3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

spoiler light

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 07:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

spoiler light

My spoiler light wont come on could i have a short in the wire or do you think its the fuse my other brake lights work any suggestions and how do i change the fuse do i just pull them out and push the new ones in thanks.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: spoiler light

Originally posted by 91REDMAX
My spoiler light wont come on could i have a short in the wire or do you think its the fuse my other brake lights work any suggestions and how do i change the fuse do i just pull them out and push the new ones in thanks.
yes, that would be how you change a fuse, look at teh fuse, there should be a small piece of metal that connects the two "legs" if it's broken then the fuse is burned out, otherwise, it's allright

but that's not your problem, if your other brake lights are working, your spoiler one should too, they are on teh same fuse
have you tried replacing teh bulbs? Just two screws on the cover and you can get to them
Old 02-23-2002, 01:48 PM

mine does the same thing, is not a short if your otherones work, and its probably not the bulb, i dont think that i have gotten a clear answer on how to fix it though?
Old 02-23-2002, 06:24 PM

my spoiler light did that i just happened to fool around with the wires and harness and they have been working ever since
Old 02-23-2002, 06:32 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

it probably is the bulb

Originally posted by maximusSE
mine does the same thing, is not a short if your otherones work, and its probably not the bulb, i dont think that i have gotten a clear answer on how to fix it though?
that what it sounds like to me
Old 02-23-2002, 10:25 PM

My brake lights dont work either, i just leave it alone and took out the cover and everything, it saves weight
Old 02-24-2002, 06:50 AM

Re: spoiler light

Originally posted by 91REDMAX

I had a car that did that once the problem was where the wire harness bends from opening and closing the trunk. The wire has to bend at one spot. So from opening and closing the trunk it breaks.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:45 PM

my spoiler brake light is out too

I noticed you guys are referring to your 3rd gens with this problem. Mine is a 4th gen and I just noticed it while checking my new taillight installation. All brake lights work except for the spoiler.

I did manage to find this problem noted in the FAQ, in one particular case being a resistor on the circuit board. Apparently there are several--if one blows, no lights work.

Taking a closeup look at the red LED cover, I noticed an unusual black spot. I'm thinking this might be the blown resistor. I can't believe it would be the wiring... the taillight wiring has nothing to do with the spoiler light--it has it's own connection to the brake light switch.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:31 AM

Re: Re: spoiler light

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

yes, that would be how you change a fuse, look at teh fuse, there should be a small piece of metal that connects the two "legs" if it's broken then the fuse is burned out, otherwise, it's allright

but that's not your problem, if your other brake lights are working, your spoiler one should too, they are on teh same fuse
have you tried replacing teh bulbs? Just two screws on the cover and you can get to them
you are teh funny
Old 04-25-2002, 11:53 AM

Re: Re: Re: spoiler light

Originally posted by Brandon90gxe

you are teh funny
MY 90 max did the same thing. I found out that i did not have a ground. I just splice that ground wire to another ground wire. That was the end of that problem.
Old 04-26-2002, 06:29 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: my spoiler brake light is out too

Originally posted by Gary95
I noticed you guys are referring to your 3rd gens with this problem. Mine is a 4th gen and I just noticed it while checking my new taillight installation. All brake lights work except for the spoiler.

I did manage to find this problem noted in the FAQ, in one particular case being a resistor on the circuit board. Apparently there are several--if one blows, no lights work.

Taking a closeup look at the red LED cover, I noticed an unusual black spot. I'm thinking this might be the blown resistor. I can't believe it would be the wiring... the taillight wiring has nothing to do with the spoiler light--it has it's own connection to the brake light switch.
3rd gen = 2 light bulbs
4th gen = row of LEDs
Old 04-27-2002, 06:35 PM

You guys have lights on your spoilers??
I'm jealous!
I really wish I did, because I saw a really neat mod on here a while back about re-wiring the trunk and doing some photoshop editing on a sticker to make the "Maxima" logo on the trunk light up in red when you hit the brakes... I thought that would be neat...
But, I guess I have to do it the hard way... I'm starting to run out of duct tape!