3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help...Not Starting!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 12:32 AM

Help...Not Starting!

Ok, I went out with a few friends tonight and drove about 45 minutes away to a club. Everything was fine. When the club got out, I tried to start the car, and it wouldnt kick over. The starter was going but there was no gas getting to the engine! I just read some other posts about it being the starter, but I dont think thats the problem. Now, I just got home (thank goodness I saw my cousin there) and my car is still there. Would the rain have anything to do with it? I wasnt raining when I got there. This car hasnt ever given me engine troubles before. Any suggestions for when I go back to get it?
Old 03-03-2002, 12:44 AM

Hmm.

First check to see if you're getting any ignition by pulling one of the wires off of a plug and holding the end to a bolt on the chassis that's grounded, like the STB nuts or upper radiator mounting bolts. If your ignition is good, check your fuel pump fuse. If it's not blown, pull the plugs after a 5 second crank or so and see if you smell strong fuel in the cylinder. If not, you may have a fuel deliverty problem somewhere.

If the ignition isn't sparking to the ground like stated above you might have a blown coil, power transistor, or REALLY bad cap/rotor/wires (unlikely)

Good luck and email me if you need to.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:52 AM

Thank you for the tips Kaleb, unfortunately, my car is about 50 miles away and I hope that I can get a ride out there tomorrow morning to try it out. So, when I take the plug wire off and put it over a bolt should I see a spark? It was raining tonight. Sometimes I notice a little water in the trunk like there is a leak near the trunk lid. This is on the Driver side. Maybe some water got near the fuel pump? I will email you tomorrow with any updates too.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:52 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Help...Not Starting!

this sounds VERY similiar....one day I was out driving my car for most of the day(7am-3pm) I come home, park and turn off the car....5 minutes later I come back out and the SOB doesn't start, it cranks, but no ignition! Mind you it showed no problems on the ride home...so I let it sit over night, low and behold next morning I started and its ran 100% again!! I can't really remember if it rained that day, but there was serious temp drop with the weather(ike 60's to 20's) from the day before, to this day I have no idea why this happen, but it hasn't happened again since!

Originally posted by DaBoxGTI
Ok, I went out with a few friends tonight and drove about 45 minutes away to a club. Everything was fine. When the club got out, I tried to start the car, and it wouldnt kick over. The starter was going but there was no gas getting to the engine! I just read some other posts about it being the starter, but I dont think thats the problem. Now, I just got home (thank goodness I saw my cousin there) and my car is still there. Would the rain have anything to do with it? I wasnt raining when I got there. This car hasnt ever given me engine troubles before. Any suggestions for when I go back to get it?
Old 03-03-2002, 12:55 AM

Re: Re: Help...Not Starting!

Originally posted by DA-MAX
this sounds VERY similiar....one day I was out driving my car for most of the day(7am-3pm) I come home, park and turn off the car....5 minutes later I come back out and the SOB doesn't start, it cranks, but no ignition! Mind you it showed no problems on the ride home...so I let it sit over night, low and behold next morning I started and its ran 100% again!! I can't really remember if it rained that day, but there was serious temp drop with the weather(ike 60's to 20's) from the day before, to this day I have no idea why this happen, but it hasn't happened again since!

I pray that happens to me tomorrow. If it does start, I want to know WHY it didnt in the first place... But most likely it wont since the rain doesnt end until monday!
Old 03-03-2002, 02:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Moisture/consensation in the distributor cap? Or maybe a short in the ignition system from water? These won't show up as a problem later when it's all dried out....
Old 03-03-2002, 08:27 AM
i SeE what you did therE

i bet when you get there the car will be covered in bird poop...

the won't be able to resist it..

and i hope it runs tomorrow
Old 03-03-2002, 08:46 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

those were my thoughts excatly!!!

Originally posted by Bman
Moisture/consensation in the distributor cap? Or maybe a short in the ignition system from water?
Old 03-03-2002, 08:57 AM

Going to get the car now, I'll let you know how it turns out later this afternoon. Thanks people!
Old 03-03-2002, 02:53 PM

Aight guys, it was the fuel pump fuse! I am glad thats all that was wrong with it, but at the same I wish I knew that last night! So needless to say, I put the new fuse in there and it started up. So, thank you for all the help. I almost lost faith in my max for a while there, but its all good now. Why would the fuse blow out like that? Im afraid it might happen again. Thanks guys!
Old 03-04-2002, 05:33 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by DaBoxGTI
Aight guys, it was the fuel pump fuse! I am glad thats all that was wrong with it, but at the same I wish I knew that last night! So needless to say, I put the new fuse in there and it started up. So, thank you for all the help. I almost lost faith in my max for a while there, but its all good now. Why would the fuse blow out like that? Im afraid it might happen again. Thanks guys!

well.. fuses just blow eventually... it is hard to say why a fuse blew if you do not have major extras in the car (i.e stereo, neons)