where it goes into the tranny. Also you need something to collect the transmission fluid that will spill all over like crazy.
Old 02-22-2002 | 07:49 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ok here's what you do...
look at the carriage bearing area.
you notice there's a split down the middle. one side stays on the engine..the other side is on the axle itself. get a small hammer and tap the side that stays on the axle..tap it so it starts to turn/spin. once that happens..tap it back the other way...go back and forth until there's a small gap in between. from that spray some WD40 or something that's similar in the crack. get a screw drive and start prying. if it's tight use the hammer to tap the same spot while prying. it'll come out. when it's close to the end..get to the side of the wheel and pull..it'll come out.

good luck.
Old 02-22-2002 | 08:45 PM

Originally posted by xXxMulePowerxXx

BEFORE you started this job, why did you read the chiltons on how to do it? Why didn't you search for this topic before also?

Honestly, I would probably be able to figure it out, because i watched mine being changed, but i dont' know how to explain it. You need to work from under the car, where it goes into the tranny. Also you need something to collect the transmission fluid that will spill all over like crazy.
let's see... well... i already have the chiltons manual and the factory manual... I've done a search, and... OH MY GOD! The car is on the lift and I tried every single thing imaginable!!! Is that a damn good enough reason!?!?!
Old 02-22-2002 | 08:46 PM

Originally posted by DanNY

ok here's what you do...
look at the carriage bearing area.
you notice there's a split down the middle. one side stays on the engine..the other side is on the axle itself. get a small hammer and tap the side that stays on the axle..tap it so it starts to turn/spin. once that happens..tap it back the other way...go back and forth until there's a small gap in between. from that spray some WD40 or something that's similar in the crack. get a screw drive and start prying. if it's tight use the hammer to tap the same spot while prying. it'll come out. when it's close to the end..get to the side of the wheel and pull..it'll come out.

good luck.
Thanks for the info Danny, I already tried that... It's like it is alomst welded on... I sprayed the WD, I'll let it sit till tomm morning and see if it does anything.. THanks
Old 02-22-2002 | 08:50 PM

let's see... well... i already have the chiltons manual and the factory manual... I've done a search, and... OH MY GOD! The car is on the lift and I tried every single thing imaginable!!! Is that a damn good enough reason!?!?!
No.
Old 02-22-2002 | 08:53 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Thanks for the info Danny, I already tried that... It's like it is alomst welded on... I sprayed the WD, I'll let it sit till tomm morning and see if it does anything.. THanks
get a bigger hammer than. eat some wheaties and hike up your skirt. hit the part hard enough to spin it. it'll come out.