3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

87 in a 89?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

87 in a 89?

Alright...so I bought my max a couple of months ago, spent some time cleaning it up thoughly inside and out, and I come across this. The original owner of the car (a 89 SE) accidentially burnt up the engine when a radiator hose busted and he had it replaced with a rebuilt engine from Nissan. I am a previous owner of an 87 SE before I stepped it up to the 3rd Gens, so I know what the 2nd gen's motor looks like. However, in the receipt I found on the rebuilt engine, It says it was replaced with an 87! The 87's also have a VG, but one only pushing 152 Vs 160(89's) hps? Right? AND the entire intake manifold on the two engines are completely different. So, I am wondering if it is indeed possible that I have an 87 engine in my 89 Max. From what I can see, it sure looks like the VG30E in every other 89-91 SE in the world! What things can I look for to tell? Is it possible that this is simply a mis-print?

-One more question, I've heard it recommended to use one qt. of synthetic oil to every 4 qt. of conventional oil. That is, if you are not going to go 100% synthetic. I have searched it and found out it's OK to switch b/t the two if you want, but would this 1-to-4 ratio be a bad idea? What about any of the oil additives, such as the "Mystery Oil". Would this be benefical to the older engines?
-Thanks for any info you can provide
Old 03-02-2002, 01:22 PM

someone just posted something similiar do a search. I do know that although they are both VG's Nissan did alot of thing different to the VG in the 89-94's I mean alot!
Old 03-02-2002, 03:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I did that...no help

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
someone just posted something similiar do a search. I do know that although they are both VG's Nissan did alot of thing different to the VG in the 89-94's I mean alot!
OK Monte, I did a thorough search and still come up with NADA! Sure, there are tons of posts for Z31 turbo swaps and "differences in VG-VE engines, but I'll be damned if I can't find anything on the specific question at hand.

-help...anybody?
Oh, and if the initial question was too wordy or indirect, Is it possible that I have a rebuilt 1987 engine in my 1989 SE Max? The intake manifold and EVERYTHING Else looks just like all other 89 VG's. Ok, Thanks in advance.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:05 PM
Schmoo

Get a Haynes or Chilton manual and study the differences between the pre-89 and 89-post engines. You should be able to figure out definitely which you've got.

Old 03-02-2002, 07:11 PM

I don't think it's possible, but there's one way to tell, for sure, if it's an 87 or an 89 engine in there. If you have a repair manual, there are obvious differences. The biggest one is the labaling. On the 3rd gen VG engines, they have a silver colored air intake collector with "V6 3000" running in the middle in small print. The 2nd gen VG's have "V6 3000" running across the whole air intake collector. If you don't know what the air intake collector is, it's the big thing in the middle of the engine that the air intake runs in to. The major way to tell is the location the air inlet tube enters. If it's on the drivers side, than it's a 2nd gen engine. If it's at the front of the car, it's a 3rd gen engine.

I don't think it's a 2nd gen engine, but I've never heard about anyone swapping an 87 engine into a 3rd gen, so I'm not sure if it's possible or not. The engines of a 2nd gen are noticably different from those of a 3rd gen. You should have no problem telling the difference.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:07 AM

the person could have got a bare engine and had everything swapped from the old engine.if that is possible.
Old 03-03-2002, 03:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by VTECSTALKER
the person could have got a bare engine and had everything swapped from the old engine.if that is possible.
That's what I was thinking. Maybe only the shortblock assembly (or even just the block and internals) are 87 and happen to be compatible with the later VG hardware. I can see this being done.

Not too sure about the synthetic mix idea, although it's a possibility I've seen suggested before. Something about if you want some of the benefits of synthetic (like the detergent additives) it's better to blend your own than get a mix. I imagine it would lubricate a small bit better than just plain oil too. I thought of doing this (since I used to be "frugal" before getting the Max ) but I decided she deserved the best and just bought a jug of Mobil 1. I also liked the fact that synthetic oil doesn't break down like regular oil does and only gets dirty.

I don't know about Mystery Oil, but the popular opinion is that oil additives are a waste of money and you're better off simply changing the oil regularly, be it synthetic or regular.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks but...

Guys/and Gals?,
Thanks, but I was looking for a little more on the engine swap. Gamezilla, thanx man, but I'm not a complete moron. As I stated in the original post, I've been driving my 2nd gen for the past 3 years. So, I'm familiar with what the intake manifold/collector/etc. looks like on those models. You are correct, it is blatenly obvious by simply giving them a one-over which engine I have if I was only concerned with this intake manifold. However, I think one of the later guys were getting warmer with the possibility of the short block assembly being swapped. I'm wondering if it is possible to switch the blocks, the ENGINE from an 87 to an 89, with the 89's intake manifold assembly on it. You know what I mean? My car definately has the intake manifold/air collector of the 3rd gen models, so I'm wondering about what is BELOW that assembly. Also, I've reviewed the Haynes manual about this and still am not certain. There are obvious differences with the two totally different air collectors, etc. but as far as the guts of the engine, I'm still uncertain. Thanks all, for the help and info you may provide, I appreciate it.